Movie Collector for Mac OS X updates
What's new in Movie Collector for Mac OS X ?
Version 16.2 build 3 (released on January 17, 2017) :
- Crash: Add Movies Automatically screen could be prompted while using the program.
Version 16.2 build 2 (released on January 03, 2017) :
- Cards View: Quick Search didn’t filter the cards in the list.
- First Letter folder option was not using the Sort Names.
- Loan Manager Screen: Search was not working.
- Sierra: Full Screen Mode: "Add Cover" popup appears under the Edit Screen.
- Internal Images: Templates images were not updated after editing an item.
- When no internet connection was available, app was launched in Trial Mode.
- Main List: Missing "Format Icon" for movies without formats
Version 16.2 build 1 (released on December 22, 2016) :
Easily add movies that come up as "Unrecognized Barcode"
- In Add Movies Automatically, when a barcode is not recognized, a new "Unrecognized Barcode" screen will appear.
- In this screen:
- Just find your movie by title (Search-As-You-Type is also active here!)
- Select the format (DVD, Blu-Ray, etc..)
- Use the integrated Find Cover tool to select the cover image.
- Then click Add Movie.
- This will:
- Instantly add the barcode to OUR Core online movie database, connected to the movie you selected.
- Add the movie to YOUR database with full movie details, your barcode, format and image AND linked to the new Core entry.
In other words, this new screen not only helps you in adding unrecognized movies,
but it also helps your fellow Movie Collector users by adding the missing barcode to the CLZ Core.
( BTW: this screen replaces the "Report Missing Barcode to Core" web-form. Of course, you can still provide more info for the added barcode using the Submit to Core button in the Edit Movie screen. )
- Main Screen: after resizing the first column too much, the text was no longer readable
- Edit Movie: Closing the edit screen could cause a crash on El Capitan
Version 16.1 build 8 (released on December 01, 2016) :
- Main screen: switching from details to statistics would crash the program
- Edit Screen: Manage Pick List Screen opened: Crash when removing an item from the list, and closing Edit Screen.
Version 16.1 build 7 (released on November 23, 2016) :
- Program would crash on startup or load incorrectly for OS older than Sierra
Version 16.1 build 6 (released on November 22, 2016) :
- Free Trial now has an information panel to show the user how to get started.
- Trial Popup has been simplified to make it easier to pick one of the options.
- The Trial Popup sometimes showed when it shouldn't for existing users.
Version 16.1 build 5 (released on November 02, 2016) :
- Edit Screens: Memo text fields like Plot and Notes could not be scrolled up and down
Version 16.1 build 4 (released on October 24, 2016) :
- Add Movies Automatically:
- Movies were added without data and as “Untitled Movie” when adding several from the queue
- After adding a result in queue mode the search wasn’t removed from the queue
- Searching all entered barcodes in the queue could cause a crash
Version 16.1 build 3 (released on October 19, 2016) :
Improvements to Add Movies Automatically screen
- Title searches: Search-As-You-Type suggestions drop-down now includes an extra entry
"Show all results", to take you directly to the "normal" title search results.
- Title searches are now much faster, as the program does not download all edition listings for all movies anymore.
It now downloads these "on demand", only for the movie entries that you expand to see the edition list.
- MacOS Sierra: When running the program in full screen mode popups were hidden below the program's main screen.
- The Edit screen sometimes crashed when trying to add a new feature under "Episodes & Features"
- Add Movies Automatically:
- Search As You Type: Auto select has been disabled as it was causing confusion.
- Region filter didn't work.
Version 16.1 build 2 (released on September 19, 2016) :
- Check for Updates was broken for macOS Sierra.
- Templates were broken when User Defined Field headers contained special characters.
- Add Automatically: “Search as you Type” results didn’t show the release year and title in macOS Lion and below.
Version 16.1 build 1 (released on August 29, 2016) :
New: "Search-As-You-Type" suggestions when adding movies by title
If you are adding most of your movies "By Title", then this will be a huge time-saver.
Here's how the new "Search-As-You-Type" feature works:
- In the Add Movies Automatically screen, just start typing the first letters of the title you want to add.
- While typing, a drop-down list will appear, showing the five most popular titles that match,
including the release year and a small thumbnail image.
- For recent / popular movies, it usually takes only 2 or 3 letter before it shows up.
For older or less popular movies, type a few more letters.
- Once you see your movie appear, use the arrow keys to select it, then hit Enter.
- Then under Search Results, that exact movie will be listed, automatically Previewed on the right.
- Click the Add Selected button to add it to your database.
Important: this is an *extra* tool, that makes it easier and faster to add recent and/or popular movies
(although you should be able to find any older or less popular movie by typing more letters).
It is not a replacement of the normal title search, which still works like it always did :-)
Some background: This new tool is doing an online search request to our server with every letter you type in the Search box, the results instantly updating the drop-down list with the 5 most popular matches.
To make these instant "suggestions" possible, our webdev guys have developed a completely new movie suggestions search engine. This new "Search-As-You-Type" engine is now running on its' own separate web-server in our server farm.
See it in action:
Version 16.0 build 8 (released on June 14, 2016) :
- Main Screen: 2 Panels Horizontal Layout: view sizes were not restored.
- Add Automatically: By barcode: Sometimes a new movie was added without barcode.
- Manage Pick List: sometimes no warning was shown for duplicated items.
- CLZ Cloud Sync: Fixed a crash when down-syncing a new movie.
- 2 Panels Mode: Folders were always sorted by article.
- Folders: Preference "Ignore SortName of Person Item" was not working.
