What's new in Game Collector for Windows? (page 2)
Quick Search: Search-As-You-Type suggestions
Instantly find and select a particular game in your local database:
- In the Quick Search box, just start typing the first few letters of the title you are looking for.
- While typing, a drop-down list will appear, showing the first five matching games (for most games, it only takes 2 or 3 letters before it shows up).
- Once you see the one you were looking for, use the up/down keys to select it, then hit Enter.
- The game will now be selected in your list, with the details showing in the Details Panel.
Easily add games that come up as “Unrecognized Barcode”
- In Add Games Automatically, when a barcode is not recognized, a new “Unrecognized Barcode” screen will appear.
- In this screen:
- Just find your game by platform and title (Search-As-You-Type is also active here!)
- Use the integrated Find Cover tool to select the cover image.
- Then click Add Game.
- This will:
- Instantly add the barcode to OUR Core online game database, connected to the game you selected.
- Add the game to YOUR database with full game details, your barcode and image AND linked to the new Core entry.
- Quick search now also supports Regular Expressions. Enter “matches:” followed by regular expression in the quick search box.
- Free Trial now has an information panel to show the user how to get started.
- Trial Popup has been simplified to make it easier to pick one of the options.
- The Trial Popup sometimes showed when it shouldn’t for existing users.
New: “Search-As-You-Type” suggestions when adding games by title
If you are adding most of your games “By Title”, then this will be a huge time-saver.
Here’s how the new “Search-As-You-Type” feature works:
- In the Add Games Automatically screen, just start typing the first letters of the game you want to add.
- While typing, a drop-down list will appear, instantly showing the five most popular games that match,
listing the title, platform and a small thumbnail image.
- For popular games, it usually takes only 2 or 3 letters before it shows up.
For older or less popular games, type a few more letters.
- Once you see your game appear, use the arrow keys to select it, then hit Enter.
- Then under Search Results, that exact game will be listed.
NEW: Choose between Light, Dark or System skins
Yes, We’re getting rid of the gray!
Game Collector now comes with a skin system, which affects the look of all screens in the program,
main screen, edit screens, add auto-screen, sync screen etc.. even the settings screens.
We have designed two different skins for you to choose from: Light and Dark.
The third option “System” is basically the old pre-v16.3 look.
- Light: A clean look, white backgrounds, dark fonts. Very readable, easy on the eye.
- Dark: A cool looking, modern design, with dark backgrounds, light fonts.
- System: Keep things as it was, with the program following your Windows theme.
The program now defaults to the Dark Skin. You can change to a different Skin using the Skin option in the View menu.
New view for the main screen: Card View
Next to List View, Images View and Cover Flow, we have added a Card View, a multi-column view with little info cards for each game, showing the main game details and a small cover thumbnail.
- Add Automatically: right click menu didn’t popup when there were no results showing
- Templates: Online https links didn’t open
Find Image Online tool now uses Bing Image Search
The Find Image Online tool previously used Google Images to find images.
However, it turns out that on December 1, Google terminated the free Google Image Search API
that we were using, causing our Find Image Online functionality to stop working.
Google provides a new paid version of the Search API, but it is limited to max 10K searches per day.
With the amount of customers we have, we need at least 20K daily searches (600K per month!) 🙁
The solution: Switch to BING!
Microsoft also offers a paid Bing Image Search API and this one has no limits.
Or, to be more precise, they let us pay more for higher limits.
We immediately went to work and updated all our Windows and Mac programs
to use Bing Images for the Find Image Online tool instead.
Obviously, this generates considerable extra monthly costs (well over US $1,000),
but we have decided that we will NOT pass on these extra costs to our customers.
So here it is: the new Find Image Online, powered by Bing. Enjoy!
- Freezes at start up for some users, caused by the webcam detection.
Webcam barcode scanning
Use your webcam as a barcode scanner, to add or find games by barcode.
- Scan barcodes with your webcam
Just use the live camera view to point your webcam at a barcode
and let our software detect the barcode that is in view.
- Use the webcam scanner to add games by barcode
Pop-up the scan window and scan game barcodes,
either using Direct Search or scanning into the Queue.
- Or use it in the main screen to find games by barcode
Scan a game barcode while in the main screen,
to quickly search your local database by barcode.
- Works best with auto-focus or manual-focus webcams
Fixed focus cameras will not work well (or at all).