What's new in CLZ Music for Android? (page 2)
Here it is, version 6.0 of the CLZ Music mobile app!
In this major update, we finally bring you THE most requested feature: being able to Edit Multiple Albums in one go. But there’s more, as we took this opportunity to completely re-design the Edit Album screen and to implement super useful Crop and Rotate tools for album cover images.
Here’s the full list of what’s new in version 6.0:
NEW: Edit Multiple Albums in one go!
Finally make changes to multiple (or all) album entries in one go.
- Tap and hold on an album in the list to enter Select Mode
- Now tap more albums to select them.
- Tap the menu button on the bottom right and choose “Edit [x] Albums”.
- In the screen tap appears, select which fields you want to edit.
(Tips: use the search box to find fields, tap the heart icons to set Favorite fields)
- Tap Edit at the top right.
- Now set values, or leave fields gray to clear them.
- Tap Done at the top right to save the changes to the selected albums.
Warning: the Edit Multiple feature is a very useful and powerful features, but… remember what Uncle Ben said: With great power comes great responsibility!
IMPROVED: Edit Album screen
A new look for all edit boxes and a more compact layout, making it much easier to edit your album entries, without scrolling through long lists of fields.
- The cover image is now on its own tab, so the main tab starts with the most important edit fields at the top.
- Fields are now laid out side-by-side, making it easier to edit all fields without endless scrolling.
- More compact look and user interface for all text edit fields.
- More compact display and editing of multi-value pick list fields like Authors, Genres, Subjects and Tags.
- Date fields: enter year, month day manually or use calendar icon to use date setter popup.
NEW: Built-in Crop and Rotate tool for cover images
In the Edit Album screen the Cover is now on its own tab, with new Crop and Rotate tools for instant rotating and cropping of self-made cover photos or downloaded images.
IMPROVED: Folder Field selection screen
Yep, another update of this screen, to make it fully consistent with the Select Edit Fields screen.
It now includes a search box at the top for quickly finding the field you want, plus the ability to create your own Favorites (just tap the heart icons).
Version 6.0 is coming up for all five CLZ mobile apps:
CLZ Books, CLZ Music, CLZ Movies, CLZ Comics and CLZ Games (probably in that order).
For “Vee Six” we decided to finally implement THE most commonly requested feature:
Editing Multiple entries in one go! (aka: Batch Editing)
At the same time, v6 will come with completely re-designed Edit screens. Check out some sneak preview screenshot below. More information about app-specific v6 features and improvements will follow later!
Finally: Edit Multiple entries in one go!
This has been the most common feature request for many years: How can I edit (or clear) the Grade/Location/Owner/etc… for many of my database entries in one go?
And in v6, it will finally be possible:
- Just select the entries you want to edit (using tap and hold), and choose Edit from the menu.
- Then select which fields you want to edit (or clear).
- Finally, set the values you want to set and click Done.
(These screenshots have been taken from the iOS edition of CLZ Comics, but the other 9 apps will look very similar):
Edit screen re-design
Also new in v6: completely re-designed Edit screens, to make them clearer, more compact and nicer looking.
No more long lists of fields, one per row. In the new screen, fields are placed side by side where possible, with the Cover on a separate tab. Resulting in a more compact screen, requiring less scrolling. Especially on tablet devices!
Some sneak preview screenshots:
(These screenshots have been taken from the iOS editions of CLZ Books and CLZ Music, but the other 8 apps will look very similar):
One of the most common complaints about the CLZ Music app has always been the lack of support for multi-disc albums. So we finally sat down and designed a good user interface to fix these problems once and for all.
The solution we implemented has two parts:
Add Albums screen: Add as Multi-Disc Album
This lets you add your new multi-disc albums the right way, straight from the Add Albums screen. Just select multiple 1-disc results and add them combined into a multi-disc album.
Merge existing albums into a Multi-Disc Album
This is for existing entries in our app, where the discs of a multi-disc album may be listed as separate albums. You can now combine/merge these into one album with multiple discs. Just tap and hold to select the albums, then select MERGE from the menu button.
Redesigned Select Folder Field screen
Through the years, the number of available folder fields has grown enormously, making the Select Folder Field screen a bit “unwieldy”. We decided to come up with a better solution.
