What's new in CLZ Music for Android?
Another big update for your CLZ Music app, in which we introduce a new view for your music collection. But there’s more:
- New “Card View”
- Selecting albums now also possible in Card View and Images View
- Floating “Add Albums” button (the big blue “+”) now auto-hides
- Picking a suggestion from the Quick Search would sometimes show the previous shown album
- Box Sets without covers wouldn’t show up in the details panel
- Templates: Tapping the cover to zoom in on it often caused the cover to flip to the back cover
- Adding: Adding an item to a different collection status could cause Pre-fill fields to clear in the existing entry
Initially, when we created the mobile apps, we deliberately decided to leave out the back cover images, for performance, storage and bandwidth reasons. But with today’s fast internet speeds and fast devices with large storage.. it is time to change our minds!
In this update, no new features, just a nice improvement that makes existing functionality a bit better.
All actions in the app that can take a bit longer are now showing a nice progress bar!
This gives you some idea how long the action will take.
Also, the new Cancel button lets you stop actions, e.g. if you see it will take too long to do at this time.
The new progress bars are now shown when:
- Adding multiple albums
- Editing multiple albums
- Removing multiple albums
- Updating from Core
One of the most popular features we added to the CLZ Music app in the past few years is the Pre-fill screen. You know, the screen that pops up when adding new albums from Core and lets you “pre-fill” some fields for the new additions, right there and then. Without having to go back and edit the entries afterwards. A big time-saver for most users.
The set of fields that is available on the Pre-fill screen has always been fixed, limited to Location, Owner, Purchase Date/Store/Price, Quantity and Tags.
However, after the release of this feature, we instantly started getting requests for more fields to be added to the Pre-fill screen. Which makes sense, I mean, if you always fill in a field that is not on the Pre-fill screen, you would have to “edit after adding” anyway, rendering the entire Pre-fill screen useless…
So today we are taking the Pre-fill feature to the next level by making the screen completely user-configurable. That is, to allow you to choose your own Pre-fill fields!
And while we were at it, we made some other related improvements. Here’s what’s new in version 7.1:
- User-configurable Pre-fill screen: choose your own fields
- Pre-fill: new for Purchase Date: Use “Today”
- The Pre-fill screen is now also used to set field defaults
- New sorting and folder options
A huge 7.0 update for your CLZ Music app is now available, with new features and lots of improvements to existing functionality. All in one go and all based on your feedback!
New in version 7 today:
- Use barcode scanner to search your own database
- New Collection Status: Sold
- New Collection Status icons and colors
- Improved Add Albums screen: enlarge thumbs, new beeps, num pad for barcode entry
- New Favorites section in Manage Pick List screen
- Other small tweaks
Main screen lists now fully support system font sizes, that is, the list rows now automatically become bigger/higher if you have set your device to a larger font size. (previously, some information would be cropped)
Now available in the Play Store, version 6.6 for CLZ Music. In this update, we finally bring the Submit to Core feature to the mobile app, so that you can help improve the Core online CD database, by submitting your corrections.
Also new in this update: Select Mode is now easier to activate and the Action menu has a new look.
- Syncing of box sets without a box set cover could cause a crash
Just 2 weeks after the last major update, we’re back with another big 6.5 update, bringing 4 new features in one go!
- a new “Duplicate Album” tool, for making a full copy an existing album in your database
- a new “Clear Cloud” button in the Sync screen, for resetting your CLZ Cloud
- a new “Shake to Shuffle” feature, for selecting a random album
- choose the currency symbol for displaying prices and values
- Box Set cover: tapping for large version did not work
- Album details page: Disc/Header times were incorrect
This may be the biggest CLZ Music update ever, with LOTS of new album fields being added in one go!
Musicians, Credits, Headers in track lists, Composition, Chorus, web-site links, etc..!
Here’s an overview of all the new fields:
Instead of adding more new features, we decided to take a few weeks to work on the look and feel of the app.
In this 6.3 update, we improved the look and layout of the album list and of the album details pages, in both the main screen and the Add screen preview.
On top of that, we finally acted upon a common request from our users: you can now change the size of the thumbnails in the Images View!
A big update for your CLZ app today. Instead of bringing one big new feature, we decided to work on multiple areas that could be improved, all of them based on the feedback we received from you all. Thanks for that!
Collection Status filter
The 2nd button from the top right (next to the search button) is the Collection Status filter. Previously, it allowed you to filter by All, Collection or Wish List, but with this update, we added all collection status option there as filters, including On order and For Sale.
