Book Collector for Windows updates
What's new in Book Collector for Windows ?
Version 17.0 build 2 (released on February 16, 2017) :
- Images popup now also supports "Size Picture to Window without stretching" option
- Quick search: suggestions now also are shown when searching on "Title" field
- Main Screen:
- Quick Search: applying a filter could cause unexpected behaviour
- Images Popup:
- the status bar wasn't always showing the right image path when opening
- .bmp images were not showing
- CueCat scanner wasn't working properly any more
Version 17.0 build 1 (released on February 14, 2017) :
Quick Search: Search-As-You-Type suggestions
Instantly find and select a particular book in your local database:
- In the Quick Search box, just start typing the first few letters of the author or title you are looking for.
- While typing, a drop-down list will appear, showing the first five matching books.
(for most books, it only takes 2 or 3 letters before it shows up.)
- Once you see the one you were looking for, use the up/down keys to select it, then hit Enter.
- The book will now be selected in your list, with the details showing in the Details Panel.
Quick Search: Search Field selector
Narrow down your searches to a particular field, e.g. search in Title only, or Plot only:
- Click the new arrow button to the left of the Quick Search box.
A list of search fields will appear.
- Now pick the field you want to search in.
- Use the Quick Search box as you normally would to search in this field only.
New Multi-Image-Viewer pop-up
Easily browse all images attached to a book:
- In the book details panel, click an image to open it in the new Multi-Image-Viewer popup.
- Click the thumbnails on the left (or just use up/down keys) to browse through all images attached to the book:
front cover, back cover, backdrop and all other image files.
- No more need to close the popup and click to re-open for the next image.
Version 16.4 build 6 (released on January 04, 2017) :
- Submit Missing ISBN: for some users the popup would look messed up with the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons out of sight
- Crashes during Check for Update process
Version 16.4 build 5 (released on January 02, 2017) :
- Import from other collection could cause a crash in rare cases
- Edit Book:
- On User Defined Fields tab, "_[Add pick list item]_" didn't work for comboboxes
- Changing the role for a credit would mark all books dirty where that person appeared instead of just the edited book
- Manage Pick Lists: removing pick list items didn't mark their corresponding books as modified
- Main Screen: accelerator keys in main menu (like "ALT+F" for files menu) didn't work
Version 16.4 build 4 (released on December 08, 2016) :
Improved "Unrecognized ISBN" screen
- NEW: integrated Find Cover tool.
Easily pick a cover images from internet search results for the ISBN.
- Two extra fields: Publisher and Year.
- Author box now has drop-down with your Author list for easy entry of existing author names.
- Dragging and dropping cover images did not work for HTTPS URLs.
- Person grids: problems adding authors when multiple authors exists with the same display name.
Version 16.4 build 3 (released on November 10, 2016) :
- Free Trial now has an information panel to show the user how to get started.
- Trial Popup has been simplified to make it easier to pick one of the options.
- The Trial Popup sometimes showed when it shouldn't for existing users.
- Add Screen: with Author, Title and ISBN filled in, the book was added without showing the "Unrecognized ISBN" screen
Version 16.4 build 2 (released on November 04, 2016) :
- Link/Update Books now also supports the "Unrecognized ISBN" screen
- Quick search now also supports Regular Expressions. Enter "matches:" followed by regular expression in the quick search box.
Version 16.4 build 1 (released on October 25, 2016) :
Easily add books that come up as "Unrecognized ISBN"
- In Add Books Automatically, when an ISBN is not recognized, a new "Unrecognized ISBN" screen will appear.
- In this screen, just type the Author and the Title, then click Add Book.
- This will:
- Instantly add the ISBN/Author/Title entry to our Core online book database.
- Add the book to your own database with ISBN, Author and Title filled in AND linked to the new Core entry.
In other words, this new screen not only helps you in adding unrecognized books,
but it also helps your fellow Book Collector users by adding the missing ISBN to the CLZ Core.
( BTW: this screen replaces the "Report Missing ISBN to Core" web-form. Of course, you can still provide more info for the added ISBN using the Submit to Core button in the Edit Book screen. )
Version 16.3 build 11 (released on September 13, 2016) :
- Export to XML is now a lot more memory efficient, writing the xml directly to hard disk (can be more slow though)
- Sync with Cloud: First Edition and Abridged fields were cleared when syncing down from the cloud
- Add/Modify Filter: "Contains" filters were always case insensitive even when "case sensitive" was checked
- Edit Multiple: F8 didn't clear price and dimension values
Version 16.3 build 10 (released on August 17, 2016) :
- Program could throw an "Handle is invalid" error after multiple edits
Version 16.3 build 9 (released on August 16, 2016) :
- Main Screen:
- The folder tree was wrapping the values in the list
- A double hint was showing for the thumbnail slider to resize thumbnails in Images View
- When working offline, closing the program could cause Access Violations
- Edit Book:
- It was possible to sort the stories list where it shouldn't which caused drawing issues
- Moving story up or down could make selected story look empty
- Edit Story: some buttons were missing icons
- User Defined Fields: values of check box lists were not loaded correctly in some cases
Version 16.3 build 8 (released on August 08, 2016) :
- Cloud Syncing: Now does up to 5 retries when a sync action fails because of a temporary connection problem.
- Edit Book: Improved "search as you type" behaviour of search boxes for adding authors, credits and characters.
- Dark Skin: active window now has a light grey border, making it stand out more when windows overlap.
- Screen started to "flicker" after leaving the program inactive for a few minutes.
- Add Automatically: adding a checked result would sometimes uncheck a result from another search in the queue.
- Main Screen / Two Panel Mode: selection status text would sometimes show an invalid text when no books were showing in the list.
- Edit Multiple: F8 to clear didn't work for memo fields like Plot and Notes.