Version 16.0 build 7 (released on May 10, 2016) :
- Templates: Template: Barcode icon was missing
- Main Screen: Edit in List
- un(checking) checkbox lists didn’t trigger a "sync change"
- changing "Seen It" and "Changing Date" didn’t trigger a "sync change"
- Cards View: the new cover was not displayed using Find Cover
- Add Auto: sometimes not selected queue items were also added using "Add Selected" in queue mode
- Export to Text: Running Time was not displaying in correct format
Version 16.0 build 6 (released on April 19, 2016) :
- New Maintenance tool: Tools > Maintenance > Open database location
- Add/Update Automatically: Musician and Cinematographer values were not downloaded
- Automatically Close Add Auto screen after queue is emptied was not working
- List Sorting: Empty values were not sorted correctly
Version 16.0 build 5 (released on April 05, 2016) :
- "Ultra HD Blu-ray" icon was not visible
- Add auto screen: "Collection Status" setting was not working properly
- Images View: Newly added items with "Add Automatically" were not selected
Version 16.0 build 4 (released on March 22, 2016) :
- Templates: changing Seen It/Rating didn't trigger a change for syncing
- Templates: 2 panels mode with selected folder: selection was lost after changing "Seen It"
- Edit in List: Edit Rating was not working
- Templates: Online Links: "https" URLs didn’t open
- Cover Flow panel now has a black background
- Performance: Statistics are no longer updated if not necessary
- Sort Sets selection was sometimes lost after restarting the app
- Main Screen: "Collection status" filter selection was not remembered after restarting the app
Version 16.0 build 3 (released on March 07, 2016) :
- Menu: "View > Cards" item was missing
- Cards View was not working on Mavericks
Version 16.0 build 2 (released on February 17, 2016) :
- List View could crash after opening the program, making it seem like no database was open.
Version 16.0 build 1 (released on February 17, 2016) :
New view for the main screen: Card View
Next to List View, Images View and Cover Flow, we have added a Card View, a multi-column view with little info cards for each movie, showing the main movie details and a small cover thumbnail.
Delete Orphaned Images
Clean up your hard-disk by deleting all unused cover images and thumbnails.
- This tool scans your configured Images Folder or database container to find all images
that are not linked to your current database file.
- Browse the list of found orphaned images in List or Images View.
Check thoroughly to make sure these can all be deleted.
- Finally, use the red "Delete Selected Images" button,
and all "checked" images will be removed from your computer.
WARNING: Do NOT use this tool if you have multiple databases !!!!
Enhanced database Backup and Restore system
Keep multiple time-stamped backups and easily restore them.
- The software now keeps multiple time-stamped database backups of data,
saved inside your Backup folder as "[yourdatabasename].mvcp[timestamp] [# of items] Movies".
- Use the new "Backup Folder" option in Movie Collector / Preferences / Folders to set your Backup folder location.
- Use the new "Number of Days" setting in Movie Collector / Preferences / Backup to select
how many days of backups you want to keep. Older files are automatically pruned.
- Use the Tools / Maintenance / Restore Database submenu to easily restore a backup.
Restored backups are copied back inside your MVCP database file.
Upon conversion of the database, the software will move all old format backups from inside the database file to the Backup Folder that has been set in Movie Collector / Preferences / Folders, making the database file a lot smaller in size.
New QuickSilver template, new QuickSilver Shelves for Images View
- "Out of memory" crashes after using the program for a few hours.
- Main screen sort order was not preserved when using Edit in List feature.
- Add Movie Files: Crash when clicking the Scan button a second time.
- 2 Panels / Image View / Alphabet Bar : sometimes the edit screen wouldn't open.
- Sorting on numeric fields: empty values were not sorted correctly.
- Yosemite only: Export to Text screen didn't open.
- Add Auto: Edit After Adding: values in Pick Lists were not saved
- Cloud Syncing: Storage Slot was not correctly downloaded from the Cloud.
- Details Pane: Trailer videos were not displaying.
- Add Auto/Update: Include Core Links preference was not working.
Version 15.6 build 2 (released on December 04, 2015) :
- Fixed a crash on Mountain Lion & Lion
Version 15.6 build 1 (released on December 03, 2015) :
Find Image Online tool now uses Bing Image Search
The Find Image Online tool previously used Google Images to find images.
However, it turns out that on December 1, Google terminated the free Google Image Search API
that we were using, causing our Find Image Online functionality to stop working.
Google provides a new paid version of the Search API, but it is limited to max 10K searches per day.
With the amount of customers we have, we need at least 20K daily searches (600K per month!) :-(
The solution: Switch to BING!
Microsoft also offers a paid Bing Image Search API and this one has no limits.
Or, to be more precise, they let us pay more for higher limits.
We immediately went to work and updated all our Windows and Mac programs
to use Bing Images for the Find Image Online tool instead.
Obviously, this generates considerable extra monthly costs (well over US $1,000),
but we have decided that we will NOT pass on these extra costs to our customers.
So here it is: the new Find Image Online, powered by Bing. Enjoy!
- Covers and Images sort order was not immediately updated after closing the "Choose Sort Fields" screen.
- Images View: when an alphabet letter was selected, the Edit Item menu option was disabled.
- Fixed a selection issue after closing Edit Screen
- Fixed some crashes.
Version 15.5 build 3 (released on October 21, 2015) :
- Fixed performance issues in the main screen.
Version 15.5 build 2 (released on October 01, 2015) :
- El Capitan compatibility: errors when installing "Can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed."
- Issue with Developer Identity in OSX El Capitan.
- Shelf mode, 2 Panels, Detail View: sometimes the wrong movie was displayed after filtering with Alphabet Bar.
- Folders were not always sorted correctly.
Version 15.5 build 1 (released on September 21, 2015) :
Sync more fields to the CLZ Cloud and your mobile app!
In April, with v15 for PC & Mac and v3 for iOS/Android, we upgraded our Cloud Syncing to be easier, faster and more reliable.
Today, we're making the next step: syncing more fields.
In today's updates to all our movie-related tools, we are adding 6 more fields to the CLZ Cloud syncing:
- The CLZ Cloud syncing and mobile apps now also support multiple Format values, e.g. Blu-ray and DVD.
- The Seen It info for episodes are now synced to/from the CLZ Cloud.
Obviously, to synchronize these 8 fields between desktop and mobile, you need today's new versions on both sides:
- Movie Collector 15.5 for Windows or Mac
- CLZ Movies 3.1 for iOS or Android (also released today)
ALSO NOTE: after updating your Movie Collector desktop software, all movie entries that have data in one of the 8 new sync fields will be marked as "Modified", making sure they are synced UP TO the CLZ Cloud next time you sync. So in your first Cloud Sync you may suddenly see lots of movies being uploaded, this is expected, intended and necessary :-)
- Crashes on Mavericks, that happened when sorting by specific columns and then closing/reopening the program.
