Back to the top on Android

About the CLZ mobile apps for iOS and Android.
User avatar
Ginger
Posts: 1193
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:56 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Back to the top on Android

Post by Ginger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi guys

Having played with the app for a day now, the only thing that I find a little irritating is the list returning to the top after viewing a comic series.

For example, if I open the app and view my series, they're in numerical then alphabetical order. I scroll down to Teen Titans and click on it which opens up the series. I then scroll through those and find an issue I want to look at - let's say it's #50. Once done, I hit back on my phone and am taken back to the issue list which is still around #50. Hitting back again, I return to the list of series but instead of being around Teen Titans, I'm thrown right back to the top of the list.

Even with the fast, smooth scrolling, getting back to the T's is a pain when I've got 775 series in the list!

Still a damn cool app, though!

Cheers.
Crisis on Earth Prime - my blog and annotations of DC's events

User avatar
Pim Duin
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:05 am

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by Pim Duin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:20 am

Hi Ginger,
Ginger wrote: I'm thrown right back to the top of the list.
This indeed is not desirable behaviour. I'll fix in in the next version of CLZ Comics. Thanks for reporting (again :D).

User avatar
Ginger
Posts: 1193
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:56 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by Ginger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:31 am

Pim Duin wrote:Hi Ginger,
Ginger wrote: I'm thrown right back to the top of the list.
This indeed is not desirable behaviour. I'll fix in in the next version of CLZ Comics. Thanks for reporting (again :D).
Cool! Any idea on how long till the next release?
Crisis on Earth Prime - my blog and annotations of DC's events

TheCaptain03
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by TheCaptain03 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:04 am

Any idea when this issue will be fixed? I asked Alwin via facebook several weeks back and was told there was a possible update coming soon. Several of the guys at my local comic shop and I have comic collectorz + clz comics for droid and we all love the programs, especially clz for conventions. The only complaint that ever comes up is the "jumping back to the top of the list" issue when returning to the series list from the issue list. When checking a group of similar titles like Spidey or the X-books its frustrating to press back and jumping back up to the A's instead of staying in the same area you were looking in. Otherwise again we love the programs, just cant wait til this one issue is fixed! Maybe before HeroesCon in June? :wink:

User avatar
AJMouse
Posts: 4636
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:02 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by AJMouse » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:12 am

I'm not sure about the next release date for the next Android update, but I hope before June shouldn't be too much of an issue (Pim is working very hard on Comic Collector for Mac now at the same time :o)
Image Image Image

TheCaptain03
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by TheCaptain03 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Just wanted to check and see what's the hold-up on the next Android update with bug fixes? I know things are busy with the Barry app and all, but I'm sure the back to the top bug (and probably more) could be fixed in a couple days if you would just put someone on the task. Iphone CLZ users don't have this bug, so why do we still have to put up with it on Android?

I asked last in April and was told that an update by June shouldn't be too much of an issue. Well HeroesCon came and went, and all of the Android CLZ users from my comic shop said they gave up on the app within the first hour of the show. I just want to reiterate that unless you are ONLY looking at titles at the top of the alphabet, the app is virtually broken! Please consider taking a small amount of time in the very near future to fix this issue, I know it would make myself and the rest of the Android CLZ users VERY VERY happy! Thanks!

User avatar
Alwin Hoogerdijk
Collectorz.com
Posts: 18297
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:07 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by Alwin Hoogerdijk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:51 am

Sorry, still working on the Android edition of Barry.
After that we may do some quick maintenance builds of the other mobile apps, but then again, there are 15 of em, so "a couple of days" is a bit optimistic.
Alwin Hoogerdijk
President, Collectorz.com

User avatar
cburnham
Posts: 6549
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:38 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by cburnham » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Alwin Hoogerdijk wrote:After that we may do some quick maintenance builds of the other mobile apps, but then again, there are 15 of em, so "a couple of days" is a bit optimistic.
You need an army of new devs. :)
Regards,
Chris Burnham

TheCaptain03
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by TheCaptain03 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:55 pm

I understand wanting to push out the new apps, it's a business and there is money to be made. I don't fault that at all!

However, your previous comment comes off as condescending and unprofessional. Not only have I purchased several of your products myself, but I also frequently recommend you to the customers at our local comic shop. I very much support you guys and love the apps, programs, and scanner that I have purchased. I do not appreciate being casually dismissed about a legitimate concern. This has been a known issue since December of last year (8 months) for ONE mobile app on ONE platform. This is obviously not an issue with all 15 of your mobile apps. As we are both aware, your maintenance builds are not developed, held and released in comprehensive batches. They are released as issues arise with a specific app and platform. And let's be realistic, fixing the "back to the top" bug hardly warrants rewriting the entire code for CLZ comics on Android. Other platforms for this same app do not share this bug. That is the mindset from which I suggested " a couple of days" would be enough to fix this particular bug.

If possible, I'd really appreciate a genuine answer about the status of this bug fix? Could it possibly be quickly addressed after Barry's release before moving on to more long-term projects?

User avatar
Alwin Hoogerdijk
Collectorz.com
Posts: 18297
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:07 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by Alwin Hoogerdijk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:21 am

TheCaptain03 wrote:However, your previous comment comes off as condescending and unprofessional.
Huh? I said:

"Sorry, still working on the Android edition of Barry.
After that we may do some quick maintenance builds of the other mobile apps, but then again, there are 15 of em, so "a couple of days" is a bit optimistic."

