What's new in CLZ Books for Android? (page 2)
New: Redesigned app icon
We designed new icons that give new users a better indication of what the app actually does (as opposed to just a different color CLZ logo), but still obviously belong together, when shown together.
And if you have Android 8.0 or higher, we’re also including an “adaptive app icon” as of today which are in line with all your other app icons!
Secure HTTPS connections, for your security and privacy
As indicated in our GDPR email from a couple of weeks ago, we are updating our software and services, to be more secure and to better protect your privacy.
Starting with version 4.10.4, CLZ Books now uses secure HTTPS connections for all communications with our servers:
- for logging in with your username and password
- for syncing your data with CLZ Cloud
- for sending your searches to Core.
To make this possible, we have created new secure “entry points” on our servers, that are only allowing secure HTTPS connections. The new CLZ Books app only communicates with those secure entry points.
For your privacy and security, we strongly recommend updating your app to v4.10.4
- The buttons to switch folders, sorting and view options have been moved to more logical places to make them more accessible.
- The skins and templates options are now only available from the settings screen.
- The selection mode button has been removed, just tap and hold on an item to start selecting items.
- Update from Core could (in some cases) overwrite manually entered information for the Authors, Publisher, ISBN, Series, Edition, Sub title, Dewey, Loc, Width and Height fields.
- Re-added index field to book information cell
Great news for all users of our book database solutions, on any version (old or new), on any platform (Connect, Windows, Mac, iOS and Android):
Our Core online book database now recognizes 97% of all ISBNs searched!
In the past few weeks, our web-developers have been working on several improvements to our Core online book database system, which has increased the success rate for ISBN searches to 97 percent!
Basically, this means that on average, for every 100 ISBNs you scan into the Add Books screen, our Core online book database will recognize 97, leaving only 3 as “unrecognized”.
(in the past, the success rate has always been around 89% to 90%.)
Note that this 97% is a world-wide average, over all users from all countries.
For US and UK books, the results are even better, at 99%. In other countries, the hit-rate will be slightly below 97%. But for everyone, it will definitely be better than before!
How can you start enjoying the improved ISBN searches?
The above is a “server-side” change, so you don’t need to do anything 🙂
You can now instantly experience the benefits, in the Book Connect web-based software, the Book Collector desktop software (Windows or Mac) and the CLZ Books mobile app (iOS or Android).
Whatever version you have! No update needed, no payment needed!
New for the Add Books screen:
- Add button is now bigger and easier to spot (some new users missed the little round “+”).
- Add button now “remembers” your collection vs. wish list selection. No need to pick from the Collection/Wish List popup menu every time you add anymore.
- Remove from queue button is now bigger and easier to spot. Tap and hold on a barcode in the queue to select barcodes you want to remove.
- Accented characters in sortnames/titles were sorted incorrectly.
- Main screen: the over-sensitive quickscroll bar in the thumbnail view has been fixed.
- Edit: ‘Done’- button doest not scroll from screen on manual scroll.
- Edit: New ‘Unsaved changes’ dialog.
- Cloud sync: Sync reporting ‘invalid xml’ in rare cases.
We’ve added new fields to sort on to change the order in which your books are displayed in your list. Your book list will adapt to sort and show the field you’re sorting on. On top of that we’ve redesigned the Select Sort Order screen to make it more clear what you’re choosing.
Open the Select Sort Order screen by tapping the menu top right, then tap “Sort order”.
All available sort fields:
- Publication Date
- Number of Pages (New!)
- Order of Entry (New!)
- Reading Date (New!)
- My Rating (New!)
- Purchase Date (New!)
- Purchase Price (New!)
- Current Value (New!)
- Quantity (New!)
- Dewey (New!)
- LoC Classification (New!)
- Series / Volume (New!)
- Series / Issue (New!)
All fields can be sorted either ascending or descending. Tap the field you wish to sort on, then tap “Apply” to confirm.
What’s new in the Add Books screen?
- Single Search Box: Just one box for search (e.g. like Google or Amazon). No more separate Author and Title boxes. Just enter (part of) the author’s name and (part of) the title and you will get the best matching results. (see the screen shot below with “crichton jurassic” results”).
- Search by Publisher and Year: Getting a lot of results? Filter down to the book edition you’re looking for by adding the publisher and/or publication year to your search! (see screen shot below)
- Custom written plots could be overwritten with the default plot when books were updated from the online CLZ Core for Books database.
- The app did not open the details page when a search result was selected in the quick search box while the [All Books] folder was active in phone mode.
Quick Search: Search-As-You-Type suggestions
Instantly find and select a particular book in your local database:
- In the Quick Search box, just start typing the first few letters of the author or title you are looking for.
- While typing, a drop-down list will appear, showing the first five matching books.
(for most books, it only takes 2 or 3 letters before it shows up.)
- Once you see the book you were looking for, tap it to bring up its detail page
- TIP: Tap the search button on the keyboard or tap “View All Results” to perform the normal search.
Quick Search now searches more fields
Now also searches in:
- LoC Classification
- LoC Control Nr
Full list of fields that are now searched:
- LoC Classification
- LoC Control Nr
A new v4.8 update for your app is available now, with:
Automatic CLZ Cloud syncing
Add or edit books and your changes will auto-upload to the CLZ Cloud instantly.