Version 16.3 build 7 (released on July 19, 2016) :
- Edit Book:
- Changing collection status sometimes would unchek a radiobutton but not check the selected one
- Previous/Next/Ok could mess up data when the edit screen was still loading
Version 16.3 build 6 (released on July 07, 2016) :
- Export to HTML: access violation could occur in some cases when using a custom index template
- Edit Screen: Checkbox List hints would sometimes not disappear
- Main Screen: changing font size could make some screen elements disappear
- Quick Filter Panel: filters weren't applied directly at startup when panel was closed but "Keep Active" was checked
Version 16.3 build 5 (released on July 01, 2016) :
- Date Fields: Year field's position now also depends on system's shortdate setting
- Carbon, Cobalt, Quicksilver Templates: Subtitle now below Title instead of behind
- Edit Book:
- Date fields didn't clear their Month and Day values using next/previous when they weren't filled in for the next/previous item
- Delete key didn't work in Month and Day fields to clear their values. Backspace did work normally.
- Clicking stars to add rating didn't set "read it" field according to setting
Version 16.3 build 4 (released on June 30, 2016) :
- Date fields now have dropdowns for Month and Day. Order of Month and Day dropdown depends on system's shortdate setting now
- Edit Book:
- some fields didn't keep their focus when using next/previous
- Audio book length was limited to 999 minutes
- Edit Multiple: F8 in date fields didn't clear them
- Main Screen:
- horizontal scrollbar was sometimes showing in folder tree when it shouldn't
- Cards View: scrolling using the mouse wheel wasn't working properly
- layout wasn't always restored properly when quick filter panel was showing
- Quick Filter Panel: collection status filter wasn't showing in filter description at bottom of the screen
Version 16.3 build 3 (released on June 20, 2016) :
- Main screen: right click popup menu to customize toolbar didn't show.
- Edit Book: "List index out of bounds" error when deleting a local link could occur.
- Main screen:
- Right click popup menu to customize toolbar didn't show.
- Sometimes the screen layout wasn't restored properly after start of program.
- Filter panel: closing the filter panel didn't reset the Collection Status filter.
- Lookup Grid: filtering the dropdown then using the arrow keys to select name didn't update the dropdown's text.
Version 16.3 build 2 (released on June 16, 2016) :
Quick Filter panel tweaks
- Quick Filter panel is now opened/closed using a new button on the toolbar (to the left of the folders button).
No more automatic sliding when moving the mouse.
- Smoother filter sliders (Ratings, Year, Running Time)
- Edit Multiple Books:
- Number of Pages field was always cleared.
- "Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window" when clearing a check list with F8.
- Edit Book:
- Number of Pages field was limited to 999.
- Author grid didn't restore column widths properly.
- Opening then closing the Quick Filter panel could change the width of the other panels.
- Minimizing a full screen program, then restoring would not restore to full screen.
- Weird problems while resizing program windows.
- Main Screen: Cover flow had a white background with Light and Sytem Skin (now black again).
- Switching to or starting in System skin didn't always refresh Details Panel.
Version 16.3 build 1 (released on June 15, 2016) :
NEW: Choose between Light, Dark or System skins
Yes, We're getting rid of the gray!
Book Collector now comes with a skin system, which affects the look of all screens in the program,
main screen, edit screens, add auto-screen, sync screen etc.. even the settings screens.
We have designed two different skins for you to choose from: Light and Dark.
The third option "System" is basically the old pre-v16.3 look.
- Light: A clean look, white backgrounds, dark fonts. Very readable, easy on the eye.
- Dark: A cool looking, modern design, with dark backgrounds, light fonts.
- System: Keep things as it was, with the program following your Windows theme.
The program now defaults to the Dark Skin. You can change to a different Skin using the Skin option in the View menu.
NEW: Quick Filter panel in main screen
The Alphabet Bar, launched about a year ago, is still one of the most popular tools, as it helps you to instantly list just the books for which the Title or Author starts with a particular letter. So we expanded on that idea:
Today's update introduces the Quick Filter panel, a new panel on the left side of the main screen, that lets you easily "zoom in" to a sub-set of your collection.
- Open the Quick Filter panel by moving your mouse pointer to the left of the screen,
making part of the panel slide out. Now click the panel to open it.
- Quick Filters are available for the following fields:
- Collection Status (All / Collection / Wish List)
(this replace the tabs at the bottom left)
- Read it: Yes vs No
- My Rating
- Publication Year
- Number of Pages
- Collection Status (All / Collection / Wish List)
Version 16.2 build 2 (released on April 21, 2016) :
- Main Screen:
- Cards View: selection wasn't always restored properly
- Scrolling the Details View with the mouse wheel would scroll the list when the scroll bar reached the top
- Quick search:
- pasting text into quick search box didn't show the clear button
- Escape button will now clear quick search
- Sync with Cloud: cancelling sync didn't always work
Version 16.2 build 1 (released on February 24, 2016) :
New view for the main screen: Card View
Next to List View, Images View and Cover Flow, we have added a Card View, a multi-column view with little info cards for each book, showing the main book details and a small cover thumbnail.
- Add Automatically: right click menu didn't popup when there were no results showing
- Content View: Folder grouping on a field with inheritance didn't take the inherited book values into account
Version 16.1 build 3 (released on December 22, 2015) :
- Loading of backup.xml is now more robust
Version 16.1 build 2 (released on December 15, 2015) :
- Improved Webcam functionality for Webcam Barcode scanning:
- Sometimes starting the webcam feature would hang the program
- Some webcams didn't show any video
- A JPEG error could be thrown for some webcams
- Add Automatically: when you didn't want to move a book from your wish list into your collection, it wasn't possible.
Version 16.1 build 1 (released on December 03, 2015) :
Find Image Online tool now uses Bing Image Search
The Find Image Online tool previously used Google Images to find images.
