Software and app updates related to 'webp'
Here’s the Jan 2020 edition of the Collectorz.com Newsletter, as always brought to you by CLZ Alwin. No rest for the wicked, as we started 2020 with five big v20 releases for all five Collector programs for Windows. Read on for an overview of what went live this month, plus some sneak preview “what’s cooking” items.
Let’s start with the coolest:
Collectorz.com on AMC NewsWatch TV!
Last Monday, AMC’s NewsWatch TV program had a short feature about Collectorz.com, giving an overview of our products and services, with a focus on the CLZ Books mobile app.
Watch the “CLZ on NewsWatch” video here:
What’s Live and what’s Cooking?
- Collector desktop software:
- Live: V20 for Windows: Folder panel improvements + new Statistics screen
- Cooking: Improved movie file cataloging for Movie Collector Windows
- CLZ mobile apps:
- Live: CLZ Comics 5.1: Better barcode scanning!
- Live: CLZ Music 5.2: New Statistics screen
- Cooking: Sort and search your folder list.
- Cooking: Report unrecognized barcodes, straight from the CLZ Comics app.
- Connect web-based software:
- Live: Improvements to Edit and Add screens
- Live: Faster loading of images through WebP image format
- Cooking: All settings stored server-side, no more cookies
WebP is a new image format, developed by Google, that is producing smaller images compared to JPG and PNG, while preserving image quality. All modern browsers fully support the new WebP format so many websites are now using WebP for a faster browsing experience, consuming less bandwidth.
Of course, our Connect web-based software and the free CLZ Cloud viewer sites are quite heavy on cover images, especially in the Image and Card Views. So we figured switching to WebP could produce a nice boost in performance!
So today, we switched over and are now delivering all cover images and backdrops in WebP format, on all browsers that support it (older browsers still get JPG images).
You will find that your Image View and Cards View will load faster now. The difference is especially noticeable on slower internet connections and mobile devices (if you have a very fast internet connection, the difference will be minimal).
Noticeable on all connection types is the faster loading of the details panel after selecting a different item in your list. Because of the huge difference in the backdrop image sizes, viewing item details is now a lot snappier.