What's new in CLZ Games for Android?
A big update for your CLZ app today. Instead of bringing one big new feature, we decided to work on multiple areas that could be improved, all of them based on the feedback we received from you all. Thanks for that!
Collection Status filter
The 2nd button from the top right (next to the search button) is the Collection Status filter. Previously, it allowed you to filter by All, Collection or Wish List, but with this update, we added all collection status option there as filters, including On order and For Sale.
Also, the button will now be highlighted in yellow when a filter is active, that is, when it is set to anything other than “All”.
Re-designed toolbars at the top
The toolbars at the top have been re-designed, mainly to make the interactive elements stand out more as actual “buttons”.
(Especially the folder icon on the left was something that was often overlooked as something you could tap on. Hopefully this re-design will help to let more users find the most powerful feature of the app 🙂 )
New sort and display options in Settings
- Ignore Sort Titles when sorting by Title
- Show Sort Titles instead of Titles
Improved Statistics screen
The Statistics screen has been updated with:
- More database totals at the top (purchase price, current value)
- More charts (by Year, by Genre, by Completeness, by Completed, Value by Completeness)
- A new: “tap to show all” option to enlarge charts and see ALL entries
A big update for your CLZ Games app!
This time we added a new feature that will save you lots of time:
New Pre-fill screen that pops up when adding games
When adding a game to your database using the Add Games screen, it will now pop-up a new screen called “Pre-fill game details, letting you set various fields right then and there.
Fields available in the Pre-fill screen:
- Completeness (Loose / CIB / New)
- Box / Manual
- Purchase Date
- Purchase Store
- Purchase Price
No more need to edit your added games afterwards!
(BTW: of course, using the new Pre-fill screen is optional. If you don’t want to use it, just uncheck the “Show Pre-fill screen” toggle at thet bottom. You can always re-enable it through the app’s Settings screen.)
- All Collection Status options are now available under the Add button in the Add Screen.
- New look and layout of Field Defaults screen.
Since we introduced the Update Values from PriceCharting feature, one of the most common questions we received at customer support has been:
After I update the values for my games, is there any way I can see which games have been updated?
So, after several years of having to say “sorry, no that is not possible”, we figured, let’s make it possible.
And of course, we went way beyond just showing which games have been updated. As of today, after you run Update Values, you will get a nice “Updated Values” report, showing you:
- which games have been updated
- their previous values and the new values
- the value change, in green when increased, in red when decreased
- total value changes for the updated games and for your entire collection
Here it is, version 6.0 of the CLZ Games mobile app!
In this major update, we bring many improvements to the game value features, plus we finally bring you *the* most requested feature: being able to Edit Multiple Games in one go.
But there’s more, as we took this opportunity to completely re-design the Edit Game screen and to implement super useful Crop and Rotate tools for game cover images.
If you also use the Game Collector desktop software, please update your software and values in the following order to ensure correct syncing of the new Value field:
- First, update your Game Collector desktop software to version 21. Do NOT sync with CLZ Cloud yet.
- Then, update your CLZ Games mobile app to version 6.0.
Only when both sides have been updated to the latest version:
- Use Tools / Update Values in Game Collector.
- Sync with CLZ Cloud in Game Collector.
- Sync with CLZ Cloud in CLZ Games.
Here’s the full list of what’s new in version 6.0:
Improved game value downloading from PriceCharting
The downloading of Loose, CIB and New values from PriceCharting is one of the most popular features of the CLZ Games app. So for this big 6.0 update, we decided to take this feature to the next level, with values for more games, new features and many improvements:
Values for over 25,000 extra games and editions
We started on this project 3 months ago, manually linking over 25 thousand extra Core game entries to the corresponding PriceCharting entries, including lots of new PAL and JP editions. A huge job, but now ALL games and editions that are listing on PriceCharting.com are linked to entries in our Core game database!
Game lists now always show Completeness and PriceCharting values
Also, a new design for the Completeness and Value displaying in the game details.
Now download values in other currencies
Use the Settings screen (choose Settings from the menu) to select your preferred currency for the game value and purchase price fields. Choose from USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, AUD, NZD, CHF, NOK, SEK or DKK.
Then run Update Values again to retrieve games values converted to your selected currency, using the current exchange rate.