However, it turns out that on December 1, Google terminated the free Google Image Search API
that we were using, causing our Find Image Online functionality to stop working.
Google provides a new paid version of the Search API, but it is limited to max 10K searches per day.
With the amount of customers we have, we need at least 20K daily searches (600K per month!) :-(
The solution: Switch to BING!
Microsoft also offers a paid Bing Image Search API and this one has no limits.
Or, to be more precise, they let us pay more for higher limits.
We immediately went to work and updated all our Windows and Mac programs
to use Bing Images for the Find Image Online tool instead.
Obviously, this generates considerable extra monthly costs (well over US $1,000),
but we have decided that we will NOT pass on these extra costs to our customers.
So here it is: the new Find Image Online, powered by Bing. Enjoy!
- Freezes at start up for some users, caused by the webcam detection.
Version 16.0 build 3 (released on December 01, 2015) :
- Access Violation when starting the program after a fresh installation.
- Access Violation when closing the program.
Version 16.0 build 2 (released on November 30, 2015) :
- Delete Orphan Images tools didn't account for images linked in the Links / Local Files tab.
Version 16.0 build 1 (released on November 30, 2015) :
Webcam barcode scanning
Use your webcam as a barcode scanner, to add or find books by ISBN.
- Scan barcodes with your webcam
Just use the live camera view to point your webcam at a barcode
and let our software detect the barcode that is in view.
- Use the webcam scanner to add books by barcode
Pop-up the scan window and scan ISBN barcodes,
either using Direct Search or scanning into the Queue.
- Or use it in the main screen to find books by barcode
Scan an ISBN barcode while in the main screen,
to quickly search your local database by barcode.
- Works best with auto-focus or manual-focus webcams
Fixed focus cameras will not work well (or at all).
Delete Orphaned Images
Clean up your hard-disk by deleting all unused cover images and thumbnails.
- This tool scans your configured Images Folders to find all images
that are not linked to your current database file.
- Browse the list of found orphaned images in List or Images View.
Check thoroughly to make sure these can all be deleted.
- Finally, use the red "Delete Selected Images" button,
and all "checked" images will be removed from your computer.
WARNING: Do NOT use this tool if you have multiple databases !!!!
Enhanced database Backup and Restore system
Keep multiple time-stamped backups and easily restore them.
- The software now keeps multiple time-stamped database backups,
saved to your Backups folder as "backup of [yourdatabasename] - [timestamp].bkc".
- Use the new "Number of Days" setting in Tools / Options / Backup to select
how many days of backups you want to keep. Older files are automatically pruned.
- Use the Tools / Maintenance / Restore Database submenu to easily restore a backup.
Restored backups are copied back to your Data folder as "[yourdatabasename RESTORED.bkc".
New QuickSilver template, new QuickSilver Shelves for Images View
Version 15.4 build 2 (released on November 16, 2015) :
- Cloud Syncing: Hitting OK after editing pick list items without changing data could cause unnecessary cloud uploads.
- Printing: Items per Page setting wasn't saved when saving a paged list template.
- On some Windows system with non-English locale settings, the User Defined values didn't load.
Version 15.4 build 1 (released on September 02, 2015) :
Re-designed Field Selection screens for Sorting, Columns and Folders
- Clearer layout: Available Fields on the left, Selected Fields on the right.
- Easier selection of fields: just drag from left to right to select, from right to left to remove.
- Or use keyboard short-cuts:
- While in Available Fields list: hit Spacebar to move the selected field to the right.
- While in Selected Fields list: hit Del to remove the selected field.
- Manage your Field Presets using the dropdown list and buttons top right (PRO edition only).
- Switch between Presets using the dropdown list.
- Create a new Preset using the plus "+" button.
- Create a copy of the current Preset using the Duplicate button.
- Rename a Preset using the pencil button.
- Remove a Preset using the trash can button.
Further improvements to the thumbnail quality in Images ViewOn some Windows systems the thumbnails were looking "pixelated", especially noticeable around text.
We have now further improved the scaling routines to make your cover thumbnails look much smoother.
(this time there is no need to regenerate the thumbnails)
- When using Author First Letter folders, the folders were not in the correct order.
- When using the Alphabet Bar on the Author field, it didn't take into account the Pseudonyms.
Version 15.3 build 5 (released on August 13, 2015) :
New settings in Tools / Options to control the sorting
Some users just like to sort Authors by their Firstnames.
Others like to sort titles *including* "The" and "A".
With today's new "Ignore" settings in Tools / Options / Sorting, they finally can:
- Ignore the Sort Names of Person items (e.g. Authors) YES/NO
- Ignore the Sort Title field
Version 15.3 build 4 (released on August 05, 2015) :
Further improvements to the Alphabet Bar
- You can now also use the Alphabet Bar to filter on the first letter of Titles.
Use the Settings button on the far right of the bar to switch between Author and Title.
- Hide the Alphabet Bar using the Settings button on the far right of the bar.
(show it again using the command in the View menu)
- Fixed: the folder list also showed the "other" authors of matching multi-author books.
- Image Scanning: the selected scanner in the Options screen wasn't always used correctly as the one used for scanning.
Version 15.3 build 3 (released on July 27, 2015) :
Alphabet Bar now also filters folder panel
Clicking a letter in the Alphabet Bar now also filters the folder panel,
so that it only shows folders that actually contain books.
Improved Thumbnail Generator creates sharper cover image thumbnails
- Our image resizing routines have been improved to create sharper thumbnail images for covers.
- All generated cover thumbnails need to be re-generated to see the effect!
- When you start this new version for the first time, it will automatically ask if you want to re-generate them.
- Or skip this, and do it manually later, using Tools / Maintenance / Re-Generate Thumbnails.