Now please explain to me how that is condescending and unprofessional?
This IS a genuine answer about the status.
TheCaptain03 wrote:I do not appreciate being casually dismissed about a legitimate concern.
Again, I don't see where you were "casually dismissed". You asked what the hold-up was. And I answered explaining the hold-up (Barry for Android) and why a couple of days won't do the trick (because we have 15 mobile apps waiting for similar maintenance builds).
TheCaptain03 wrote:IThis has been a known issue since December of last year (8 months) for ONE mobile app on ONE platform. This is obviously not an issue with all 15 of your mobile apps.
I don't see why not. My guess is that this issue occurs in all 5 Android apps. Don't see why this is a CLZ Comics specific issue.
TheCaptain03 wrote:As we are both aware, your maintenance builds are not developed, held and released in comprehensive batches. They are released as issues arise with a specific app and platform. And let's be realistic, fixing the "back to the top" bug hardly warrants rewriting the entire code for CLZ comics on Android. Other platforms for this same app do not share this bug. That is the mindset from which I suggested " a couple of days" would be enough to fix this particular bug.
Of course the fixing itself of this particular bug may only take a short time.

But if we release a new build for CLZ Comics we also want to:
- fix other small issues that other users have reported
- fix the same issues in the other apps
- fix other issues in the other apps
- test the 5 new builds thoroughly
- make 5 stable final builds
- submit 5 apps to the Android market with nicely updated What's New lists and descriptions
- Announce the new build to the world, on Facebook, Twitter, the forum, by email

All in all, doing a PROFESSIONAL software release for 5 mobile apps takes at least a week, probably longer.
TheCaptain03 wrote:Could it possibly be quickly addressed after Barry's release before moving on to more long-term projects?
Yes, that is the plan. But still, I can't guarantee we'll start with maintenance builds for the Android apps. Some iPad users are screaming for an update of CLZ Books HD. And a lot of Movie Collector 8 users are yelling for an update of CLZ Movies (for all 3 platforms).
And yes, some CLZ Comics for Android users are waiting to have this annoying "back to top" behaviour fixed.

It's up to us to determine the priorities and the order in which we tackle these builds ...

I'd love to have that army of new devs... but paying them from the profits of mobile apps (especially Android apps) is going to be a problem :-)
Alwin Hoogerdijk
President, Collectorz.com

TheCaptain03
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by TheCaptain03 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:46 am

The first reply just mentioned that you were busy with Barry (which I already knew, per my first post) and that afterwards you *may* get around to fixing it. After 8 months of waiting and asking for a fix, I just wanted a better answer than that. Maybe that is why you came across as dismissive to me. Anyways, misunderstandings do happen..

Thanks for that second post though! I understand now that "15 of em" meant planned maintenance builds, not just the total number of mobile apps which may get new builds. This answered my question perfectly. This topic comes up EVERY WEEK at our comic shop (all of us use android phones), so I will be able to let everyone know that a fix is in the works sometime after Barry is released. Hopefully we can see it fixed sooner than later. Thanks again for the update. :)

User avatar
cburnham
Posts: 6549
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:38 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by cburnham » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:29 am

TheCaptain03 wrote:This topic comes up EVERY WEEK at our comic shop (all of us use android phones), so I will be able to let everyone know that a fix is in the works sometime after Barry is released. Hopefully we can see it fixed sooner than later.
If any of your friends are Android devs and willing to work for pennies, tell them to contact Alwin and maybe you can get your update sooner!! ;)
Regards,
Chris Burnham

User avatar
Alwin Hoogerdijk
Collectorz.com
Posts: 18297
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:07 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by Alwin Hoogerdijk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:30 pm

cburnham wrote:If any of your friends are Android devs and willing to work for pennies, tell them to contact Alwin and maybe you can get your update sooner!! ;)
Now there's an idea. But they will have to move to Appsterdam too!
Alwin Hoogerdijk
President, Collectorz.com

User avatar
Dougy
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:13 am
Location: Hanging out with the Dream King

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by Dougy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 am

Alwin Hoogerdijk wrote: I'd love to have that army of new devs... but paying them from the profits of mobile apps (especially Android apps) is going to be a problem :-)
So, am I right in taking from this that you don't sell heaps of Android apps and therefore Android is not a priority? If so, that's a shame, as I'm really looking forward to getting the CLZ Comics app when the bugs are ironed out.

User avatar
Alwin Hoogerdijk
Collectorz.com
Posts: 18297
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:07 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Back to the top on Android

Post by Alwin Hoogerdijk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:29 am

Dougy wrote:So, am I right in taking from this that you don't sell heaps of Android apps and therefore Android is not a priority?
No, the same holds for iOS.
I am saying that it is hard to justify development costs, if you have to win them back by selling ridiculously low-priced mobile apps.
I mean, asking $50 for a piece of Windows or Mac software is no problem at all, but charge $10 for a mobile app and a lot of users are very upset.
And even with that $10 price point, 30% is going to Apple/Google...
Alwin Hoogerdijk
President, Collectorz.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests