Collectorz.com News syncing
Book Collector (Windows)
December 11th, 2017
NEW: Fully Automatic CLZ Cloud Syncing!
The free CLZ Cloud service is at the center of all our cataloging solutions (desktop, mobile and web), the glue that binds them all together.
Tens of thousands of users are using the CLZ Cloud syncing every day, to transfer data between their desktop, Connect and mobile software, to update their online collection list, or simply for keeping an online backup of their precious database.
Now, it is time to take the CLZ Cloud to the next level, with automatic syncing:
Add or edit books in Book Collector and these changes will auto-upload to the CLZ Cloud instantly. Did you make changes using CLZ Books or directly in Book Connect? Just start your software and changes will download automatically.
No more need to go to the Sync with CLZ Cloud screen, ever.
With “Sync Automatically” switched on…
- Your online cloud backup is always up-to-date.
- Your cloud viewer always shows the current state of your collection.
- All your CLZ tools (desktop, mobile and Connect) will always be in-sync.
Automatic Cloud Syncing is an optional feature, switched OFF by default. If you don’t want to auto-sync, or don’t want to sync with the CLZ Cloud at all, just leave it switched OFF.
Revamped Edit Book screen
A huge refresh of the Edit Book screen, bringing the look and feel more in line with the recent Add Books from Core screen. But it’s not all just cosmetic changes, here’s what’s new:
- Button bar is now at the bottom of the screen
With OK button high-lighted in blue, nice Next/Prev arrow buttons, etc…
- Re-designed user interface for adding and editing Authors
- The Author list in the Edit Book screen is now a cleaner list, showing just Display Name and Pseudonym.
- To add an Author, click the Add button top right. The new Select Author screen appears, showing your current Author pick list. Use the search box to find the author you’d like to add, typing just a few letters will make it appear. Select it, then click the big blue Add Author button at the bottom right. If your author is not in the pick list yet, use the New Author button to create it.
- Right-click to Modify the name and sort name of an author in the list.
- Drag the icon in the first column to change the order.
- Click the “x” in the last column to remove entries.
- Clearer blue + buttons for checkbox list fields (like Genres and Subjects)
- Same blue + buttons for dropdown fields (like Publisher, Country and Language)
- Revamped Edit screen for pick list items
Button bar at the bottom with blue OK button, smaller generate buttons, etc..
Simplified: Edit Multiple Books screen
- Now use checkboxes to explicitly indicate which field(s) you want set.
Safer and clearer, no more unexpected changes.
- To clear a field, just click the checkbox and leave the box empty.
The box will highlight in red to indicate the CLEAR action. No more hidden F8 keys.
Simplified screens for selecting Column, Sort and Folder fields.
The ability to select your own Columns for the List View is an important customization feature of our Book Collector software. The same holds for selecting the sort order and the folder fields for the folder panel.
However, the “field selection” screens for doing these customizations have always been an area of confusion. So for v18 we decided to re-imagine both the field selection screens and the system for creating/managing your own presets.
- Simplified Field Selection screen:
- Available fields are now grouped, like the tabs in the Edit Book screen.
- Easily find the field you want with the search box top left.
- Use checkboxes on the left to select fields.
- Use the “x” button on the right to remove fields.
- Drag and drop fields on the right side to change the order.
- Rename the field set at the top right.
- Simplified system for managing your field presets:
- Just click the Columns or Sort Order button to EDIT the current preset.
- Click the little arrow to the right of the Columns or Sort Order button to open the preset menu and switch to a different preset.
- Choose Manage Presets from the preset menu to edit your presets and create new ones.
NEW: “Clean” template for the details panel, in Light and Dark styles
A complete refresh, based on the recent Connect/Cloud details page updates. Clean, clear and modern, with some fresh layout ideas:
- Cleaner look, in both Light and Dark styles.
- Re-designed and more compact Author panel at the top.
- Clearer display of Genres and Subjects.
- Now uses the book cover image as a subtle background image. Or opt for the “Plain” style for a “quieter” background.
No more Standard edition: Pro-only features now available for everyone!
Since last week, we stopped selling the Standard edition of Book Collector. From now on, the Pro edition is the only edition we sell, and will just be called “Book Collector” now.