Made changes on the desktop or Connect side? Just start the app and changes will download automatically.
Note: Auto-Syncing is switched OFF by default. Switch it ON in the “Sync with CLZ Cloud” screen.
Don’t have a CLZ Cloud account yet?
If you don’t have a CLZ Cloud account yet, I strongly recommend signup up for one from the app. Using the CLZ Cloud is completely free!
The CLZ Cloud syncing will let you:
- Sync your data between devices, e.g. between your phone and your tablet. Or from your old phone to your new phone.
- View your database online using the free CLZ Cloud viewer website.
- Make an online backup of your data. Better safe than sorry!
In today’s update for the CLZ Books app, we have made further tweaks to the Add Books from CLZ Core screen, to make it clearer than previous versions:
- Slightly smaller font for the book title, so that longer titles fit better.
- Color high-lighting: Books already ‘on wish list’ now have an orange title, books already “in collection” show up with a blue title.
Fixes in this update:
- After changing the sort order the list could sometimes scroll to a random position.
- Small CLZ Cloud Sync tweaks.
- After restarting the app it would sometimes repeatedly scroll to the last added book.
- After manually typing a barcode in the add by barcode screen you weren’t able to search another one.
- Added loan fields to the CLZ Cloud sync.
- After tapping the “Not Found?” button to add a book anyway, the app could crash on adding an author.
- A loan manager to loan and return books.
- Added a new “All Books” folder with a back button to go back to your folders
- Made some improvements to the barcode scanner
- Manual focus for barcode scanning
- Crash in the add auto screen when adding a mix of new books and books on wish list by barcode
- Crash in the pick cover option in the edit screen
This update to the CLZ Books app for Android brings user interface improvements to the Add Books screen:
- All panels are now resizable (list, details, camera)
- When adding a book that is already on your wish list, the app now lets you change its status to “In Collection”.
- Adding By ISBN barcode:
- Camera scanner is now integrated in Add screen, not a separate screen
- Tap the keyboard icon in the camera panel to enter an ISBN manually
- ISBN Barcode queue is now remembered between sessions
- Press and hold to delete an ISBN barcode from the queue
- Adding By Author/Title:
- Book not found? Easy add it manually using the special entry in the results list
An important v4.3.9 update for your CLZ Books Android app is now available.
This update introduces an easier way to deal with “Unrecognized ISBNs”.
A new screen that not only helps you to add the book to your database anyway, but also helps your fellow CLZ Books users by instantly adding the missing ISBN to the CLZ Core central online book database.
(this feature was introduced for our Windows, Mac and iOS versions earlier, and in the meantime, people have used this new tool to add over 22 thousand new books to our Core!)
- In the Add screen, when a scanned ISBN is not recognized, a new “Unrecognized ISBN” screen will appear.
- In this screen, just enter the Author, Title, Publisher and Year, then click Add Book.
- This will:
- Add the book to your own database, with the information you filled in.
- Add the book to our Core central online book database.
The result: for the next user who searches for this particular ISBN, it will be recognized 🙂
- Added Folder options for Country and store
- CLZ Cloud Sync button now indicates “out of sync” status using red exclamation mark
- App now automatically restores the Unlock Full App in-app purchase
- Fixed hardware keyboard enter not working in tablet search field
- Fixed screen rotation not working on phones
A huge v4.3 update for your CLZ Books app is now available.
And prepare to be shocked 🙂 (in a good way, don’t worry):
The app looks completely different now, with a cleaner brighter look and an improved user interface.
What’s new in CLZ Books 4.3 for Android?
- New “Material”-based interface, with two skins/themes: Light & Dark.
(The app now starts in the Light skin. If you prefer the Dark look, just use the View menu top right)
- Big floating blue “+” button for adding books.
- Access all other features and tools from “hamburger” menu top left.
- Clear and easy switch between All / In Collection / Wish List at the top.
- Access all other view options from menu on top right.
- Add screen: tabs at the top to switch between Author/Title and ISBN modes.
- Add Manually is now a separate menu item in the menu on the left.
- Redesigned book list entries.
- Old Import from Book Collector has been moved to Settings screen!
- New “Manage Pick Lists” tool for editing and merging Authors, Publishers, Genres, Subjects, etc…
- Edit screen: Edit the Sort Names for Authors for complete control over correct author sorting.
- Edit screen: Now edit the names of Publishers, Genres, Subjects etc…
- Edit screen: New “value picker” screen for quickly filling fields like Author and Genre.
- New Tools menu, with Manage Pick Lists, Field Defaults and Empty Database tools.
CLZ Books is now free to download, with a database limit of 100 books.
If you purchased CLZ Books *before* the 4.0 release, then the 4.0 version will be automatically unlocked to an *unlimited* database size. You do NOT need to pay again 🙂
If, for whatever reason, this didn’t work for you, then just CONTACT US and and we’ll unlock it manually, free of charge!
Improved Add Books screen:
- Easily switch between Add methods (Title/ISBN/Manual).
- Re-designed search results with included cover images.
- Add by ISBN now automatically opens Camera Scan screen.