- Minutes or Hours:Minutes Preference was not working.
- Drag & Drop was not working for all folders.
- Rare: Bad Memory Access Crash when launching the program.
Version 15.4 build 2 (released on September 09, 2015) :
- Title Column did not participate in font size changes.
- Tools / Maintenance / Reassign Index Field was not working anymore.
- Crashes on start up related to specific sort settings.
- Several problem in 2-panel mode plus Images View:
- Double-Click" to open Edit Screen was not working.
- Quick Search was not working.
- Alphabet Bar was not working.
- Sorting was not working properly.
Version 15.4 build 1 (released on September 02, 2015) :
- The "tree panel" has become the Folder Panel.
This Folder Panel now always shows folders, and folders *only*.
- The "list panel" on the right is now the Movie List Panel.
This Movie List Panel always shows a list of *movies*, never folders.
- New BIG folder button to the left of the bread-crumb bar.
Now also displays the currently selected folder Preset.
- No more situations where the left and right panels show the same list.
- The Images and Cover Flow view always show *movie cover images*
Which is what they are for. No more big ugly folder, disc or episode icons.
- Selecting movie(s) is *always* done in the Movie List Panel.
No more confusion about actions behaving differently depending on
wether a movie has been selected in the tree or the list.
- Use the Folder Panel to *filter* the movie list in the Movie List Panel.
E.g. select the Horror folder to make the Movie List show horror movies.
- Click the root/top folder to show *all* movies.
Select the top item in the folder tree to make the Movie Panel show
all movies in your collection. No need to switch to No Folders mode.
- No Folders Mode? Then no Folder Panel.
Don't want to use folders? No problem, switch to No Folders mode and the
Folder Panel will disappear, resulting in a nice "Classic Mode" view.
- Only two panels: Movie List and Movie Details, no Folder Panel.
- Folders are "integrated" into the Movie List as extra folder rows.
- The Two Panel Layout is available in Horizontal and Vertical versions.
Re-designed Field Selection screens for Sorting, Columns and Folders
- Clearer layout: Available Fields on the left, Selected Fields on the right.
- Easier selection of fields: just drag from left to right to select, from right to left to remove.
- Or use keyboard short-cuts:
- While in Available Fields list: hit Spacebar to move the selected field to the right.
- While in Selected Fields list: hit Del to remove the selected field.
- Manage your Field Presets using the dropdown list and buttons top right (PRO edition only).
- Switch between Presets using the dropdown list.
- Create a new Preset using the plus "+" button.
- Create a copy of the current Preset using the Duplicate button.
- Rename a Preset using the pencil button.
- Remove a Preset using the trash can button.
- When syncing new movies down *from* Core, it always use Core values for the Format field, not your own Cloud format data.
Version 15.3 build 3 (released on August 13, 2015) :
New settings in Tools / Options to control the sorting
Some users just like to sort Actors by their Firstnames.
Others like to sort titles *including* "The" and "A".
With today's new "Ignore" settings in Tools / Options / Sorting, they finally can:
- Ignore the Sort Names of Person items (e.g. Actors) YES/NO
- Ignore the Sort Title field
- Show Sort Titles instead of Titles
- Memory issue in User Defined Fields code
Version 15.3 build 2 (released on July 22, 2015) :
Updated: Alphabet Bar
- Alphabet Bar now uses full width of Main Screen
- Alphabet Bar menu item now toggles between "Show Alphabet Bar" and "Hide Alphabet Bar"
Version 15.3 build 1 (released on July 21, 2015) :
New: Alphabet Bar in main screen
- An A to Z alphabet bar is now available at the top of your main screen.
- Click a letter to quickly filter your movie list by the first letter of the Title.
- The letter buttons are automatically greyed out if there are no movie titles starting with that letter.
- The bar automatically stretches to fit the width of your screen. Wider screen -> bigger buttons.
- Hide/Show the Alphabet Bar using the new option in the View menu.
Version 15.2 build 3 (released on July 13, 2015) :
- Crash when starting on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
Note: this is the final Snow Leopard compatible build.
Support for Snow Leopard will be dropped from future versions!
Version 15.2 build 2 (released on July 08, 2015) :
Tweaks to CLZ Cloud Syncing screen and toolbar buttons.
- CLZ Cloud Syncing screen:
- Login info and CLZ Cloud viewer link now prominently displayed at the top.
- Optional "Do you want to view your CLZ Cloud now?" message after syncing.
- CLZ Cloud toolbar in main screen:
- Sync button now shows Sync Status (red exclamation mark indicating "not in sync").
- New View my CLZ Cloud button (existing users: place on toolbar using View / Toolbar / Customize).
More stable CLZ Barry connections
The built-in CLZ Barry support has been changed to always keep your Barry connection "alive".
No more spontaneous disconnects. Requires CLZ Barry 2.0 (free update for iOS and Android).
Version 15.2 build 1 (released on June 17, 2015) :
Core for Movies: New Report/Submit to Core feature
Both the old-skool "Submit to Collectorz.com" and the relatively new "Report Error" features have now been replaced by our brand-new Report to Core feature.
Reporting Core data errors:
If you spot a data error while adding a movie in the Add Auto screen, choose Report Error to Core,
and you'll be take to a form on the website where you can make the correction yourself (CLZ Account required).
Submitting movie data to Core:
An easier way to report errors or to submit extra data to us, is the Submit to Core feature (available from the Main and Edit screens). Submit to Core lets your upload your local data for a movie to the "Report to Core" form on the website and use that to fix or enhance our central Core data.
Core for Movies: Report Missing Movie now allows ANY website URL
The Reporting Missing Movie feature lets you report movies that are missing from our Core for Movies online movie database.
Where previously an IMDB ID or IMDb URL was required, you can now also point us to any other website (e.g. an online shop) that shows the DVD or Blu-ray you're missing.