This update includes a re-designed Select Folder Field screen, with all folder options nicely grouped under sensible headers, and the most popular options (Artist, Genre, Format) instantly accessible at the top.
- In the Add from Core screen, when adding an album that is already in your app as ‘On Wish List’ or ‘On Order’, the app will now offer to change its status to ‘In Collection’
- When scanning barcodes the “beep” sound would only sound on the first scan
- Search on own collection could be forgotten during scrolling/browsing your collection
- Field defaults screen could cause a crash
Faster CLZ Cloud syncing!
We have made several structural changes to the CLZ Cloud syncing, making it much much faster than before, especially when syncing large amounts of entries up to the CLZ Cloud or down from the CLZ Cloud.
To enjoy the faster syncing, you need to use the actual Sync with CLZ Cloud screen.
(The Auto-Syncing in the background is also slightly faster now, but if you need to sync many entries up or down, please use the Sync with CLZ Cloud screen.)
New design for Sync with CLZ Cloud screen
While we were at it, we decided to do a quick make-over for the Sync screen, with a new look and layout and a direct link to your CLZ Cloud page online.
- Made the touch area for scrollbars a bit bigger (useful for quick scrolling)
A small update for your CLZ Music app today: When adding albums by Artist/Title, you can now filter the search results to only show a specific format.
After searching for artist/title, tap the new “All Formats” button at the top right and switch it to “Vinyl” to see vinyl results only, or set to “CD” to list CDs only.
In this update we introduce a new quick-search for your folders, sorting your folders by the counters, and more stable cloud syncing through our brand-new dedicated Sync-server.
Quick-search your folders
Grouping in folders is a powerful way to browse and filter your collection. Just group by Artist, or Label, etc… tap a folder and the list will give you all albums for the selected Artist or Label.
However, if your collection spans thousands of albums, that “tap a folder” part is sometimes easier said than done. It may require lots of scrolling in the folder list.
But not anymore! This version introduces a new search box right above the folder list, that lets you instantly search/filter the folder list as you type! Just typing a few letters is often enough to bring the folder you are looking for into view:
Sort folders by count
By default, the folders are sorted alphabetically. But as of today, there is another option: sort your folders by the counter, that is by the number of albums contained.
Sorting by the counters is a nice way to find the most popular Artists, Labels, Genres, etc..
Switch between the Alphabetical and By Count sorting using the sort toggle at the top:
Improved barcode scanning
We have improved the scan engine and gave it a larger “scan area”. This should help scan barcodes faster and easier.
Now uses our brand-new CLZ Cloud Sync-server
Previously one big server was handling the Connect website, the CLZ Cloud website AND the CLZ Cloud syncing from the desktop programs and the mobile apps.
But this week we have set up a brand-new dedicated Sync-server to handle just the CLZ Cloud syncing.
In today’s update, CLZ Music has been updated to sync through this new server, which should result in faster syncing and a more stable syncing experience during high load times (weekends).
A big update for the CLZ Music app, introducing a new Statistics screen, a cool “infographic” style screen, showing totals and statistics about your music collection.
To open it, just choose “Statistics” from the menu.
In this new screen, you can find:
- The number of albums in your collection, and how many artists.
- How many tracks, and the total runtime.
- A top 5 list of your most recent additions.
- A nice pie chart showing the distribution of your albums over formats (CD, Vinyl, etc.)
- A bar chart of your albums by artist.
- A bar chart of your albums by genre.
A big step forward for the CLZ Music app today, in which we add more new editable fields:
- Recording Date
- Live (yes/no)
Of course, all the new fields sync to/from the CLZ Cloud too.
- Custom images were uploaded too often
- Add by Barcode: Barcode wasn’t showing in the result
- Crash in Field Defaults screen
- Edit screen: Edit pencil buttons were broken
- Custom covers could upload too often
- Some further modifications to the Manage Pick List screen and pick list pop-ups in the edit screens
Instead of working on new features, we decided to take a few weeks to look at existing screens and functionality and see where things could be improved, of course all based on your feedback.
Today’s update brings you the first user interface improvements we implemented (more coming up!):
Easier to find Edit and Remove buttons on album details screen (phone only)
Easier editing of pick list fields, especially multi-value fields
- Selected/checked values are now always at the top
- For multi-value fields (like Genre), check/uncheck multiple values in one go!
- Easier to find big button at the top for adding NEW values..