Also, the button will now be highlighted in yellow when a filter is active, that is, when it is set to anything other than “All”.
Re-designed toolbars at the top
The toolbars at the top have been re-designed, mainly to make the interactive elements stand out more as actual “buttons”.
(Especially the folder icon on the left was something that was often overlooked as something you could tap on. Hopefully this re-design will help to let more users find the most powerful feature of the app 🙂 )
New sort and display options in Settings
For Artists and Composers:
- Ignore Sort Names when sorting by Artists and Composers.
- Show Sort Names instead of display names for Artists and Composers
- Ignore Sort Titles when sorting by Title
- Show Sort Titles instead of Titles
Improved Statistics screen
The Statistics screen has been updated with:
- More database totals at the top (nr of discs, purchase price, current value)
- An extra chart that shows Albums by Year
- A new: “tap to show all” option to enlarge charts and see ALL entries
- Add Screen: Genres weren’t downloading
- Add Screen: By Barcode: Multi-disc albums could sometimes be added as single entries
- Add Screen: Scrolling through results could be slow
- Edit Multiple: Fixed a rare crash
- Manage Pick List: a pick list item could appear twice when merging
- After adding an album the app could crash or return to the main screen without adding the album
A big update for your CLZ Music app!
This time we added a new feature, that will save you lots of time:
New Pre-fill screen that pops up when adding albums
When adding an album to your database using the Add Albums screen, it will now pop-up a new screen called “Pre-fill album details, letting you set various fields right then and there.
Fields available in the Pre-fill screen:
- Purchase Date
- Purchase Store
- Purchase Price
No more need to edit your added albums afterwards!
(BTW: of course, using the new Pre-fill screen is optional. If you don’t want to use it, just uncheck the “Show Pre-fill screen” toggle at thet bottom. You can always re-enable it through the app’s Settings screen.)
- All Collection Status options are now available under the Add button in the Add Screen.
- New look and layout of Field Defaults screen.
- Add album manually: crash when the ‘+’ button was pushed.
- Template: removed dollar currency symbol from ‘current value’ and ‘purchase price’ fields.
Here it is, version 6.0 of the CLZ Music mobile app!
In this major update, we finally bring you THE most requested feature: being able to Edit Multiple Albums in one go. But there’s more, as we took this opportunity to completely re-design the Edit Album screen and to implement super useful Crop and Rotate tools for album cover images.
Here’s the full list of what’s new in version 6.0:
NEW: Edit Multiple Albums in one go!
Finally make changes to multiple (or all) album entries in one go.
- Tap and hold on an album in the list to enter Select Mode
- Now tap more albums to select them.
- Tap the menu button on the bottom right and choose “Edit [x] Albums”.
- In the screen tap appears, select which fields you want to edit.
(Tips: use the search box to find fields, tap the heart icons to set Favorite fields)
- Tap Edit at the top right.
- Now set values, or leave fields gray to clear them.
- Tap Done at the top right to save the changes to the selected albums.
Warning: the Edit Multiple feature is a very useful and powerful features, but… remember what Uncle Ben said: With great power comes great responsibility!
IMPROVED: Edit Album screen
A new look for all edit boxes and a more compact layout, making it much easier to edit your album entries, without scrolling through long lists of fields.
- The cover image is now on its own tab, so the main tab starts with the most important edit fields at the top.
- Fields are now laid out side-by-side, making it easier to edit all fields without endless scrolling.
- More compact look and user interface for all text edit fields.
- More compact display and editing of multi-value pick list fields like Authors, Genres, Subjects and Tags.
- Date fields: enter year, month day manually or use calendar icon to use date setter popup.
NEW: Built-in Crop and Rotate tool for cover images
In the Edit Album screen the Cover is now on its own tab, with new Crop and Rotate tools for instant rotating and cropping of self-made cover photos or downloaded images.
IMPROVED: Folder Field selection screen
Yep, another update of this screen, to make it fully consistent with the Select Edit Fields screen.
It now includes a search box at the top for quickly finding the field you want, plus the ability to create your own Favorites (just tap the heart icons).
Version 6.0 is coming up for all five CLZ mobile apps:
CLZ Books, CLZ Music, CLZ Movies, CLZ Comics and CLZ Games (probably in that order).
For “Vee Six” we decided to finally implement THE most commonly requested feature:
Editing Multiple entries in one go! (aka: Batch Editing)
At the same time, v6 will come with completely re-designed Edit screens. Check out some sneak preview screenshot below. More information about app-specific v6 features and improvements will follow later!
