What's new in Movie Collector for macOS?
v20.2.2: Two bug fixes
- Find Cover: the crop button was missing
- The “Field Names” screen was empty
v20.2: Now fully Big Sur compatible
We had tested our software on Big Sur betas before the actual Big Sur release and did not find any problems. However, as soon as Big Sure went live, users started reporting crashes in various areas of the program, mainly when syncing and after adding or editing entries.
With the help of these users, and after trying several test builds with them, we have finally resolved all known crashes, which has resulted in today’s v20.2 Big Sur compatible release.
If you are using Big Sur, we strongly recommend updating to this v20.2 version.
Finally, if you still see problems on Big Sur with this new version, please us know, so that we can fix any remaining bugs.
v20.1 Faster CLZ Cloud syncing!
Faster CLZ Cloud syncing!
We have made several structural changes to the CLZ Cloud syncing, making it much much faster than before, especially when syncing large amounts of entries up to the CLZ Cloud or down from the CLZ Cloud.
To enjoy the faster syncing, you need to use the actual Sync with CLZ Cloud screen.
(The Auto-Syncing in the background is also slightly faster now, but if you need to sync many entries up or down, please use the Sync with CLZ Cloud screen.)
- Link to Core: changing the search criteria could crash the program
- Add screen: changed the “already in collection” font color in dark skin to be more readable
- Report missing movie to Core wasn’t working correctly
- Main screen: The “Rating” column could not be moved to a different place
- Improved cover scaling for syncing
v20.0.4 Now syncs through our brand-new CLZ Cloud Sync-server
Now uses our brand-new CLZ Cloud Sync-server
Previously one big server was handling the Connect website, the CLZ Cloud website AND the CLZ Cloud syncing from the desktop programs and the mobile apps.
But this week we have set up a brand-new dedicated Sync-server to handle just the CLZ Cloud syncing.
In today’s update, Movie Collector has been updated to sync through this new server, which should result in faster syncing and a more stable syncing experience during high load times (weekends).
- For some users, the database conversion of version 20.0.3 caused the loss of data in their User Defined Fields. This problem has been resolved now.
If you lost UDF data, please contact us so that we can help you get the data back.
v20.0.3: Custom cover sync problem fixed and more
This update fixes an issue with the sync where it would always re-upload the custom front/back covers if such a movie had any change at all. This resulted in many unneeded re-uploads of custom front/back covers.
Important: After updating to this version:
- the program will run a process to index your custom covers
- all movies with custom front/back covers will re-upload
Both processes might take a while!
- Custom front/back covers were re-uploaded too often
- Quick Search: using arrow buttons and clicking results wasn’t working correctly
v20.0.2: Fixed printing in dark mode
- Printing a list while in dark mode would print a black page
v20: Dark Mode support / New HDR field and many more sync fields
The year “twenty-twenty” is coming up, so here’s Movie Collector v20 for macOS!
In this release we added support for the macOS Dark/Light Mode, a new HDR field and enhanced the CLZ Cloud syncing system with many new fields and back cover images.
v19.3: Now fully macOS Catalina compatible!
As you probably know, macOS Catalina (version 10.15) was released earlier this week.
In Catalina, Apple has made two major changes, that will affect all software that you run on your Mac:
- All programs you use need to be 64-bit. No more support for 32-bit applications!
- All programs you download outside the App Store need to be notarized (=approved) by Apple.
Of course, our Movie Collector software has been a 64-bit application since version 18.1 (April 2018). And this week, we got it approved and notarized by Apple too!
So today, we released Movie Collector 19.3, 64-bit and notarized, so fully Catalina compatible!
- Drag/Drop image would put image in Downloads folder when using “just link to dropped file”
v19.2.4: Drag/Drop images wasn’t working correctly
- Fixed a display issue with shelf-view background
- Fixed an issue with importing an XML file
v19.2.3: Fixed: Drag & drop images from webbrowser
We changed the Add Movies screen so you now see the movie poster if we don’t have a front cover available for you. We also got rid of some bugs today, check it out:
- Drag & drop of images from a webbrowser was broken
- Drag & drop of images from a webbrowser was broken
- Grouping on “My Rating” didn’t work sometimes
- Some year entries weren’t set correctly
- Removing entries from the Link screen was not possible with keyboard
- Edit in List behaviour modified for dropdown field types
- Add Episode: When you click “Next”, the episode title is now selected so you can quickly enter a title.
- Add Box Set by barcode: when searching for 1 single barcode, you can now add it correctly as multiple movies, or one single entry using the two add buttons.
v19.2.2: Fixed CLZ Barry barcode scanning
A couple of fixes for Movie Collector Mac today with squashed bugs that you reported to us:
- Add Screen: Searching an IMDb URL or Title gave invalid XML if they contained “&” in them
- Add Screen: Barcode scanning with CLZ Barry or CueCat didn’t work
- Link with CLZ Core screen didn’t find any results
- Editing the personal rating in the template and edit screens missed the star images
- Templates stopped working if an “&” was in some of the fields
v19.2 Add Movies by IMDb Nr / New icons for digital formats
We’re on a roll! Here’s yet another BIG update of your Movie Collector for Mac software, with 3 important additions!
- Add Movies straight from IMDb, using the IMDb Number or URL
- Now get “official” IMDb Cast and Crew lists for ALL movies in our Core
- Also, new support for 12 digital movie formats, complete with icons and logos
1. Add Movies by IMDb Number or URL
More goodies made possible by our agreement with IMDb! Introduced today, a new “IMDb” tab in the Add Movies screen for finding and adding movies straight from their IMDb Nr or URL.
Can’t find a movie in our Core? But it is on IMDb?
Then just find the movie on IMDb and copy either the IMDb Nr or the entire UMDb URL. Then go to the new IMDb tab and paste the Nr or URL into the search box, and click Search.
The movie entry will then be retrieved from IMDb automatically AND added to our Core, so that you can then immediately Add it to your database!
(Don’t worry, if it turns out the movie WAS already in our Core, it will automatically just return the existing entry, it will never cause duplicate entries in our Core.)
IMPORTANT: this new Add by IMDb feature always requires an active Service Plan!
Search by IMDb Nr:
Or just paste in the complete IMDB URL of the movie:
2. Official IMDb Cast and Crew list for all movies
Starting with this version, the Movie Collector software now downloads the “official” cast and crew from IMDb, that is the top 25 actors and the full list of Producers, Directors, Writers, Photography and Musicians.
Also, the cast list now comes with IMDb links for ALL cast members!
TIP 1: set the Max Actors / Crew members to 25
- Go to menu “Movie Collector > Preferences”.
- Click on “Data and Images” and select “Download settings for data and images”
- Change both the amount of Actors and Crew members to 25
TIP 2: Set Update from Core settings for Cast and Crew to “REPLACE”
If you wish to update your existing movie entries with the maximum amount of cast/crew entries:
- First, go to the same screen as above and under “Update from CLZ Core”, next to “Cast” and “Crew” set the dropdown to “REPLACE”.
- Then select the movies you want to update, right click, then choose Update from Core.
( After updating, make sure to set setting back to “Update empty fields only”. )
3. New options and icons for digital movie formats
With digital movie formats becoming more popular, we have decided to add the most popular ones to the Format list, all with nice new icons and logos.
Now available as new Format choices:
- Amazon Prime Video
- Apple iTunes
- Google Play
- Microsoft Movies & TV
- Playstation Video
- Movies Anywhere
v19.1.3: Fixed display and export issues
Because the version we released yesterday was built with a new Xcode, the program automatically supported Mojave’s “Dark Mode”. Unfortunately, we all run “Light Mode” here, and we didn’t see that the program looked completely wrong in Dark Mode!
We do plan to support Dark Mode on Mojave, but this is a different project and will be addressed later this year.
- Mojave’s Dark Mode made the program look bad so we switched the program to light mode for now.
- Export to XML, Text, and other export functions were broken
- Images Shelves styles were broken.
v19.1.2: Improvements to trial mode experience
Trial Mode improvements:
- Bigger “+” button on the default toolbar.
- Improved “My CLZ Account” messaging when logging in with a CLZ Account.
- New hints to Sync with CLZ Cloud after adding some items.
- Removed the ugly blue “hint box” that appeared when starting with an empty database.
Only supports macOS 10.9 or higher
This is the first version to not support macOS 10.8 Mountain Lion anymore.
To stay current with Apple we’ve just updated to Xcode (the software used to create Movie Collector for macOS). In order to do this we had to drop support for macOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) from 2012 as Apple doesn’t support it anymore in Xcode.
If you still use macOS 10.8, make sure to not upgrade Movie Collector to this version.
- Auto-mark custom images didn’t flag items as “dirty” for the sync.
- Drag and drop image on Details Panel to change the front cover was broken.
- Index number sometimes didn’t increment correctly.
- Changing order of movies in a box set could crash the program.
v19.1: Update your IMDb Ratings / Votes in one go!
The Movie Collector v19 release was just 6 weeks ago, but I have another big update for you now. Depending on how much of an IMDb junkie you are, today’s v19.1 update may even be a bigger deal than v19 itself 🙂
What’s new in Movie Collector v19.1
As you probably know, we have signed a more comprehensive (and also much more expensive) content licensing agreement with IMDb, which gives us access to more and fresher IMDb data.
Today we’ve released the first new features made possible by this new agreement!
New: IMDb Votes field
This new field indicates the number of votes on which the IMDb Rating is based. It is a good indication of 1. how popular the movie is and 2. how trustworthy the rating is.
- The IMDb Votes field is automatically filled in when you Add a Movie from Core. (Note: similar to IMDb Ratings and Links, getting IMDb Votes from Core requires an active Service Plan)
- It is also shown in the yellow IMDb box in your movie details panel, right below the logo and rating (for the Flex, QuickSilver and Carbon templates).
- Tip: add the IMDb Votes as a column in your list, so that easily see for all your movies or even sort on it to order your list by the movie’s popularity.
New: Update your IMDb Ratings and Votes in one go
The new IMDb content license gives us daily updates of the IMDb Ratings and Votes, so let’s make use of that daily fresh data now!
- Select some (or all) movies in your list, then right click and choose Update IMDb Ratings / Votes from the menu.
- This will connect to our Core and retrieve fresh IMDb Ratings and Votes for all selected movies.
- Don’t worry, this won’t take long. We have implemented a super efficient system that can update ratings/votes in chunks of 100 movies in one go.
- When done, it will report the number of movies it has updated the Ratings and Votes for.
- Note: using the “Update IMDb Ratings/Votes” feature requires an active Service Plan.
- Renamed format “Blu-ray Disc” to “Blu-ray”
- Renamed format “Ultra HD Blu-ray” to “4K UHD”
- Updated the format icon for 4K UHD
v19.0.2: Some updates for multiple collections
- You can now add the field “Custom Image” as a column to your list.
- Multiple Collections:
- Importing XML would always import into the “first collection” instead of the selected collection.
- Importing XML could cause a crash.
- There were some issues with the order of multiple collections.
- A couple of Flex template fixes.
- The details template was always reset to Flex.
- “Custom Image” checkbox wasn’t checked when using Find Cover via Main Screen.
v19.0: multiple collections, auto-sync images and a new Flex template!
Movie Collector version 19 has arrived! Here’s what’s new:
- Manage multiple “collections” within one database file
- Automatic Cloud-syncing of your own “custom” images
- Add Box Sets as a single database entry
- A new super-adaptive “Flex” template for the Details Panel
- IMDb features are back!
Read on for the full details:
v18.3.7: No more IMDb Ratings and IMDb links
Pending our discussion with IMDb, it was necessary to update Movie Collector for Mac with the following changes:
- The program does not download/update IMDb Ratings or IMDb links anymore.
- All occurrences of the “IMDb” name and logo have been removed.
We hope to reach an agreement with IMDb soon, so that we can re-enable the above features.
Our apologies for the inconvenience.
v18.3.6: Now fully macOS Mojave compatible!
Some of you reported some issues in the Edit Screens in Movie Collector using macOS Mojave, which have now been addressed and fixed!
- Searching for a actor or crew wasn’t working (dropdown wasn’t opening to show all options)
- The dropdown to choose a role for a crew member wasn’t working
- Dragging and dropping of images on the template or edit screen didn’t do anything
v18.3.5: Fixed Update from Core for movies
- Update from Core for movies wasn’t downloading new details
v18.3.4: Update from Core now downloads box set covers too
Update from Core for movies that are part of a box set now also downloads a front cover if it’s missing (and we have it in the online database).
- Update from Core now also downloads front covers for box sets
- Added Date now syncs with CLZ Cloud
- After adding by Title or by Barcode you couldn’t edit the price fields for your newly added movie
- Add Screen: “Report missing movie” is now available from the right click menu
v18.3.3: Fixed Add Movies screen for older macOS versions
On older macOS versions (10.7, 10.8 and 10.9) the Add Movies screen popup and the Manage Pick Lists screen weren’t working. We fixed that in this maintenance build (but if you can, we do recommend updating to the latest macOS 🙂 ).
v18.3.2: Fix for the Price fields and box set template
Small maintenance build for Movie Collector today, the price fields in the Edit Movie screen weren’t working correctly and clicking through to another movie in a box set was broken in some cases. All fixed now!
- Price fields weren’t working correctly
- Clicking through to another movie inside a box set wasn’t working in images, coverflow and cards view
v18.3.1: New: Automatically add multi-movie box-sets
New: Automatically add multi-movie box sets:
During 2017, our content managers worked for months to enhance our Core online movie database with movie list information for thousands of multi-movie box sets.
As of today, Movie Collector for macOS can use this new Core data: Just use the enhanced Add Movies screen to find a box set, either by title or by barcode, and our Core “knows” which movies are in the box.
See it in action:
Find and add box sets by barcode
Scan a box-set barcode and Core will show you which movies it contains. Click “Add movie” at the bottom right and all contained movies will be added to your database, automatically linked by a box set entry.
Find and add box sets by title
Alternatively, use the Title tab and enable the new Box Set search to find box sets by their title.
Note: the new Movies, TV Series and Box Sets switches now let you search each of these three Core section separately OR combined.
AND: The switches also operate on the Search-As-You-Type suggestions, for even quicker searching and adding!
New box set panel on movie details page, with movie list!
A nice new box set panel at the top of the movie details for each of the contained movies. Now showing the list of the contained movies, in the correct order, AND with clickable links to go straight to the other movies in the set!
Change the order of movies in a box set
At the bottom of the list of movies you will find a link to “change order of movies…” to modify the order in which the movies are displayed in the details page.
New in the Add Movies from CLZ Core screen:
The Add Movies Automatically screen is now called “Add Movies from CLZ Core” and it includes quite a few improvements to make it both easier-to-use and easier-on-the-eye:
- Big blue buttons for the main actions, Searching and Adding, can’t miss ’em 🙂
- Checkboxes to turn on Movies, TV Series and/or Box Set searching
- Automatic Preview, just select a result (no more need for double clicking)
- Use the popup in the “Add” button to change it to add to “Collection” or “Wish List”
New: Movies vs TV Series
You can find a new “Is TV Series” checkbox in your Edit Movie screen. If you folder on this field you will get a “Yes” and “No” folder, so you can quickly split your collection into TV Series and Movies!
Click the folder dropdown to select or create your “Is TV Series” setting:
v18.2.1: Secure HTTPS connections / more sync fields
A BIG update for your Movie Collector software today, with two important changes:
1. Secure HTTPS connections, for your security and privacy
As indicated in our recent GDPR email, we are updating our software and services, to be more secure and to better protect your privacy.
Starting with version 18.2, Movie Collector now uses secure HTTPS connections for all communications with our servers:
- for logging in with your username and password
- for syncing your data with CLZ Cloud
- for sending your searches to Core.
To make this possible, we have created new secure “entry points” on our servers, that are only allowing secure HTTPS connections. The new Movie Collector software only communicates with those secure entry points.
For your privacy and security, we strongly recommend updating to version 18.2.
2. More sync fields
Last week, our CLZ Cloud (and Movie Connect) has been updated with 9 more fields and loan information. Today’s version 18.2 now supports the syncing of all these new fields and your loan information to and from the CLZ Cloud!
Added for syncing:
- Full Release Date (previously, only the year was synced)
- IMDb Number
- IMDb Rating
- Audience Rating
- Box Set
Heads up: after updating to version 18.2, the software will automatically mark most of your movies as “changed”, to force the upload of your data for the new fields to the CLZ Cloud.
BTW: Updates for the CLZ Movies mobile apps are coming up soon, so that you can fully sync the above new fields from desktop to mobile and vice versa.
- Preferences: Ignore Sort Title Setting was ignored
- Add Movies Files: Batch add checked for movie files was not working