Faster Update Values tool
The Update Values tool (in the menu) previously downloaded values one game at a time, but now it does so in batches of 100 games in one go, making it much, much faster.
Edit Game screen, new Value tab
All Value related fields (Completeness, Box, Manual, Value, PC ID, Condition, Purchase info, etc…) are now on their own “Value” tab in the Edit Game screen.
New on this Value tab:
- A nice chart showing the PriceCharting values for Loose, CIB and New.
Tip: tab the bars in the chart to set your Completeness field.
- PriceCharting values are now downloaded into the Value field (previously called “Current Value”). This way, you can now manually override (and lock) the value and always keep your Value Totals correct (in the Statistics screen).
- You can now manually override the PriceCharting ID. Useful for cases where our game entry is linked to the wrong PriceCharting entry and you did find the correct one on the PriceCharting.com site.
- The Completeness field now has an extra N/A option for digital games. This way you can ensure your digital games are not downloading PriceCharting values.
Add Games screen
- In the Add Games from Core screen, you can now set a global US/EU preference for getting US (=NTSC) vs EU (=PAL) values and cover images (this replace the old “US default” and “EU default” entries under a game.
- Search results in the Add Games screen now show Edition, Region and PriceCharting values.
NEW: Edit Multiple Games in one go!
Finally make changes to multiple (or all) game entries in one go.
- Tap and hold on a game in the list to enter Select Mode
- Now tap more game to select them.
- Tap the menu button on the bottom right and choose “Edit [x] Games”.
- In the screen that appears, select which fields you want to edit.
(Tips: use the search box to find fields, tap the star icons to set Favorite fields)
- Tap Edit at the top right.
- Now set values, or leave fields gray to clear them.
- Tap Done at the top right to save the changes to the selected games.
Warning: the Edit Multiple feature is a very useful and powerful feature, but… remember what Uncle Ben said: With great power comes great responsibility!
IMPROVED: Edit Game screen
A new look for all edit boxes and a more compact layout, making it much easier to edit your game entries, without scrolling through long lists of fields.
- The cover image is now on its own tab, so the main tab starts with the most important edit fields at the top.
- All value related fields are now on a separate Value tab (see above)
- Fields are now laid out side-by-side, making it easier to edit all fields without endless scrolling.
- More compact look and user interface for all text edit fields.
- More compact display and editing of multi-value pick list fields like Developers, Publishers, Genres and Tags.
- Date fields: enter year, month day manually or use calendar icon to use date setter popup.
NEW: Built-in Crop and Rotate tool for cover images
In the Edit Game screen the Cover is now on its own tab, with new Crop and Rotate tools for instant rotating and cropping of self-made cover photos or downloaded images.
IMPROVED: Folder Field selection screen
Yep, another update of this screen, to make it fully consistent with the Select Edit Fields screen.
It now includes a search box at the top for quickly finding the field you want, plus the ability to create your own Favorites (just tap the star icons).
Version 6.0 is coming up for all five CLZ mobile apps:
CLZ Books, CLZ Music, CLZ Movies, CLZ Comics and CLZ Games (probably in that order).
For “Vee Six” we decided to finally implement THE most commonly requested feature:
Editing Multiple entries in one go! (aka: Batch Editing)
At the same time, v6 will come with completely re-designed Edit screens. Check out some sneak preview screenshot below. More information about app-specific v6 features and improvements will follow later!
Finally: Edit Multiple entries in one go!
This has been the most common feature request for many years: How can I edit (or clear) the Grade/Location/Owner/etc… for many of my database entries in one go?
And in v6, it will finally be possible:
- Just select the entries you want to edit (using tap and hold), and choose Edit from the menu.
- Then select which fields you want to edit (or clear).
- Finally, set the values you want to set and click Done.
(These screenshots have been taken from the iOS edition of CLZ Comics, but the other 9 apps will look very similar):
Edit screen re-design
Also new in v6: completely re-designed Edit screens, to make them clearer, more compact and nicer looking.
No more long lists of fields, one per row. In the new screen, fields are placed side by side where possible, with the Cover on a separate tab. Resulting in a more compact screen, requiring less scrolling. Especially on tablet devices!