- Alphabet Bar: Letters like '≈' were not always showing up under '#'
- Image View: now shows the book title/year when moving mouse over a thumbnail
Version 15.3 build 2 (released on July 22, 2015) :
Updated: Alphabet Bar
- Alphabet Bar now uses full width of Main Screen
- Alphabet Bar menu item now toggles between "Show Alphabet Bar" and "Hide Alphabet Bar"
Version 15.3 build 1 (released on July 21, 2015) :
New: Alphabet Bar in main screen
- An A to Z alphabet bar is now available at the top of your main screen.
- Click a letter to quickly filter your book list by the first letter of the author.
- The letter buttons are automatically greyed out if there are no book authors starting with that letter.
- The bar automatically stretches to fit the width of your screen. Wider screen -> bigger buttons.
- Hide/Show the Alphabet Bar using the new option in the View menu.
- Connection error popup when starting the program while no internet connection is available.
- Sync button was sometimes showing Sync Status as "in sync" while it wasn't.
Version 15.2 build 2 (released on July 08, 2015) :
Tweaks to CLZ Cloud Syncing screen and toolbar buttons.
- CLZ Cloud Syncing screen:
- Login info and CLZ Cloud viewer link now prominently displayed at the top.
- Optional "Do you want to view your CLZ Cloud now?" message after syncing.
- CLZ Cloud toolbar in main screen:
- Sync button now shows Sync Status (red exclamation mark indicating "not in sync").
- New View my CLZ Cloud button (existing users: place on toolbar using View / Toolbar / Customize).
More stable CLZ Barry connections
The built-in CLZ Barry support has been changed to always keep your Barry connection "alive".
No more spontaneous disconnects. Requires CLZ Barry 2.0 (free update for iOS and Android).
Version 15.2 build 1 (released on July 01, 2015) :
8 more fields added to the CLZ Cloud syncing!
In April, with v15 for PC & Mac and v3 for iOS/Android, we upgraded our Cloud Syncing to be easier, faster and more reliable.
Today, we're making the next step: syncing more fields.
In today's updates to all our book-related tools, we are adding 8 more fields to the CLZ Cloud syncing:
- Dewey Number
- LoC Control Number (LCCN)
- LoC Classification
At the same time, all these 8 fields are now editable in the CLZ Books mobile apps and Book Connect!
Obviously, to synchronize these 8 fields between desktop and mobile, you need today's new versions on both sides:
- Book Collector 15.2 for Windows or Mac
- CLZ Books 3.1 for iOS or Android
ALSO NOTE: after updating your Book Collector desktop software, all book entries that have data in one of the 8 new sync fields will be marked as "Modified", making sure they are synced UP TO the CLZ Cloud next time you sync. So in your first Cloud Sync you may suddenly see lots of books being uploaded, this is expected, intended and necessary :-)
- Sync 2.0: accounts with non standard characters in password would return "Invalid Login".
Version 15.1 build 1 (released on June 17, 2015) :
Easier and smarter Update File Links screen
- The Update File Links screen (Tools / Maintenance menu) has been turned into a step-by-step system that makes it easier
to update the file paths for missing ebook files, cover images, pick list item images and other images.
- The "Automatic" method is now smarter in automatically fixing file paths
when multiple items link to the same image file (a common situation for pick list items).
- The "Manual" method is now more flexible, letting you replace any part of the file path with something else.
- Carbon template: Cover Artist wasn't showing in Credits list.
Version 15.0 build 5 (released on May 27, 2015) :
Submit to Core now automatically resizes cover images that are too large
No more failed image uploads because of the 500kb limit. The Submit feature now automatically resizes images to within 750x750 pixels when uploading to Core.
- For some users, minimizing then restoring the program could result in changed main screen panel sizes.
- Import from BookCat:
- Some "Custom" boolean fields in contents were not imported
- Cover Artist was incorrectly imported as User Credit1.
Version 15.0 build 4 (released on May 08, 2015) :
- CLZ Cloud Syncing 2.0:
- Just adding a new author, credit or character entry could result in unnecessary cloud uploads.
- Syncing up new books could sometimes result unnecessary changes being synced down.
- Rare "Unknown error getting chunk" messages after syncing last item.
- Carbon templates:
- The author's wikipedia link would always open in Internet Explorer.
Version 15.0 build 3 (released on May 04, 2015) :
- CLZ Cloud Syncing 2.0:
- Several rare problems with the syncing of cover images.
- After every sync, the "program default" pick list values (e.g. for Genres, Formats, Subjects, etc..) kept being re-added.
- Tools / Options / Folder settings: Folder selection screen didn't show mapped network drives.
Version 15.0 build 2 (released on May 01, 2015) :
- Export to CLZ Books: updating collection on device would throw an "Class TCheckbox not found" error.
- Carbon Templates: Plot/Notes didn't show newlines
- Restoring the program after minimizing it when it was stuck to the side of your desktop didn't work properly.
- Credit Lookup grid: credits would be added as "Editor" right after using previous/next even though the role combo showed something different.
- Lookup grids: after adding an item, the search sometimes didn't filter correctly.
- Add Books Automatically: fixed some search field focusing problems.
- Templates: when author has no url filled in but does have a wiki url filled in, clicking the author will open the wiki url.
Version 15.0 build 1 (released on April 29, 2015) :
Welcome to Book Collector version 15, aka "The Carbon Edition"!
New CLZ Cloud Syncing v2.0
We have completely rewritten the CLZ Cloud syncing mechanism,
to make it easier to use, faster and capable of syncing very large databases.
- Easier: One "Synchronize" button that syncs up and/or down as needed.
No more need to choose the sync direction (Up or Down). Just click the single Synchronize button and
the system will automatically upload your local changes and download your cloud-side changes.
- Faster: Sync your additions, changes and removals within a few seconds.
The software now keeps track of your adds, edits and removes, so when synchronizing with the CLZ Cloud,
it already knows which items need to be up- or downloaded, making the actual sync very fast.