Complete Re-design of Manage Pick List screen
- Easier to find big button at the top for adding NEW values.
- Remove Unused and Merge action have now been moved to action (…) button top right.
- Easier to use Merge mode.
Add by barcode: New Clear Queue button and new “Scanning tips” popup
- Re-introduced a “sync changes pending” icon to the “Sync with CLZ Cloud” menu item
- Issue where users could not sign up for a new CLZ account.
- Improved error handling in the Add-screen.
This post is about CLZ Books Android v5.0.7 and CLZ Music Android v5.0.8
- Permission dialog will now pop up in the barcode scanning screen when the app does not have camera permissions.
- Small text fixes
Log in with existing CLZ Account
Improved “start trial” interface for users who are logging in with an existing CLZ Account was added to the following apps/versions:
- CLZ Music v5.0.4 for iOS
- CLZ Books v5.0.4 for iOS
- CLZ Music v5.0.7 for Android
- CLZ Books v5.0.6 for Android
- Quick Search wasn’t working correctly if the app was set to folder mode.
- Improved subscription purchase and CLZ user registration.
Fixed in today’s maintenance build:
- Possible crash after adding an album / switching folders.
- Old Import from Music Collector:
- The main list did not refresh after importing from Music Collector.
- Importing from a file failed due to missing storage permission. CLZ Music will now ask for the storage permission.
Small fix build for your app today:
- Some contact links could crash the app
- The “Add Collection” menu item was named incorrectly
After the release yesterday we had a couple of reports from users experiencing crashes with CLZ Music for Android. We found out it happened for devices that weren’t online.
We’ve fixed that now, and you can use the app online and offline. Thanks for reporting this! If you run into any issues with the app, let us know through support.
- A crash if device had no internet connection
- Collection name could contain a “new line”
It’s finally here: CLZ Music 5.0 for Android! With support for multiple collections, automatic syncing of your own images, plus a re-designed top bar and menu.
On top of that, (and the main reason why it took so long):
* Starting with v5, CLZ Music is now a subscription app!
Read on below to find out how that affects you (hint: it doesn’t!).
What’s new in CLZ Music 5.0 ?
CLZ Music is now a subscription app, costing $1.49/month
To allow us to keep delivering our CLZ online services (CLZ Cloud and CLZ Core) and our continuous updates to the app, the app has now become a subscription app. For new users, this subscription gives them access to the CLZ online services:
- CLZ Core: for adding albums by artist/title, barcode or cat. no.
- CLZ Cloud: for online backups and syncing between devices.
IMPORTANT: Of course, since you have purchased the app earlier, you have automatically received a life-time “Basic”-level subscription, which gives you access to your existing CLZ Core and CLZ Cloud services. You do not need to pay for a subscription!
In other words, the app now being a subscription app has no effect on you whatsoever!
If you still see any “unlock” problems with your app, please CONTACT US here and we’ll get it resolved ASAP.
Please note: We may introduce new “premium” CLZ services to the CLZ Music app later, which are not part of your free life-time “Basic” subscription. At that time, if you want to use the new services, you will be able to optionally upgrade to a “Premium” subscription.
Now supports and syncs multiple collections !
It is now possible to manage multiple “collections” within your app. The collections you create will be listed in the main menu, so you can easily switch between them.
Use the menu to add new collections, edit their names, change the order, etc…
Multiple collections now also sync through the CLZ Cloud, e.g. to/from the Music Connect cloud-based software or the Music Collector desktop software. So if you have created multiple collections on the desktop side, these will now finally be separated on the mobile app too!
Already have multiple collections in the CLZ Cloud?
If you already have multiple collections in the CLZ Cloud, here’s what to do to get your existing entries split up into multiple collections on your mobile app too:
1. Tap the menu top left
2. Tap “Sync with CLZ Cloud” and make sure you’re in sync.
3. Tap the menu top left again and tap “Maintenance”
4. Tap “Update all from CLZ Cloud”
5. Now use “Sync with CLZ Cloud” from the menu again.
Automatic cloud-syncing of your own “custom” images
Before v5, if you replaced the automatic Core front cover with your own image (e.g. from Camera Roll), it would not automatically sync to the CLZ Cloud. You had to “force” the upload by using Upload to CLZ Cloud in the Edit screen.