Our gift to all users on the Standard edition who have a valid Update Plan:
Starting with v18, you now get access to all Pro-only features:
- Batch editing with the Edit Multiple feature:
Save time by editing multiple items in batch, e.g. to fill in a field value for many items in one go.
- Customizable pre-sets for sorting, columns and folders:
Create your own pre-set field combination for sorting and columns. Define your own folder options, even multi-level folder combinations.
- User Defined Fields:
Create your own fields (text, number, pick list, checkbox or date) and rename pre-defined fields.
- Export features:
Export your database to a CSV or XML file.
CLZ Books (Android)
December 6th, 2017
A new v4.8 update for your app is available now, with:
Automatic CLZ Cloud syncing
Add or edit books and your changes will auto-upload to the CLZ Cloud instantly.
Made changes on the desktop or Connect side? Just start the app and changes will download automatically.
Note: Auto-Syncing is switched OFF by default. Switch it ON in the “Sync with CLZ Cloud” screen.
Don’t have a CLZ Cloud account yet?
If you don’t have a CLZ Cloud account yet, I strongly recommend signup up for one from the app. Using the CLZ Cloud is completely free!
The CLZ Cloud syncing will let you:
- Sync your data between devices, e.g. between your phone and your tablet. Or from your old phone to your new phone.
- View your database online using the free CLZ Cloud viewer website.
- Make an online backup of your data. Better safe than sorry!
November 30th, 2017
2018 is coming closer, which means: version 18 is coming up! First, for the Windows editions (early December), then for all Mac editions (early January). For both, the main attraction will be: Automatic CLZ Cloud syncing! Full details below.
The topics of this November 2017 CLZ Newsletter:
- Coming up: Automatic CLZ Cloud syncing
- Coming up: version 18 for all Windows editions
- Now live: updates for all mobile apps, with several Add screen improvements
Book Collector (Windows)
July 20th, 2017
Now sync your loan information to the CLZ Cloud
- Sync information about outstanding loans to the CLZ Cloud, directly visible in your CLZ Cloud viewer (just add the Loan columns to the list).
- Sync your loan history to the CLZ Cloud (only visible in Book Connect’s new Loan Manager)
New in Book Connect: a really nice Loan Manager feature!
- Loan books and return books, by scanning their barcodes with CLZ Barry.
- Check outstanding loans and loan history in the Loan Manager
( Coming soon: sync loan information to the CLZ Books mobile app )
- Add Books from Core: Search Results list is now loading/refreshing faster, especially for long lists.
- New option for CLZ Barry: Auto-Connect. When enabled, the built-in Buddy for Barry automatically connects to the server when you start the program or open the Add screen.
- The Expire Date of your Update Plan is now always visible in the lower right bottom of the main screen.
July 4th, 2017
Book Connect and the CLZ Cloud for books have just been improved to better handle the sort names for your authors.
Plus, you can now actually edit your author entries to change the sort name and have more control over how your books are sorted!
Here’s what’s new:
- The cloud storage has been changed to allow each user to have their own sort names for their author entries (previously, author sort names were used from the Core).
- This also means that Author Sort Names now sync better between the desktop and mobile software.
- For Book Connect and CLZ Cloud, it fixes sorting differences between the folder panel and the book list panel.
- In Book Connect, you can edit your author entries (including their sort name) from the Edit Book screen and also straight from their entry in the author folder panel (using the little pencil icon, see screen shot below)
October 31st, 2016
Big update for Music Connect today: It is now finally possible to edit your album’s track lists and to manually enter track lists for manually added albums!
Use the new Tracks tab in the Edit Album screen to:
- Edit track lists to modify Title, Artist or Length.
- Manually enter track lists for manually added albums.
- Drag and drop tracks to change their order.
Movie Collector (macOS)
May 10th, 2016
- Templates: Template: Barcode icon was missing
- Main Screen: Edit in List
- un(checking) checkbox lists didn’t trigger a “sync change”
- changing “Seen It” and “Changing Date” didn’t trigger a “sync change”
- Cards View: the new cover was not displayed using Find Cover
- Add Auto: sometimes not selected queue items were also added using “Add Selected” in queue mode
- Export to Text: Running Time was not displaying in correct format