January 31st, 2014
The first CLZ Newsletter of 2014! So let me (Alwin) start with this month’s biggest news: We hired two new web-developers!
Early this month, we welcomed Bart and Dion to the CLZ team. Both are still students which means they will be working with us for just 2 days a week now. If all goes well, they will complete their studies later this year and will then join Collectorz.com full time.
Bart and Dion have joined senior developer Robbert on a huge project : a complete rewrite of Connect. All five Connect web-applications will get a more modern look and a responsive design that will automatically adapt to all screen sizes: desktops, tablets and phones.
We expect to be working on this for at least the next 3 months. I will try post regular updates on Facebook with screen shots of our progress.
Now, let’s go over this months releases:
- Big 2.5 updates for all 5 CLZ iOS apps
- CLZ Movies 1.6 for Android, with CLZ Cloud syncing
- New Tools / Options screen for all Cobalt versions for Windows
- Editing in main list now available for all Cobalt versions
Big 2.5 updates for all 5 CLZ iOS apps!
Now available in the App Store: Five big updates for all five of our CLZ iOS apps: CLZ Movies, CLZ Comics, CLZ Books, CLZ Music and CLZ Games.
What’s new in version 2.5:
- Details Panel : various tweaks to layout, font sizes and backdrop displaying.
- Edit Screen : added picklists for multi-value fields like Artist, Author and Genres.
- on iPad: Improved layouts in Portrait mode, to make better use of screen space.
- on iPad: Item lists have now a Total counter at the bottom (like on iPhone).
- More efficient image storage (now takes up to 50% less space).
- Various other fixes and improvements.
CLZ Movies 1.6 for Android, with CLZ Cloud syncing
We have just released version 1.6 of CLZ Movies for Android, which finally brings CLZ Cloud syncing to Android:
- Now get your Movie Collector data and images to your Android app through the free CLZ Cloud (as opposed to exporting over WiFi or USB).
- Just upload to the CLZ Cloud from Movie Collector, then down-sync from the cloud to your Android device.
- Note: full two-way cloud syncing will be added as soon as the CLZ Movies app has adding and editing features. Up until then, syncing up to the cloud is not needed 🙂
Next up is CLZ Movies 2.0 for Android, which will make the CLZ Movies app into a fully-standalone movie cataloging tool, with full adding, editing and barcode scanning features.
After that, we will move on to the other 4 Android apps: CLZ Comics, CLZ Books, CLZ Music and CLZ Games, probably in that order.
New Tools / Options screen for all Cobalt versions for Windows
This month, we completely re-designed the Options screen for all Windows editions. I know, not an improvement that immediately makes you go “WOW!!”. But still, the old Options screen, with the multitude of tabs at the top, had gotten quite messy and really needed a make-over. I hope you like the result.
- Navigate between groups of settings using a two-level tree panel on the left (instead of tabs at the top), which allows for a better categorization of settings.
- All settings have been re-categorized and renamed to make them clearer and easier to find.
Editing in main screen now available for all Cobalt versions
This popular feature is now finally available for all our programs, Windows and Mac. This January, the final 3 programs received this update: Music and Comic Collector for Mac, plus Game Collector for Windows.
Reminder: The “Editing in main screen” features lets you easily make quick changes to your database entries, right in the main screen list. No need to open the Edit screen.