However: when your missing movie is actually listed on IMDb, please keep submitting an IMDb ID or IMDb URL.
This still is preferred method. It enabled us to automatically check if we have the movie or not. The new "any website" option should mainly be used for DVDs or Blu-rays that are not "movies", e.g. music, documentaries, fitness video's, etc... Thanks!
- Preferences: crash on OS X Leopard and Lion.
- The app was crashing on startup when a Folder Set with an empty name was selected.
Version 15.1 build 3 (released on June 03, 2015) :
- CLZ Cloud Sync: Fixed an error during Cover Upload (problem with Movie Posters).
- CLZ Cloud Sync: Fixed a crash which happened in the Sync screen while it was scrolling down.
Version 15.1 build 2 (released on May 29, 2015) :
- When clicking the "Unlock" button in the program / splash screen, the program did not open the correct preference panel.
Version 15.1 build 1 (released on May 28, 2015) :
Re-Designed Preferences screen
- Navigate between groups of settings using a two-level tree panel on the left
(instead of tabs at the top), which allows for a better categorization of settings.
- All settings have been re-categorized and renamed to make them clearer and easier to find.
New: Import from Text
Import basic movie data into Movie Collector from other programs:
Upload to CLZ Cloud and Submit to Core features
now automatically resize cover images that are too large
No more failed image uploads because of the 500kb limit. Both the Upload to CLZ Cloud and Submit to Core features now automatically resize images to within 750x750 pixels when uploading.
- Cloud Sync: Items modified by “Re-assign Index Fields" were not seen as changes for the Cloud upload.
- Manage Pick Lists: Crash after editing Display Name for UDF lists.
- Manage Pick Lists: Crash when Adding an item and then cancelling straight away.
- Edit Screen: In some situations, editing a person entry could crash the app.
- Edit Screen: Years field lists were not wide enough on Snow Leopard.
Version 15.0 build 3 (released on May 04, 2015) :
- CLZ Cloud Syncing 2.0: several rare problems with the syncing of cover images.
- Manage User Defined Fields screen: Removing a User Defined field resulted in a program crash.
Version 15.0 build 2 (released on May 01, 2015) :
- New sync protocol crashed on Snow Leopard.
- Add Movie Manually: the “Cancel” button was not closing the screen.
- CLZ Barry Scanner: if a movie was edited before scanning, the scanned barcode was wrongly added to the previously edited movie.
- Manage Pick Lists: fixed a crash on Mavericks.
- Check for Update: wasn't working correctly with an expired license.
- Main List: dates with unspecified day and “January" as month were displaying an incorrect year.
- Saved "Sort Field Sets" are now sorted alphabetically.
- Templates: Blockz: Current Value was displayed without decimals.
- Pref add/Update: Cinematography and Musicians limit was not working correctly.
Version 15.0 build 1 (released on April 29, 2015) :
Welcome to Movie Collector version 15, aka "The Carbon Edition"!
New CLZ Cloud Syncing v2.0
We have completely rewritten the CLZ Cloud syncing mechanism,
to make it easier to use, faster and capable of syncing very large databases.
- Easier: One "Synchronize" button that syncs up and/or down as needed.
No more need to choose the sync direction (Up or Down). Just click the single Synchronize button and
the system will automatically upload your local changes and download your cloud-side changes.
- Faster: Sync your additions, changes and removals within a few seconds.
The software now keeps track of your adds, edits and removes, so when synchronizing with the CLZ Cloud,
it already knows which items need to be up- or downloaded, making the actual sync very fast.
( the initial full sync may be slightly slower though, but you only need to do that once )
- More scalable: Transfer very large databases without problems.
The syncing process is now a series of tiny data uploads and downloads, as opposed to
a single huge upload/download. This ensures that databases of any size can be synced.
- More reliable: Solves many problems of the old syncing system.
No more "invalid XML" when uploading large collections, no more changes that keep recurring every sync.
No more starting from scratch in case of connection problems, just continue where you left off.
New "Carbon" template for the details panels
- 4 different styles: Carbon Dark, Carbon Light, Plain Dark and Plain Light.
- Fully adaptive to the width of the details panel, to always make best use of the available space.
New Carbon Shelves style for the Images View
A new carbon look shelves style to match the Carbon template.
Version Cobalt.9 build 4 (released on March 30, 2015) :
- Find Cover screen: cropping didn't work.
- Sometimes “Manage Pick List” screen was crashing and it was not possible to open it anymore.
- Detail View was blank when using special characters in the Field Names.
- Templates: Plot & Notes were not displayed with new paragraphs and new lines.
Version Cobalt.9 build 3 (released on March 16, 2015) :
- Add Auto: when changing language, the original title was not added to the movie.
- Movies with “+” in the filename were not played.
- Edit Screen: Persons Tables: Cells were not correctly aligned with the columns.
- Manage Pick Lists:
- After adding a duplicate, an empty row was added to the list.
- Sort order is now case insensitive.
- Database Totals didn't always show the real "totals".
- Main Menu:
- File > Export to Text was sometimes greyed out.
- File > Save Database As.. was very slow.
- Column Feld Selection Screen: Duplicate Columns Set: some columns were wrongly checked.
Version Cobalt.9 build 2 (released on February 26, 2015) :
- Preferences Screen: "Automatically Increment Index" Yes/No didn't save correctly.
- Add / Update settings: Backcover setting wasn't correct on first install.
- Fixed an issue with handling barcodes from OPN-2001 scanner.
- Add / Link Files: Hidden "Already Linked Files" were added anyway when clicking "Batch Add Checked"
- Edit Screen: Date Fields were too narrow
- Upload Cover to CLZ Cloud: Replaced "Invalid Action" error with something more understandable.
- Loan Manager: Default Loan Period wasn't saved correctly.
Version Cobalt.9 build 1 (released on February 18, 2015) :
Edit Movie: Easier adding and managing of Cast and Crew fieldsA new user interface for adding new cast and crew entries and managing their First and Last Names
straight from the Edit Movie screen, without opening the Tools / Manage Pick Lists screen.