( the initial full sync may be slightly slower though, but you only need to do that once )
- More scalable: Transfer very large databases without problems.
The syncing process is now a series of tiny data uploads and downloads, as opposed to
a single huge upload/download. This ensures that databases of any size can be synced.
- More reliable: Solves many problems of the old syncing system.
No more "invalid XML" when uploading large collections, no more changes that keep recurring every sync.
No more starting from scratch in case of connection problems, just continue where you left off.
New "Carbon" template for the details panels
- 4 different styles: Carbon Dark, Carbon Light, Plain Dark and Plain Light.
- Fully adaptive to the width of the details panel, to always make best use of the available space.
New Carbon Shelves style for the Images View
A new carbon look shelves style to match the Carbon template.
Version Cobalt.9 build 7 (released on January 27, 2015) :
- Build 6 had connection errors in the Add Books Automatically screen.
Version Cobalt.9 build 6 (released on January 27, 2015) :
- Manage Pick Lists: deleting several items at once could give an "index out of bounds".
- Edit Story: Plot box didn't show vertical scroll bar.
Version Cobalt.9 build 5 (released on January 14, 2015) :
- Add Automatically: Author drop down pick list didn't follow "Show person names as Last Name, First Name" setting.
- Edit Book: Adding an Illustrator credit would sometimes add it as Editor.
- Edit Book: When using Find Cover screen, the edited values from the screen where not used.
- Tools / Maintenance "Reset to Defaults" didn't reset the widths and heights of panels within a layout.
- Win+Tab didn't always show the program in Aero Flip3D on Windows Vista/Windows 7.
Version Cobalt.9 build 4 (released on January 08, 2015) :
Manage Pick Lists: Delete "in use" items anyway
- It is now possible to delete pick list items that are still in use (#Used > 0),
without having to hunt down all places where the value is used.
- Just choose Remove on an item, answer Yes to the "Delete anyway?" question,
and the program will automatically clear this value in all fields where it was in use.
Find Image screen now supports images on HTTPS
The Find Image screen now supports the downloading of images from HTTPS sites.
Nowadays, more and more sites use HTTPS, which was causing more and more
"Image could not be loaded" errors. These are now supported correctly.
(Note that you can still get this error for sites that do not allow direct image downloads.)
- Print: when printing a list the real author name was printed instead of the pseudonym
- Manage Pick List: right click "Generate Display Name from Name Parts" and "Generate Name Parts from Display Name" menu items were switched around.
- Main List: Sorting on Author didn't take pseudonyms in account.
Version Cobalt.9 build 3 (released on December 23, 2014) :
Adaptive layout of Edit Book screenNo more useless grey areas on large computer screens!
- The layouts of all tabs in the Edit Book screen are now adapting to fit the size of the screen.
- Edit boxes and drop down list get wider when you make your Edit screen wider.
- Checkbox list and multi-value grids get higher (and wider) when increasing the size of your Edit screen.
New List Selector panel in Tools / Manage Pick Lists screen
- Tools / Edit Lists is now called Manage Picks Lists.
- New list selection panel on the left replaces drop down menu.
- New "Favorite Lists" area for your most commonly used lists (defaults to Authors, Publishers, Genres and Subjects)
- Drag and drop to and from Favorites Lists area to create your own Favorites list.
Even more tweaks for the new Person editing tables in Edit Book
- New Edit icons in the 2nd column of the person tables, to go directly to the Edit Person screen.
- Fixed: annoying behaviour when editing text in the search box (cursor jumping to the end).
- Fixed: the Add button not enabling when pasting something in using the right mouse button Paste menu.
- Fixed: Column widths were not remembered properly in some cases.
More consistent Core / Cloud terminology
- "Update Books Automatically" is now called "Update from Core".
- "Link Books" is now called "Link with Core".
- "Unlink Books" is now called "Unlink from Core".
- "Upload Cover for Selected Book" is now called "Upload Cover to CLZ Cloud".
Version Cobalt.9 build 2 (released on December 10, 2014) :
- Edit Book: Author pseudonyms were not saved correctly.
Version Cobalt.9 build 1 (released on December 10, 2014) :
Edit Book: easily manage Author's First, Last & Sort Names
Now manage the Author's First & Last Names (and thus Sort Names) straight from the Edit Book screen.
No more need to go through the Author list in Tools / Edit List to control correct Author sorting.
- The Author list now takes the full width of your Edit Book screen,
with columns for Display Name, First Name, Last Name, Sort Name and Pseudonym.
- Directly edit Display, First & Last Names in that author list,
and immediately see the Sort Names update with your changes.
- Right click entries to generate First/Last Names from Display Name or vice versa.
- New: Change the order of authors by dragging the "drag" icon in the 1st column.
- Remove author entries using the "trash can" icons on each row (in the last column).
- Use the big Manage Author List on the top right, to directly access the full Author list
in the Tools / Edit List screen, with the current author selected.
There is one subtle difference in how this author list works:
- When you make changes by editing in this new Author list, you are actually editing the Author items.
So your changes may also affect other books that use same Author items!
(which is quite handy if you're fixing a typo or filling in First and Last Names)
- HOWEVER: If you want to change the Author, that is, to a different Author entry,
then do NOT just edit the name in the table, as this will affect all other books that use the original Author entry.
Instead, REMOVE the incorrect Author, then ADD the correct one using the search box at the top.
Edit Book: easier adding of new Authors using new author search box
- Adding of Authors to a book is now done using a new search box above the list.
- Just type a few letters and the drop down list will instantly show all authors that contain the entered search text.
- Select an author from the search results, then click Add Author to add it to the table below (or just hit Enter).
Edit Books: Use the same "person editing system" for the Credits and Characters fieldsThe new system for adding and editing persons has also been implemented for the Credits & Characters fields.
