One of the main features of Music Collector is that it automatically gives you full album details and cover images for the albums in your collection.
And all those are provided by our own central online album database called: “Core for Albums”.
When you first try to add an album you will receive a warning that you are using the ‘Example’ database, it’s up to you how you proceed: You can try adding albums to the example collection to get a feel for how everything works, or you can get started immediately by creating your own database.
Creating Your Database
To get started with cataloging your Album Collection you’ll need to create your own database.
- Click File > New Database
- Save your database by clicking: File > Save Database
- Name your database, select a destination then click Save
Make sure you remember where you’re saving your database.
Adding Albums Automatically
Adding albums is done by searching that central online database, either By CDID, By Artist/Title By Barcode or By Catalog Number then adding the results to your own local database.
Both methods are located in the Add Albums Automatically screen. To open it, click the left-most button on the toolbar:
Here you have the Add Albums Automatically screen. This enables you to search our online album database and download detailed information to your own personal database.
The recommended way to add CDs to your Music Collector database, is to add them by CD-ID, that is, by inserting the actual disc into your computer.
Just insert the CD, click the Scan button, then click the Search button.
The CD-ID is a unique identifier for your CD, so searching by CD-ID will immediately give you the correct CD and the correct edition that you own.
After searching, just select the CD from the result (only 1 in most cases), then click the Add button on the bottom right.
To search for an album:
- Type the artist/title’s title in the artist/title box field
- Click Search Now on the right or press enter on your keyboard to start the search
- Music Collector will search our database for appropriate matches.
Now you have two options:
- You can just select the correct album entry and click the Add button. This will give you full album details (musicians, label, genre, format, etc…), plus a “generic” cover image, what we call the “default” album cover.
- Alternatively, you can “expand” the album entry to make the program show all different CDs and Vinyls editions we have listed for that particular album. This way you can select the specific edition that you own, with the specific CDs and Vinyls cover that you own (if we indeed have your CDs and Vinyls edition).
The 2nd way to search our online database is by Barcode. The big advantage of searching by Barcode is that it will immediately give you the correct album and the correct CDs and Vinyls edition. No need to wade through a long list of search results.
If you own a lot of CDs and/or Vinyls, then consider getting our “CLZ Barry.” barcode scanner app (available for iOS and Android).
Here’s how to add by barcode:
- Scan or type in the Barcode (if you type it in, you must hit Search Now)
- Click Add Selected
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.