For version 5 we made this more automatic. We introduced a new toggle “Custom Image” in the Edit screen. This toggle will be automatically set when you replace the Core image. Once the Custom Image toggle is set, that cover will automatically sync to and from the CLZ Cloud.
- The menu icon now includes the “CLZ Music” mark (bigger tap area)
- The “Collection Status” filter button has been moved to the right
Re-designed main menu
- The menu now clearly shows your Account and Subscription Status at the top. Tap either of those to manage them.
- New “Maintenance” screen that now contains:
- the “Clear Database” option
- the “old Import from Music Collector” option
- the new “Update from CLZ Cloud” option (only use when instructed by support staff)
How to update your CLZ Music app to version 5:
- On your device, open the Play Store app.
- Tap the menu button on the top left, then tap “My apps & games”.
- Find the CLZ Music entry and tap “UPDATE” on the right.
- All panels in the main screen (folders, list and details) are now resizable using draggable separators between the panels, so that you can customize the layout to your own liking.
- The resizable panels in the Add screen have been updated to use the nicer look of the draggable separators.
By popular demand we’ve now added 2 new sort options for you:
- Artist, then Original Release Year (asc.)
- Artist, then Original Release Year (desc.)
Both can be set to artist ascending and descending too!
- The buttons to switch folders, sorting and view options have been moved to more logical places to make them more accessible.
- The skins and templates options are now only available from the settings screen.
- The selection mode button has been removed, just tap and hold on an item to start selecting items.
By popular demand, we have added more editable fields to CLZ Music:
Fields that are now fully editable:
- Sortnames for composers
- Original Release Date (exists next to regular release date)
- Media Condition (the old Condition field is now “Package/Sleeve Condition”)
- Vinyl Color
- Vinyl Weight
- Vinyl RPM
- Disc Title
But wait, that’s not all: All the above fields now also sync to and from the CLZ Cloud!
Secure HTTPS connections, for your security and privacy
As indicated in our GDPR email, we are updating our software and services, to be more secure and to better protect your privacy.
Starting with version 4.11 CLZ Music now uses secure HTTPS connections for all communications with our servers:
- for logging in with your username and password
- for syncing your data with CLZ Cloud
- for sending your searches to Core.
To make this possible, we have created new secure “entry points” on our servers, that are only allowing secure HTTPS connections. The new CLZ Music app only communicates with those secure entry points.
For your privacy and security, we strongly recommend updating your app to v4.11.
A new sort option:
A couple of months ago we introduced new sort orders, including “Artist, then Year (Asc)” where it would sort the year ascending. By request, we’ve now added “Artist, then Year (Desc)” so you can also have your years in descending order. The regular “Asc.” and “Desc.” toggles for those two sort options will only affect the Artist sort order.
New for the Add Albums screen:
- Add button is now bigger and easier to spot (some new users missed the little round “+”).
- Add button now “remembers” your collection vs. wish list selection. No need to pick from the Collection/Wish List popup menu every time you add anymore.
- Remove from queue button is now bigger and easier to spot. Tap and hold on a barcode in the queue to select barcodes you want to remove.
- Accented characters in sortnames/titles were sorted incorrectly.
- Main screen: the over-sensitive quickscroll bar in the thumbnail view has been fixed.
- Edit: ‘Done’- button doest not scroll from screen on manual scroll.
- Edit: New ‘Unsaved changes’ dialog.
- Cloud sync: Sync reporting ‘invalid xml’ in rare cases.
- Composer name could appear multiple times in the list cell.
- Index/Collection status was not shown in the list cells when ‘Order of entry’ sorting was enabled.
- Import from Music Collector was broken.
We’ve added new fields to sort on to change the order in which your albums are displayed in your list. Your album list will adapt to sort and show the field you’re sorting on. On top of that we’ve redesigned the Select Sort Order screen to make it more clear what you’re choosing.
Open the Select Sort Order screen by tapping the menu top right, then tap “Sort order”.
All available sort fields:
- Artist, then Year
- Artist, then Title
- Album Title
- Release Date
- Nr. of Tracks (New!)
- Length (New!)
- Order of Entry (New!)
- My Rating (New!)
- Purchase Date (New!)
- Purchase Price (New!)
- Current Value (New!)
- Quantity (New!)
All fields can be sorted either ascending or descending. Tap the field you wish to sort on, then tap “Apply” to confirm.