Version Cobalt.8 build 6 (released on November 04, 2014) :
- Tools / Edit Lists: after editing an item, the Quick Search did not immediately use the updated data.
- Find Image: When trying to use an image that could not be loaded, it would save an empty image.
- Templates: User Defined date values did not display in the chosen Windows Date Format.
- Optimized memory usage when saving database, preventing Out of Memory errors on large databases.
Version Cobalt.8 build 5 (released on October 16, 2014) :
New: Connect / Core / CLZ Cloud 2.0 supportSome changes to prepare for the upcoming 2.0 versions of Connect, the public CLZ Cloud pages and the Core site.
- Downloaded links to our online database now point to the new core.collectorz.com site.
- "My public collection" link in CLZ Cloud Syncing screen now points to the new cloud.collectorz.com site.
New fields available for grouping into folders:
- Read It (Yes/No)
- Title First Letter
Version Cobalt.8 build 4 (released on October 15, 2014) :
- Syncing to CLZ Cloud could result in error "No argument for format '%snn%s'".
- Add Automatically / Direct Search mode: "Add Anyway" would always add "to collection" regardless of "Add To Collection/Wish List" setting.
- Main Screen: Drag & drop between UDF folders didn't properly change the values.
- User Defined Fields: Values containing multiple consecutive spaces were not saved correctly.
- Edit Book: Drag/drop of cover images from Chrome didn't work.
Version Cobalt.8 build 3 (released on October 08, 2014) :
- More detailed error reporting for:
- CLZ Account login problems (previously just showed "Trial Expired" screen).
- CLZ Cloud syncing problems (previously just said "Invalid XML").
- Windows write permission problems (previously just said "A call to an OS function failed").
- UDF: Unicode characters weren't handled properly in field names and their values.
- UDF: Crashes when editing UDF's using Edit Multiple.
- Find Image screen: checking/unchecking keywords could sometimes "glue" keywords together or add extra spaces.
- Tools / Edit List: the selection wasn't always restored properly after performing an action.
- Main Screen: Setting the Rating would not set the Reading Date (even with Automation settings switched ON).
- Edit Book: just opening the screen always set Seen It to Yes.
- Quick Search: contents weren't always searched properly.
Version Cobalt.8 build 2 (released on October 01, 2014) :
- Out of memory at start-up (caused by new Quick Search fields).
Version Cobalt.8 build 1 (released on October 01, 2014) :
Improved Find Image screen
- More logical layout, with search box top left.
- Better looking thumbnail and preview area.
- New setting "Auto search when screen opens (Yes/No)" in Tools Options, that lets you disable the automatic searching each time you open the screen.
- New: Stop searches and preview actions that take too long.
Quick Search feature now searches more fields
- URLs of all links
- Book Content Data
New Automation behaviour related to Ratings and Read It
- When you set a Reading Date for a book, the Read It field is automatically set to YES.
- When you set a personal Rating for a book, the Read It field is automatically set to YES.
(Optional, switched ON by default. Switch this OFF using Tools / Options / Behaviour / Automation)
- When you set the Read It field to YES, the Reading Date is automatically set to TODAY.
(Optional, switched OFF by default. Switch this ON using Tools / Options / Behaviour / Automation)
Various changes and additions
- New automatic Date Added field, that is automatically set to the date you added an entry.
For existing entries, it is set to "Today".
- Small tweak to the Cobalt Preview template (Add Auto screen) to show a larger cover image.
- Choose/Modify Filter command in Search / Set Filter menu is now at the top (useful if you have a looonnnggg list of saved filters).
Version Cobalt.7 build 2 (released on September 23, 2014) :
New: set default values for your User Defined Fields (UDF)
- The Manage User Defined Fields screen now has an extra column for setting the field's Default Value.
- Whenever you add a new item to your collection, the UDF fields will automatically be pre-filled with those values.
- Tools / Edit Lists:
- When using the Quick Search box, the list was not staying sorted according to the Auto re-sort checkbox.
- Using the Delete key would always remove the item, even while in "Editing" mode.
- Adding eBook files with empty author fields could lead to database corruption.
- Edit Book / UDF tab: Scrolling checkbox lists or combobox entries didn't work using the mouse wheel.
- Access Violations after switching databases (related to using UDF date fields).
- Import UDF from XML: the year of a date would not be imported when it wasn't already in the year list.
- Templates: links with "https" didn't work.
Version Cobalt.7 build 1 (released on August 13, 2014) :
Improved Edit Lists screen (Tools menu -> Edit Lists)
- New: Quick Search
- Quickly find the list items you want using the new Quick Search box on the top right.
- The list instantly filters as you type, no need to hit the Enter key.
- New: Edit directly in the list screen.
Edit item names and other properties directly in the item list screen, no need to open the Edit screen.
- Use the Edit in List button to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the item list to edit it.
- Blue columns are editable, greyed out columns are not
(for read-only fields like ID and automatically generated values like Sort Name).
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes.
Improved eBook Support
- Added support for protected Mobipocket files in .PRC format.
- Now recognizes stand-alone .OPF files (not connected to an eBook in the same folder) and let you add them as an eBook.
- Column freezing: with the "Collectorz Skin" switched OFF, frozen columns showed a bright yellow header.
- Main Screen:
- When using Ctrl-click in the main list to de-select an item, it deselected all other selected items instead.
- After an Edit Multiple action, the list jumped to the top (both in List View and Images View).
- Edit Multiple: user defined whole numbers were reset to 0
- Import from other collection could crash when the User Defined Fields contained a Checkbox List.
- Edit in List: Last Modified date wasn't updated after an edit.
- Import from BookCAT: Some prices were incorrectly imported as very large numbers.
- Edit List: Author List wasn't sorting correctly on "Real Author" field.
- Import from Other DB: Birth and Death Date years were not imported.
Version Cobalt.6 build 1 (released on July 10, 2014) :
New: Freeze columns in the main screen list
- Frozen columns stay in place when you scroll the list horizontally. This is especially useful if you use many columns in your list and want to keep the main identifying fields always in view, e.g. author and title.
- Right click a column header and select "Freeze" to freeze/lock a column (it will be automatically moved to the left).
- Right click a frozen column and select "Unfreeze" to unfreeze/unlock a column.
- Drag columns into the frozen area to freeze them, drag out of the frozen area to unfreeze.
Fixes for User Defined Fields system:
- Decimal number fields didn't allow negative numbers.
- After changing the UDH "Header" name, the name wasn't showing up everywhere (Edit Lists, Statistics).
- Edit Book: when the UDF tab was showing a scroll bar it would disappear after using "Next/Previous".
- Edit Lists: years in date fields weren't included in used counter in Year list.
- Removing a user defined field attached to a story didn't work.
- In 3 panel view, after editing a book, the tree would always scroll to the top.
- Import from BookCAT: the "Release No" wasn't correctly imported into the "Issue Nr" field when above 999.
Version Cobalt.5 build 3 (released on June 25, 2014) :
- Sync with CLZ Cloud: Books that should be ignored to link were causing mismatches
- Edit Book/Story: changing some person names into other persons didn't work
Version Cobalt.5 build 2 (released on June 25, 2014) :
- Sometimes text on buttons had cut off letters
- Image View: hovering over a cover didn't display the book title any more
- Main Screen: several short cuts like ctrl+c and ctrl+a didn't work in quick search box
- Add Book Files: Titles would be cut off at the delimiter when parsing file names
- User Defined Fields:
- Templates: when a url was assigned to a user defined lookup item value, it wasn't clickable in the templates
- Improved BookCAT import routine now imports all BookCAT custom fields from the export XML
Version Cobalt.5 build 1 (released on June 16, 2014) :
New: Unlimited User Defined Fields (PRO edition only!)
- Use the new Manage User Defined Field screen (Tools menu) to create your own data fields, of any type, in any order and as many as you want.
- Add fields as Book Only fields, Story Only field or at both Book and Story level with full value inheritance.
- Choose from the following field types:
- Pick List
- Number (whole)
- Number (decimals)
- Checkbox (yes/no)
- Checkbox List
- All fields you define will appear on their own tab in the Edit Book and Edit Story screens.
- User Defined fields work like any other field. You can:
- Add them as Columns to your main screen lists.
- Use them as Sort field.
- Select Pick List and Multi-Value fields as the Folder field.
- Search them using the Quick Search feature.
- Filter on them using the Filter feature.
- View their data under their own header in the Details Panel template.
- Define your own "Header" name, which is used as the tab name in the Edit screens and as the header in the template.
- Any existing User Defined fields from the old version will automatically be converted into the new version (only fields that actually contain data).
Version Cobalt.4 build 2 (released on April 22, 2014) :
- Add EBookFiles: improved .epub and .opf parsing.
- Cobalt Templates: Series URL wasn't showing.
- Edit Book: cursor didn't stay in price fields when using Next/Previous.
- Main Screen / Statistics: "Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window" error when clicking a graph bar while in 2 panel Image View.
Version Cobalt.4 build 1 (released on March 11, 2014) :
Add Books Automatically: Now recognizes 23 million ISBNs!
- A new, secondary ISBN lookup data source has been added to our online book database.
- The new database includes 13 million new ISBNs, plus extra data for 5 million books in our existing database.
- This brings the total number of ISBNs recognized by our own database to 23 million!
( on top of that, our system still use all back-end lookup sources, like Library of Congress, Google Books, etc...)
- This new secondary ISBN lookup database is now automatically used when you add books by ISBN,
and will result in improved success rates on ISBN searches.
Add Books Automatically: New Cobalt Compact template for Preview panel
- The new Cobalt Compact template has been especially designed for the task at hand:
selecting the correct book and edition from the search results.
- Clearly showing the identifying edition information near the top (Author, Title, ISBN, Publisher, Publication Year).
- Toggle between Front and Back with the "flip" icon that appears when hovering over the cover image.
- Responsive design makes the template usable and good looking, whatever the width of your Preview panel is.
- Available in both Light and Dark styles.
- Main Screen / Image view : switching between books and contents view didn't always refresh the images.
- Details View wasn't refreshing after "Edit Lists".
Version Cobalt.3 build 7 (released on March 05, 2014) :
- Various "Out of Memory" and "Access Violation" errors.
Version Cobalt.3 build 6 (released on February 24, 2014) :
Improved Check for Updates screen
- Clearer link to Updates Page on the website, to find out what is new.
- Now always shows the Expiration Date of your Update Plan and how many days of updates you have left.
- Several Access Violations in the main screen.
- Editing in main screen: Clicking an empty issue number would show "-2147483647".
- Editing in main screen: mouse wheel scrolling in drop down lists didn't work.
- Image View: Hovering over a cover didn't display the book title any more.
- Image View: in 2-panel mode after editing a book the first book would always be selected.
- Edit Lookup Lists: Series item had a column without caption (CLZ Series ID).
Version Cobalt.3 build 5 (released on February 17, 2014) :
- When editing a book, the Details Panel switched to Statistics view instead of staying on the book details.
Version Cobalt.3 build 4 (released on February 12, 2014) :
- Image View: "Regenerate Thumbnail" was missing in right click menu.
- Export to CLZ Books: Issue Number wasn't exported.
- Add Books Automatically: when using the "Edit after Add" option to modify Author values, an Access Violation could occur.
Version Cobalt.3 build 3 (released on January 23, 2014) :
- Severe performance problems that were introduced in the previous build (Cobalt.3.2).
Version Cobalt.3 build 2 (released on January 20, 2014) :
- Update File Links screen: Missing files list can now be sorted by clicking the column headers.