Instead, REMOVE the actor (bin icon), then ADD the other actor using the "Search box" at the top of the actor table.
- Screen wide multi-column tables for Actor and Crew in Edit Movie screens.
- Tables show multiple columns with Display Name, First/Last Names and Sort Names (and Character for Actor, and Role for Crew).
- How to Add Actors to your movies:
Add new entries using a new search box above the table, that auto-filters the pick lists as you type.Then select one of your existing Actors, or click "Add Actor" to add the actor to your actor list.
- Directly edit First and Last Names in the table, without opening the Manage Pick Lists screen.
- Or click the Edit (pencil) button in front of a name to directly edit the item inside the Manage Pick Lists screen.
- Easy re-ordering of entries by dragging the "drag" icon in the 1st columns.
- Easy removal of entries using the Delete (bin) icons on each row (in the last column).
- Direct access to relevant pick lists manage screen using the "Manage ... List" button top right.
The Manage Pick Lists screen will automatically select the entry that was selected in the Edit screen.
- Easy changing of roles via drop down pick list for Crew entries.
Adaptive layout of Edit Movie screenNo more useless grey areas on big screens!
- The layouts of all tabs in the Edit Movie screens are now adapting to fit the size of the screen.
- Edit boxes and drop down list get wider when you make your Edit screen wider.
- Checkbox list and multi-value grids get higher (and wider) when increasing the size of your Edit screen.
New List Selector panel in Tools / Manage Pick Lists screen
- Tools / Edit Lists is now called Manage Picks Lists.
- New list selection panel on the left replaces drop down menu.
- New "Favorites" area for your most commonly used lists (defaults to Actor, Crew, Format, Genre)
- Drag and drop to and from Favorites area to create your own Favorites list.
- It is now possible to delete pick list items that are still in use (#Used > 0),
without having to hunt down all places where the value is used.
- Choose Remove on an item, answer Yes to the "Delete anyway?" question,
and the program will automatically clear this value in all fields where it was in use.
Find Image screen now available for Box Sets
You can now use the "Find Cover" screen on the images tab of the Edit Box Set screen.
New Folder option for "Title First Letter"
Use the blue folder button and choose "Title First Letter" to group your movies on the first letter of their title.
More consistent Core / Cloud terminology
- "Update Movies Automatically" is now called "Update from Core".
- "Link Movies" is now called "Link with Core".
- "Unlink Movies is now called "Unlink from Core".
- "Upload Cover for Selected Movie" is now called "Upload Cover to CLZ Cloud".
New Automation behaviour related to Ratings and Seen It
- When you set a Viewing Date for a movie, the Seen It field is automatically set to YES.
- When you set a personal Rating for a movie, the Seen It field is automatically set to YES.
(Optional, switched ON by default. Switch this OFF using Tools / Options / Behaviour / Automation)
- When you set the Seen It field to YES, the Viewing Date is automatically set to TODAY.
(Optional, switched OFF by default. Switch this ON using Tools / Options / Behaviour / Automation)
- Synchronise with CLZ Cloud: “Upload new fields first” message was displaying even with a new empty database.
- Print Panel: wasn't always displaying the paper orientation.
- User Defined Fields: Blank field names not allowed anymore.
- User Defined Fields: Autocomplete was not working for some fields.
- User Defined Fields were not properly removed.
- XML Import: Covers were not imported.
- Quick Search: Duplicated items sometimes didn't show.
- Edit Movie screen: now allows incremental search for Checkbox List fields.
- Edit Movie Screen: Edit Episode was remaining visible in the back.
- Edit Movie Screen: Episode changes were not undone after clicking "cancel".
- Details Panel: YouTube trailers: Disabled HTML5 due to performance problems and full screen not working sometimes
Version Cobalt.8 build 4 (released on November 24, 2014) :
- After scanning a barcode, add automatically screen was not displaying the barcodes tab view.
- Statistics: Some bars from the bar statistics were hidden.
- Edit Lists: Next / Previous buttons were not working correctly.
Version Cobalt.8 build 3 (released on November 14, 2014) :
Improved Find Image screen
- More logical layout, with search box top left.
- Better looking thumbnail and preview area.
- New setting "Auto search when screen opens (Yes/No)" in Preferences, that lets you disable the automatic searching each time you open the screen.
- New: Stop searches and preview actions that take too long.
New option for Folder fields
- Seen It (Yes/No)
- In trial mode, the Login screen popped up after every search in the Add Auto screen.
Version Cobalt.8 build 2 (released on November 10, 2014) :
- Crashes when removing movies.
Version Cobalt.8 build 1 (released on November 05, 2014) :
Quick Search feature now searches more fields
- Title Extension
- URLs of all links
New setting for Add Auto screen: Edit After AddMakes the Edit Movie screen open automatically after adding a new movie using the Add Movie Automatically screen.
(only when adding one movie in Direct Search mode, this setting has no effect on Queue Mode)
- When the list panel shows folders, the column header said "DisplayName". Now show the field name of the current folder field.
- Templates: User Defined date fields were not displaying in your configured System Date Format.
Version Cobalt.7 build 3 (released on October 23, 2014) :
Yosemite compatibilityMultiple changes to make Music Collector fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 / Yosemite, including:
- Crash when trying to add a Local Link in the Edit Movie screen.
- Clicking a cover image in the Details Panel didn't work anymore.
- Import from a V3 database was occasionally crashing.
Version Cobalt.7 build 2 (released on October 13, 2014) :
New: Connect / Core / CLZ Cloud 2.0 supportSome changes to prepare for the upcoming 2.0 versions of Connect, the public CLZ Cloud pages and the Core site.
- Downloaded links to our online database now point to the new core.collectorz.com site.
- "My public collection" link in CLZ Cloud Syncing screen now points to the new cloud.collectorz.com site.
- User Defined Fields: Crashes on OS X 10.7 when adding a new field in the Manage UDF screen.
- User Defined Fields: Fields without field name would crash the app when opening the “Manage User Defined Fields” screen or the edit screen.
- CLZ Cloud syncing: crashes when uploading cover images.
- CLZ Cloud syncing: When down syncing, the CLZ MediaID was sometimes incorrectly displayed as a change.
- Templates: Clicking the IMDB logo was not opening the IMDb page.
Version Cobalt.7 build 1 (released on September 22, 2014) :
Improved Edit Lists screen (Tools menu -> Edit Lists)
- New: Quick Search
- Quickly find the list items you want using the new Quick Search box on the top right.
- The list instantly filters as you type, no need to hit the Enter key.
- New: Edit directly in the list screen.
Edit item names and other properties directly in the item list screen, no need to open the Edit screen.
- Use the Edit in List button to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the item list to edit it.
- Blue columns are editable, greyed out columns are not
(for read-only fields like ID and automatically generated values like Sort Name).
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes.
Fixed for the new User Defined Fields system:
- Several performance problems caused by the new UDF system.
- Crashes when closing the Manage UDF screen.
- Manage UDF screen: When editing a date field the date picker would always pop up.
- Edit Multiple would clear Text and Pick List values.
- Edit Multiple would not always save correct values for Checkbox List fields.
- Pressing enter after adding an entry in a UDF check box list would close the edit screen.
- User defined dates weren’t always saved properly.
- Main Screen: sorting on a user defined date field didn't work.
- Using reserved XML characters like ‘<‘ and ‘&’ in user defined values broke the template and the value wasn’t saved.
- Synchronise with CLZ Cloud: program crashes while generating long item lists.
- Main List: horizontal 'rubber-banding’ was causing issues for laptop user's gestures.
- Main List: When using Cmd + R to select a random movie, the same sequences of movies would be selected each time.
- Update Automatically: The same Online Links were re-added to the list every time.
- Main Screen: Statistics: Box Set stats were not displayed.
Version Cobalt.5 build 1 (released on August 28, 2014) :
New: Unlimited User Defined Fields (PRO edition only!)
- Use the new Manage User Defined Field screen (Tools menu) to create your own data fields, of any type, in any order and as many as you want.
- Choose from the following field types:
- Pick List
- Number (whole)
- Number (decimals)
- Checkbox (yes/no)
- Checkbox List
- All fields you define will appear on their own tab in the Edit Movie screen.
- User Defined fields work like any other field. You can:
- Set Default Values.
- Add them as Columns to your main screen lists.
- Use them as Sort field.
- Select Pick List and Multi-Value fields as the Folder field.
- Search them using the Quick Search feature.
- View their data under their own header in the Details Panel template.
- Define your own "Header" name, which is used as the tab name in the Edit screens and as the header in the template.
- Any existing User Defined fields from the old version will automatically be converted into the new version (only fields that actually contain data).
Version Cobalt.4 build 4 (released on August 18, 2014) :
- Occasional crashes when Exporting to CLZ Movies.
- Blockz template: Actor headshot was opened in browser instead of popup.
Version Cobalt.4 build 3 (released on July 28, 2014) :
- Main Menu: Buy > Unlock Software: If the database window was not open, popup did not show up.
- Details: Template were occasionally broken by hidden characters inserted in the text fields
- Import V3 Database was not working anymore.
- Person entries with ID zero could occur in the database, causing problems when Exporting to CLZ Movies.
Version Cobalt.4 build 2 (released on July 14, 2014) :
- Crash when exporting to the CLZ Movies app (with Update option selected).
- Edit Movie screen: annoying sound when typing a new cast or crew name.
Version Cobalt.4 build 1 (released on July 09, 2014) :
New: Full screen mode (on Lion and Mavericks)
- Now supports the Mac OS X standard Full Screen Mode (introduced in OS X Lion).
- To expand to full screen, click the arrows in the top-right corner of the app window.
- To return to standard view, move the pointer to the top-right corner of the screen
until the menu bar appears, and then click the arrows.
Edit Movie: easier adding of Cast and Crew entries
- When entering the name of an actor or crew member (Director, Producer, etc..),
the pick list now filters the list using the letters you typed. (as opposed to jumping to the first matching item).
- This makes the drop down list more useful, as it now only shows a short list of matching items,
instead of tens of thousands of person names in a tiny box.
- On top of that, it avoids having to load the long list of names, making the Edit screen much faster.
- New database structure which will slightly improve the performance of most database actions,
and, more importantly, will make future database conversions much faster and more stable.
- However: this new database structure will cause one last slow conversion for this update,
which may take up to 15 minutes for large databases. Please do not close the software before it completes!
- Edit Movie screen now opens much faster, especially on large databases with many actors and crew members.
Version Cobalt.3 build 5 (released on June 18, 2014) :
- For some users, the previous build was freezing right after starting the program.
- Main screen / Edit In list: Date popups were not displaying the correct date.
Version Cobalt.3 build 4 (released on June 05, 2014) :
- Edit Movie: Possible data corruption problems when clicking “Next” and “Previous” buttons extremely quickly.
- Edit Movie: 'Storage Device’ field was not saving new values when immediately clicking OK afterwards.
- Update File Links: crash when clicking on "Manual".
- Folders tree: Blu-ray 3D icon was missing.
- Sync with CLZ Cloud / “Upload Covers”: Now displays an error when a cover is too big to upload.
- Templates: Trailer videos now play with using the YouTube HTML5 player instead of the Adobe Flash player.
- Templates: Custom User Templates were not working.
Version Cobalt.3 build 3 (released on April 22, 2014) :
- “Field Defaults” screen was not opening.
- “Add/Link Movie Files” screen: "Add Selected Movie Files" and
“Batch Add Checked Movies” buttons were not working for some files.
- Tools > “My CLZ Account”: “Expiration date” wasn’t displaying
- Main screen: “Format” folders Tree:
- Sometimes the incorrect format icon was displayed
- “Ultraviolet" icon was missing
- “Update File Links” screen was occasionally freezing.
Version Cobalt.3 build 2 (released on April 18, 2014) :
- Details Panel: Sometimes movie details weren't displayed because of a template issue.
- Export to CLZ Mobile caused a crash.
Version Cobalt.3 build 1 (released on April 17, 2014) :
- The Format field is now a multi-value checkbox-list field,
allowing you to select multiple formats for movies.
(e.g. select Blu-Ray Disc and DVD for those multi-disc releases
that have multiples version of the same movie in one box.)
- On top of that, you can now also set the Format at the Disc level,
so that you can indicate which disc is the Blu-Ray one and which disc is the DVD.
- Of course, the Cobalt and Metro templates fully support multiple formats,
showing multiple format icons at the top and new format indicators for each disc.
New Cobalt Compact template for Preview panel of Add Movies Automatically screen
- The new Cobalt Compact template has been especially designed for the task at hand:
selecting the correct movie and edition from the search results.
- Clearly showing the identifying movie information near the top (Title, Year, IMDb link, Director, Cast).
- An "edition block" at the top right, with Format, Barcode and edition name.
- Toggle between Front and Back with the "flip" icon that appears when hovering over the cover image.
- Responsive design makes the template usable and good looking, whatever the width of your Preview panel is.
- Available in both Light and Dark styles.
Improved layout of Edit Movie screen
- The fields of the Edition tab has been split into two tabs:
- The Edition tab holds the new multi-value Format box, plus other package and release related fields.
- The new Edition Specs. tab now contains all fields related to the technical properties of the disc, like audio, screen-ratios, subtitles, layers, etc...
- Fixed issues where the program would freeze/crash.
- Add Auto: auto-increment of the Index field wasn’t working correctly.
- Sync with CLZ Cloud: “Download From CLZ Cloud” button was disabled every time a new database was opened
Version Cobalt.2 build 6 (released on March 25, 2014) :
WARNING: OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher REQUIRED!!Starting with this build, Movie Collector is NOT COMPATIBLE with OS X 10.5 (Leopard) anymore.
To run this version, you need OS X 10.6 (Show Leopard) or higher.
- Add Movies Automatically :In some situations, the screen did not open.
- "Report missing movie to Core”: when selecting multiple items, the wrong barcode was reported.
- Main screen: fixed several issues with the layout settings.
- Lookup Items List: URL field for UserLookup1 and UserLookup2 wasn’t working at all.
- Templates: UserLookup1 and UserLookup2 values with a URL filled in will now become links.
- Add/Link files screen: "Existing Series Episodes” table: fixed a display issue.
Version Cobalt.2 build 5 (released on February 24, 2014) :
- Adding Movie Files:
- Occasional crashes when linking movie files to episodes.
- Improved collapsing/expanding of folders.
- "Hide linked files" option was not always working correctly.
- When "Get Title From Filename" was selected, items were not sorted alphabetically but grouped by folders.
- Add Movies Automatically screen: Color vs Black/White values from online db were not used correctly.
- Main Screen: Improved layout for "Confirm Delete" popup.
- Templates: Cobalt Templates displayed "AA " in front of "Studios".
Version Cobalt.2 build 4 (released on January 20, 2014) :
- Edit Screen / Crew list: Roles list did not show customized field names for user defined roles.
- Settings / License : Crash after removing password only.
Version Cobalt.2 build 3 (released on January 07, 2014) :
- Find Cover Image screen would freeze up on some searches.
- Loan Manager: Loaners weren't displayed in the list.
- Loan Manager: "Loan" button wasn't correctly enabled.
- Templates: Seen Where data was not displayed.
Version Cobalt.2 build 2 (released on December 23, 2013) :
- Fixed in Add/Link Movie Files:
- The popup "Item is already existing in the database" was incorrectly showing up when linking to an existing item.
- "Select Existing Movie" window: movies were not correctly sorted (by Title) in the list.
- When switching the "Get Title From:" radio buttons, the "Select All" selection was not preserved.
- Fixed in Link Movies screen:
- Edit Search Criteria popup: "Update" button was unresponsive to keyboard.
- Preview was not always loaded after selection changed.
- The Preview for the first item wasn't automatically loaded when opening the window for the first time.
Version Cobalt.2 build 1 (released on December 18, 2013) :
New: Catalog your digital movie files by scanning folders
- Let Movie Collector scan your harddisk and add the found movie files automatically.
- Then use Update Movies Automatically to download movie information (like cast, crew, plot & cover image) from the Collectorz.com central online movie database.
- Or, link the found movie files to existing movie or episode entries in your movie database.
- Use the Play Movie buttons in the Details Panel (at the movie or episode level),
or the Play button on the toolbar, to start the movie in your favorite movie player program.
Adding and Playing Movie Files:
Adding and Playing Episode Files:
Version Cobalt.1 build 1 (released on December 09, 2013) :
New: Fix broken file paths using the Update File Links feature
- Use Tools / Maintenance / Update File Links to fix the file paths for images and other files.
(e.g. after you have moved files to a different location on your computer or after renaming a folder).
- Choose the File Type on the top right, and the screen will automatically show the missing files.
- Select the file links you want to repair, then choose the Automatic or Manual method of setting the new file path.
- Automatic will search your hard disk for the missing files automatically.
- Manual lets you set the new location manually.
- Finally, click Update to write the new file paths to your database.
New: Move your images from "internal" to external images folder, or vice versaOur software has always let you decide where to store your images:
either inside the database file (internal), or outside of the database file (external), in a specified location on your computer.
This new maintenance command lets you modify this setting afterwards
and move files into the database file, or move them out of the database file.
- Loan Manager: Loaners list was not sorted alphabetically.
Version Cobalt.0 build 4 (released on December 02, 2013) :
- Improved layout of "My CLZ Account" screen, to make it clearer that
one needs to enter CLZ Username and Password, NOT a license key.
- Improved layout of "My CLZ Account" screen, to make it clearer that
- The Format value "Blu-ray Disc" was locally hard-coded with lowercase "r", consequently a new "Blu-Ray Disc" lookup-item was added when using Add Auto for new movies.
- Preferences: after switching between hours and minutes format, not all main table rows were updated (on Snow Leopard).
- Import from XML: Actor images URLs and IMDB URLs were not imported.
Version Cobalt.0 build 3 (released on November 26, 2013) :
- Edit Screen: Submit button was still enabled when in "Edit multiple" mode.
- Add Auto: TV Series only checkbox now defaults to "unchecked" on first install.
- Actor links in templates did not work.
Version Cobalt.0 build 2 (released on November 06, 2013) :
- Edit in List feature now also allows the editing of all Credits type (Director, Producer, etc..)
- Import from XML: Plot wasn't imported.
- Template: Purchase price was displayed incorrectly in the Blockz template.
- Main Screen: Incremental search was not working anymore.
- Problems validating License Keys containing zeroes.
Version Cobalt.0 build 1 (released on October 23, 2013) :
New: Edit directly in the main screen movie listEasily make quick changes to your movie entries, right in the main screen list. No need to open the Edit Movie screen.
- Use the Edit in List button (top right) to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the movie list to edit it.
- Blue columns are editable, greyed out columns are not (for read-only fields like ID, Cast, etc..)
- Directly edit text fields (like Title), choose from a dropdown for picklist fields (like Format), use a checklist for multi-value fields (like Genre) or pick a date from a calendar for date fields.
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes (for instance, movies may move to a different folder when changing Format, Genre, etc...)
New system for License Checks and Check for Updates
- New Software Unlock system
Previously, unlocking the trial edition into the licensed Standard or Pro edition was done by entering a License Name and License Key into the software. Not anymore!
Starting with the Cobalt versions, the only thing you need to do is login to the software with your CLZ Account (if you haven't done so already for cloud syncing). The program will automatically "know" which edition (Standard or Pro) you own.
- New Check for Updates system
Similarly, the new Cobalt versions will use your CLZ Account to give you a smarter Check for Updates system, showing you exactly which updates you are allowed to install with your current Update Plan, also automatically unlocking them after upgrading/updating.
Version 9.0 build 1 (released on April 03, 2013) :
- Movie Collector now syncs custom images up to and down from the CLZ Cloud / Connect.
- Downsync now downloads your custom cover images from the CLZ Cloud.
- Use the "Upload Image" option in the CLZ Cloud menu or right-click menu to force the upload of your own custom cover images.
- More fields are now synced up to and down from the CLZ Cloud:
- Issue Number
- Automatic Actor Images (aka "Actor Heads")
- Automatic Actor Links (to the actor's page on IMDb)
- Automatic Director Images
- Automatic Director Links (to the director's page on IMDb)
These Images and Links are delivered directly and automatically from the
Collectorz.com central online movie database, no special action required.
And yes, you will be able to use Update Movies Automatically to get the
new images and links for the existing movie entries in your database.
We have improved the look of the Images View in the main screen, you know, the one that shows the cover image thumbnails.
It now shows "Virtual Shelves" in multiple shelve styles. Choose from 5 different looks:
- Wood (light)
- Wood (dark)
- Classic (No shelves)
And the beauty is: you don't even need to provide us with the movie data.
Just use Core to *report* the missing entries or data errors, and then our
content admins will do the work for you, adding the missing movies, adding the
missing barcodes and fixing the data errors, within one workday, guaranteed.
- Report missing movies: Can't find your movie using the "Add Auto" screen?
Just click "Report Missing Movie", which will take you to the Core site.
There just enter the movie's IMDb number or IMDb link and you're done.
- Report missing barcodes: Ran into an unrecognized barcode?
Your Add Auto screen will automatically ask you to report it to Core.
On the Core site, just select which movie the barcode belongs to. That's it.
- Report data errors: Encountered a movie with erroneous information?
Hit "Report Data Error", indicate the problem area (choose from Cast, Crew,
Plot, Trailer and Other), and we'll fix the data error for you.
The "Report to Core" commands are available in the Add Automatically screen,
in Edit Movie and from the right mouse-click menus in the main screen.
- Choose which fields will be updated: Front Cover, Back Cover, Backdrop, Movie Poster, Cast, Crew, Cast/Crew images/URLs, Episode List & Trailers.
- For each field, choose from: "Leave as is", "Update empty fields" or "Replace current data".
A word of WARNING: the "Replace current data" does exactly that!
In other words: if you choose Replace, the program will first *remove* your current data or image, then it will *replace* it with the data or image from our central online movie database. So use this with care!
- The "By Title" and "By Barcode" options are now on completely separate tabs.
- "By Barcode" tab now includes integrated support for the CLZ Barry wireless barcode scanner app.
- Settings, Check Connection and Help buttons have been moved to the top right.
- The "Add" buttons are now where they belong: bottom left, under the Search Results.
- New links to directly report missing entries and data errors to Core.
- Set your own image for any list item, e.g. for Formats, Audience Ratings...
- Set a 16x16 image that will appear in the tree and list on main screen.
- Set a larger template image for use in Details View templates.
For example: here's how you could set your own images for the Country list:
- Movie Collector now comes with 125 included pick list images that are
automatically used in the tree, list and Details Panel templates, for the following fields:
- Audience Ratings
- Audio Tracks
- When using CLZ Barry with Movie Collector, you don't need the
"Buddy for Barry" software anymore.
In other words, Buddy is now integrated into Movie Collector.
- Connect with CLZ Barry right from Movie Collector's main toolbar
and from the Add Movies Automatically screen (on the "By Barcode" tab).
- CLZ Barry is available for iPhone, iPad and Android.
Click here for more information about CLZ Barry.
The "Collectorz Blue" look of the toolbar has now been implemented everywhere, resulting in a look that is more consistent and easier on the eye:
several color styles to choose from and some cool new features:
- Large front cover image, that "flips" to show the back cover.
- Full support for Actor/Director images and IMDb URLs.
- Fixed length Cast & Crew lists for a cleaner layout.
Click "Show More" / "Show Less" links to expand/collapse full lists.
- Click Seen It "eye" icon to toggle Seen It between Yes and No.
- Full width embedded YouTube trailer videos.
Vee Nine is based on the Movie Collector Connect look.
It uses a fixed width for the movie details (minimum width 700 pixels),
with the movie backdrop taking up the rest of the space.
The Blockz template has several colored blocks with your data.
Blockz comes in three styles: Collectorz Colors, Backdrop and the easy-on-the-eye Dark style.