Some sneak preview screenshots:
(These screenshots have been taken from the iOS editions of CLZ Books and CLZ Music, but the other 8 apps will look very similar):
Today’s version 5.4 brings two improvements to your CLZ Games app:
- A redesigned Select Folder Field screen
- A much faster Update from Core feature
Redesigned Select Folder Field screen
Through the years, the number of available folder fields has grown enormously, making the Select Folder Field screen a bit “unwieldy”. We decided to come up with a better solution.
This update includes a redesigned Select Folder Field screen, with all folder options nicely grouped under sensible headers, and the most popular options (Platform, Game/Hardware, Completeness, Genre) instantly accessible at the top.
Faster Update from Core
On large collections the old Update from Core feature was quite slow, as it updated your games one by one, that is doing separate requests to our server for each and every game.
So for this update, we also complete rewrote the Update from Core feature to do the updates in batches of 100 games at a time, making it much much faster!
Remember: Update From Core can be used to update your local game entries with possible extra data from our Core online game database. To use this feature, tap and hold on a game in your list to select it, tap more to select more, then tap the menu icon on the bottom right and choose Update from Core.
- Field Defaults screen could crash
- Edit Screen: some fields would give a bad sorting while editing them
Now live in the App/Play Store, a huge 5.3 update for your CLZ Games app, introducing two big new features:
- Add games by checkboxing from a full platform list.
- Add game hardware by searching our new Core hardware database.
Both are new premium online services, so require an active CLZ Games subscription!
If you are still using CLZ Games in the grandfathered “Unlocked” status, you will have to subscribe before you can use these new services. To do so, just open the menu and near the top, tap “Subscribe for more”.
Add Games by Platform
(in the Add Game screen, use the new “Platform” tab)
Add by Platform is a new 3rd tab in the Add Games screen, for quickly adding all games you own for a platform.
Just select a platform top left, then checkbox the games you own from a full list of games for that platform. Use the US/EU selector to choose which version of the game you want to add.
The list also clearly highlights in the games you already have, making it a perfect tool for platform completionists. Use the filter top right and select “Not in collection” to make the list show only the games that are not in your app yet.
Add Hardware from Core
(In the menu, choose “Add Hardware from Core”)
Search our new Core online hardware database, to easily add consoles, controllers and other accessories. Automatically get descriptions, box images, device images, backdrop images, sometimes even YouTube promo videos.
Use the platform selector top right to search within a platform. Limit the search results to consoles, controllers and other accessories using the “Search for” filter.
IMPORTANT: both are premium online services, so require an active CLZ Games subscription!
- In the Add from Core screen, when adding a game that is already in your app as ‘On Wish List’ or ‘On Order’, the app will now offer to change its status to ‘In Collection’.
- When scanning barcodes the “beep” sound would only sound on the first scan
Faster CLZ Cloud syncing!
We have made several structural changes to the CLZ Cloud syncing, making it much much faster than before, especially when syncing large amounts of entries up to the CLZ Cloud or down from the CLZ Cloud.
To enjoy the faster syncing, you need to use the actual Sync with CLZ Cloud screen.
(The Auto-Syncing in the background is also slightly faster now, but if you need to sync many entries up or down, please use the Sync with CLZ Cloud screen.)
New design for Sync with CLZ Cloud screen
While we were at it, we decided to do a quick make-over for the Sync screen, with a new look and layout and a direct link to your CLZ Cloud page online.
- Made the touch area for scrollbars a bit bigger (useful for quick scrolling)
- Added a “Clear” button in the search box in the Add Screen
In this update we introduce a new quick-search for your folders, sorting your folders by the counters, and more stable cloud syncing through our brand-new dedicated Sync-server.
Quick-search your folders
Grouping in folders is a powerful way to browse and filter your collection. Just group by Platform, or Developer, etc… tap a folder and the list will give you all games for the selected Platform or Developer.
However, if your collection spans thousands of games and a lot of platforms, that “tap a folder” part is sometimes easier said than done. It may require lots of scrolling in the folder list.
But not anymore! This version introduces a new search box right above the folder list, that lets you instantly search/filter the folder list as you type! Just typing a few letters is often enough to bring the folder you are looking for into view:
Sort folders by count
By default, the folders are sorted alphabetically. But as of today, there is another option: sort your folders by the counter, that is by the number of games contained.
Sorting by the counters is a nice way to find the most popular Platforms, Developers, Genres, etc..
Switch between the Alphabetical and By Count sorting using the sort toggle at the top:
Improved barcode scanning
We have improved the scan engine and gave it a larger “scan area”. This should help scan barcodes faster and easier.
Now uses our brand-new CLZ Cloud Sync-server
Previously one big server was handling the Connect website, the CLZ Cloud website AND the CLZ Cloud syncing from the desktop programs and the mobile apps.
But this week we have set up a brand-new dedicated Sync-server to handle just the CLZ Cloud syncing.
In today’s update, CLZ Games has been updated to sync through this new server, which should result in faster syncing and a more stable syncing experience during high load times (weekends).
- You can now folder group on “Purchase Date Year” and “Completed Date Year.
- Rare incident where timeouts occurred during CLZ Cloud sync.
It’s finally here, CLZ Games 5.0. Here’s what’s new in v5:
- CLZ Games is now a subscription app
Of course, all existing users have been “grandfathered” into a life-time app unlock.
- Now supports and syncs multiple collections
Create and sync multiple “sub collections” within your database.
- Automatic cloud-syncing of your own “custom” images
No more need to manually force “Upload Image to CLZ Cloud”.
- New “infographic” style Statistics screen (replaces Database Totals)
Totals, lists and statistics about your game collection.
- Various improvements to the user interface:
- Redesigned top-bar and main menu
- Redesigned Manage Pick Lists screen
- Editing: Easier way to select values for pick list fields.
- Adding: new Clear Queue button to clear the barcode queue.
- All panels in the main screen (folders, list and details) are now resizable using draggable separators between the panels, so that you can customize the layout to your own liking.
- The resizable panels in the Add screen have been updated to use the nicer look of the draggable separators.
- Atari Lynx had the Sega Master System logo as platform icon.
- Added Completeness / hasBox / hasManual fields to the field defaults screen.
New: Redesigned app icon
We designed new icons that give new users a better indication of what the app actually does (as opposed to just a different color CLZ logo), but still obviously belong together, when shown together.
And if you have Android 8.0 or higher, we’re also including an “adaptive app icon” as of today which are in line with all your other app icons!
Some changes in CLZ Games for you:
- The buttons to switch folders, sorting and view options have been moved to more logical places to make them more accessible.
- The skins and templates options are now only available from the settings screen.
- The selection mode button has been removed, just tap and hold on an item to start selecting items.
- Update from Core could (in some cases) overwrite manually entered information for the Series, Edition, Region, Description fields.
New for the Add Games screen:
- Add button is now bigger and easier to spot (some new users missed the little round “+”).
- Add button now “remembers” your collection vs. wish list selection. No need to pick from the Collection/Wish List popup menu every time you add anymore.
- Remove from queue button is now bigger and easier to spot. Tap and hold on a barcode in the queue to select barcodes you want to remove.
- Accented characters in sortnames/titles were sorted incorrectly.
- Main screen: the over-sensitive quickscroll bar in the thumbnail view has been fixed.
- Edit: ‘Done’- button doest not scroll from screen on manual scroll.
- Edit: New ‘Unsaved changes’ dialog.
- Cloud sync: Sync reporting ‘invalid xml’ in rare cases.
We’ve added new fields to sort on to change the order in which your games are displayed in your list. Your game list will adapt to sort and show the field you’re sorting on. On top of that we’ve redesigned the Select Sort Order screen to make it more clear what you’re choosing.
Open the Select Sort Order screen by tapping the menu top right, then tap “Sort order”.
All available sort fields:
- Platform, then Title (New!)
- Platform, then Release Date (New!)
- Release Date
- Order of Entry (New!)
- Purchase Date (New!)
- Purchase Price (New!)
- Price Charting Value (New!)
- Current Value (New!)
- Completion Date (New!)
- My Rating (New!)
- Quantity (New!)
- Storage Device (New!)
All fields can be sorted either ascending or descending. Tap the field you wish to sort on, then tap “Apply” to confirm.
Quick Search: Search-As-You-Type suggestions
Instantly find and select a particular game in your local database:
- In the Quick Search box, just start typing the first few letters of the title you are looking for.
- While typing, a drop-down list will appear, showing the first five matching games (for most games, it only takes 2 or 3 letters before it shows up).
- Once you see the game you were looking for, tap it to bring up its detail page
- TIP: Tap the search button on the keyboard or tap “View All Results” to perform the normal search.
Quick Search now searches more fields
Now also searches in:
Full list of fields that are now searched:
A new v4.8 update for your app is available now, with:
Automatic CLZ Cloud syncing
Add or edit games and your changes will auto-upload to the CLZ Cloud instantly.
Made changes on the desktop or Connect side? Just start the app and changes will download automatically.
Note: Auto-Syncing is switched OFF by default. Switch it ON in the “Sync with CLZ Cloud” screen.
Don’t have a CLZ Cloud account yet?
If you don’t have a CLZ Cloud account yet, We strongly recommend to signup up for one from the app. Using the CLZ Cloud is completely free!
The CLZ Cloud syncing will let you:
- Sync your data between devices, e.g. between your phone and your tablet. Or from your old phone to your new phone.
- View your database online using the free CLZ Cloud viewer website.
- Make an online backup of your data. Better safe than sorry!
In today’s update for the CLZ Games app, we have made further tweaks to the Add screen, to make it clearer than previous versions:
- Add from CLZ Core:
- Color high-lighting: Games already ‘on wish list’ now have an orange title, games already “in collection” show up with a blue title.
- Slightly smaller font for the game title, so that longer titles fit better.
This new version lets you download current value information for your games from the popular game pricing site PriceCharting.com:
- When adding new games, they automatically come with game value info.
- Values are determined based on the Completeness field (Loose vs CIB vs New).
- See totals for your collection using the new Database Totals screen.
- Download up-to-date value information for your entire collection using the Update button in the Database Totals screen.
- On tablet devices: After adding a game to the collection it wasn’t selected
- Templates: Improved layout and colors.
- Group on the “Completeness” field by tapping the menu top right, then tap “Folders > Completeness”.
- Fixed a “non SQL exception” error that could occur during adding of certain games.
For CLZ Games on Android we have added several game-specific fields and made more fields available to edit in the edit game screen: This update is especially targeted at the serious video game collector:
New “Completeness” field: Loose vs CIB vs New
This is for the real video game collectors, especially those that are into collecting retro games:
- Added: a new “Completeness” field, to indicate how complete your copy of a game is. Choose from:
- Loose, meaning “cartridge or disc only”.
- CIB, meaning “Complete In Box”, everything included.
- New, meaning CIB and also still sealed.
- Two extra toggle fields “Manual” and “Box”.
To further specify the “Loose” status. You know, for those cartridges with just a manual, no box. Or in a box, but with the manual missing.
- Group on the “Completeness” field by tapping the menu top right, then tap “Folders > Completeness”.
- Made some improvements to the barcode scanner
- Manual focus for barcode scanning
- Crash in the add auto screen when adding a mix of new games and games on wish list by barcode
- Crash in the pick cover option in the edit screen
This update to the CLZ Games app for Android brings user interface improvements to the Add Games screen:
- All panels are now resizable (list, details, camera)
- When adding a game that is already on your wish list, the app now lets you change its status to “In Collection”.
- Adding By Barcode:
- Camera scanner is now integrated in Add screen, not a separate screen
- Tap the keyboard icon in the camera panel to enter a barcode manually
- Barcode queue is now remembered between sessions
- Press and hold to delete a barcode from the queue
- Adding By Title:
- Expand game edition list using “V” icons on the right
- Game not found? Easy add it manually using the special entry in the results list
This update introduces an easier way to deal with “Unrecognized Barcodes”.
A new screen that not only helps you to add the game to your app anyway, but also helps your fellow CLZ Games users by instantly adding the missing barcode to the CLZ Core online game database.
Easily add games that come up as “Unrecognized Barcode”:
- In the Add Games screen when a barcode is not recognized, a new “Unrecognized Barcode” screen will appear.
- In this screen:
- Just find your game by title (Search-As-You-Type is also active here!)
- Then click Add Game.
- This will:
- Add the game to YOUR database with full game details and your barcode.
- Instantly add the barcode to OUR Core online game database, connected to the game you selected.