- Import from BookCAT XML: release number wasn't imported into issue number.
- In Read Only mode the entire toolbar was hidden.
Version Cobalt.3 build 1 (released on January 09, 2014) :
NEW: Import your BookCAT database and imagesOur longtime competitor FNProgramvare (the makers of BookCAT) has ceased operations.
With our new "Import from BookCAT" feature we're offering BookCAT users the possibility to switch to Book Collector for cataloging their books, with their existing database and images preserved.
Here's how to switch from BookCAT to Book Collector.
- Use BookCAT to export your database to an XML file.
- Then in Book Collector, choose File / Import from / BookCAT XML.
- In the Import from BookCAT XML screen, browse to the XML file.
- If (some of) your BookCAT using relative image paths, also indicate the location of your cover images.
- Click the Import button.
Version Cobalt.2 build 1 (released on January 03, 2014) :
Re-Designed Options screen (menu Tools / Options)
- Navigate between groups of settings using a two-level tree panel on the left
(instead of tabs at the top), which allows for a better categorization of settings.
- All settings have been re-categorized and renamed to make them clearer and easier to find.
- Tools / Edit Lists: Series item had a column without caption (CLZ Series ID).
- When using Author First Letter folders, it would always group on the first letter of the real Author name only and not on the Pseudonym as well.
- When using Author First Letter folders, non standard characters would always end up in the '-..-' group.
- Sync Up to CLZ Cloud: Rating couldn't be cleared.
Version Cobalt.1 build 4 (released on December 02, 2013) :
- Improved layout of "My CLZ Account" screen, to make it clearer that
one needs to enter CLZ Username and Password, NOT a license key.
- Improved layout of "My CLZ Account" screen, to make it clearer that
- Edit in List: It wasn't possible to change Read It from "Yes" to "No"
- Edit in List: It wasn't possible to assign Authors to a book without authors
- IE11 only : Dragging and dropping an image on details panel would open Photo Viewer.
Version Cobalt.1 build 3 (released on November 25, 2013) :
- Cancelling Import from XML screen would throw an Access Violation.
- Main Screen: in 2-panel mode the option "After Edit" option "Keep Current Folder Selected" wasn't working.
- Clearing the cover wouldn't automatically regenerate the thumbnail.
- Filtering: Filtering on empty date values wasn't working correctly.
Version Cobalt.1 build 2 (released on November 15, 2013) :
- Add/Update automatically: Author images weren't downloaded any more.
Version Cobalt.1 build 1 (released on November 12, 2013) :
New: Easier Author entry in Add Books Automatically
- The Author entry box in the Add Books Automatically now has a drop-down list
including all Author entries in your existing database.
- When typing in the box, it now "auto-completes" to any existing entries.
New: Support for "979 ISBNs"
- Book Collector now recognizes the new 13-digit "979" ISBNs as valid ISBN numbers.
- The central online book database is now able to deliver book data for the new "979" ISBNs.
New setting in Tools / Options, to control the main screen's "After Edit" behaviourChoose from:
- Let Selection "Follow" the Edited Book: This will keep the edited book selected,
even if the edit caused the book to move to a different folder (default behaviour).
- Keep Current Folder Selected. If this is selected, the selection will
always stay in the same folder that you were in before the Edit action.
Improved batch-editing of "checkbox list" fields
(Genres, Subjects and Extras)
- Now use Edit Multiple to *add* a Genre or Subject to all selected books.
Just check the value's checkbox, leaving other checkboxes as "Leave as is".
- Also, remove Genre or Subject values from multiple books, without touching other values.
This is done by unchecking a value, leaving all others in "Leave as is" state.
New: Import from XMLThis feature imports the XML format that is created by the Export to XML feature.
- Export your data to an XML file.
- Perform large or advanced modifications using 3rd party tools.
- Import your data back into Book Collector with the new Import from XML feature.
create a NEW empty Book Collector database first and import into that one.
Version Cobalt.0 build 2 (released on November 04, 2013) :
- Export to Text: new Encoding setting to choose between Unicode and UTF-8 format.
- "Index out of bounds" error sometimes occurred when switching from Cover Flow to Images View.
- "Index out of bounds" error sometimes occurred when selecting or unselecting in Images View.
- Export to List Pro didn't work any more (it exported to Unicode instead of the required UTF-8).
- Edit in List: Multi-line fields like Plot and Notes lost line-breaks after editing.
- Check for Update: screen wasn't completely showing on Windows system set to "Large Fonts".
- Templates: HTML lists in plot and notes fields would add extra line-break to end of the list.
Version Cobalt.0 build 1 (released on October 22, 2013) :
New: Edit directly in the main screen book listEasily make quick changes to your book entries, right in the main screen list. No need to open the Edit Book screen.
- Use the Edit in List button (top right) to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the book list to edit it.
- Blue columns are editable, greyed out columns are not (for read-only fields like ID)
- Directly edit text fields (like Title), choose from a dropdown for picklist fields (like Format, Publisher), use a checklist for multi-value fields (like Genres, Subjects) or pick a date from a calendar for date fields.
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes (for instance, book may move to a different folder when changing Author, Publisher, Genre, etc...)
New system for License Checks and Check for Updates
- New Software Unlock system
Previously, unlocking the trial edition into the licensed Standard or Pro edition was done by entering a License Name and License Key into the software. Not anymore!
Starting with the Cobalt versions, the only thing you need to do is login to the software with your CLZ Account (if you haven't done so already for cloud syncing). The program will automatically "know" which edition (Standard or Pro) you own.
- New Check for Updates system
Similarly, the new Cobalt versions will use your CLZ Account to give you a smarter Check for Updates system, showing you exactly which updates you are allowed to install with your current license, also automatically unlocking them after upgrading/updating.
- and more...
There's more to it than that, but ... full details next week!