Finally: Edit Multiple entries in one go!
This has been the most common feature request for many years: How can I edit (or clear) the Grade/Location/Owner/etc… for many of my database entries in one go?
And in v6, it will finally be possible:
- Just select the entries you want to edit (using tap and hold), and choose Edit from the menu.
- Then select which fields you want to edit (or clear).
- Finally, set the values you want to set and click Done.
(These screenshots have been taken from the iOS edition of CLZ Comics, but the other 9 apps will look very similar):
Edit screen re-design
Also new in v6: completely re-designed Edit screens, to make them clearer, more compact and nicer looking.
No more long lists of fields, one per row. In the new screen, fields are placed side by side where possible, with the Cover on a separate tab. Resulting in a more compact screen, requiring less scrolling. Especially on tablet devices!
Some sneak preview screenshots:
(These screenshots have been taken from the iOS editions of CLZ Books and CLZ Music, but the other 8 apps will look very similar):
One of the most common complaints about the CLZ Music app has always been the lack of support for multi-disc albums. So we finally sat down and designed a good user interface to fix these problems once and for all.
The solution we implemented has two parts:
Add Albums screen: Add as Multi-Disc Album
This lets you add your new multi-disc albums the right way, straight from the Add Albums screen. Just select multiple 1-disc results and add them combined into a multi-disc album.
Merge existing albums into a Multi-Disc Album
This is for existing entries in our app, where the discs of a multi-disc album may be listed as separate albums. You can now combine/merge these into one album with multiple discs. Just tap and hold to select the albums, then select MERGE from the menu button.
Redesigned Select Folder Field screen
Through the years, the number of available folder fields has grown enormously, making the Select Folder Field screen a bit “unwieldy”. We decided to come up with a better solution.
This update includes a re-designed Select Folder Field screen, with all folder options nicely grouped under sensible headers, and the most popular options (Artist, Genre, Format) instantly accessible at the top.
- In the Add from Core screen, when adding an album that is already in your app as ‘On Wish List’ or ‘On Order’, the app will now offer to change its status to ‘In Collection’
- When scanning barcodes the “beep” sound would only sound on the first scan
- Search on own collection could be forgotten during scrolling/browsing your collection
- Field defaults screen could cause a crash
Faster CLZ Cloud syncing!
We have made several structural changes to the CLZ Cloud syncing, making it much much faster than before, especially when syncing large amounts of entries up to the CLZ Cloud or down from the CLZ Cloud.
To enjoy the faster syncing, you need to use the actual Sync with CLZ Cloud screen.
(The Auto-Syncing in the background is also slightly faster now, but if you need to sync many entries up or down, please use the Sync with CLZ Cloud screen.)
New design for Sync with CLZ Cloud screen
While we were at it, we decided to do a quick make-over for the Sync screen, with a new look and layout and a direct link to your CLZ Cloud page online.
- Made the touch area for scrollbars a bit bigger (useful for quick scrolling)
A small update for your CLZ Music app today: When adding albums by Artist/Title, you can now filter the search results to only show a specific format.
After searching for artist/title, tap the new “All Formats” button at the top right and switch it to “Vinyl” to see vinyl results only, or set to “CD” to list CDs only.
In this update we introduce a new quick-search for your folders, sorting your folders by the counters, and more stable cloud syncing through our brand-new dedicated Sync-server.
Quick-search your folders
Grouping in folders is a powerful way to browse and filter your collection. Just group by Artist, or Label, etc… tap a folder and the list will give you all albums for the selected Artist or Label.
However, if your collection spans thousands of albums, that “tap a folder” part is sometimes easier said than done. It may require lots of scrolling in the folder list.
But not anymore! This version introduces a new search box right above the folder list, that lets you instantly search/filter the folder list as you type! Just typing a few letters is often enough to bring the folder you are looking for into view:
Sort folders by count
By default, the folders are sorted alphabetically. But as of today, there is another option: sort your folders by the counter, that is by the number of albums contained.
Sorting by the counters is a nice way to find the most popular Artists, Labels, Genres, etc..
Switch between the Alphabetical and By Count sorting using the sort toggle at the top:
Improved barcode scanning
We have improved the scan engine and gave it a larger “scan area”. This should help scan barcodes faster and easier.
Now uses our brand-new CLZ Cloud Sync-server
Previously one big server was handling the Connect website, the CLZ Cloud website AND the CLZ Cloud syncing from the desktop programs and the mobile apps.
But this week we have set up a brand-new dedicated Sync-server to handle just the CLZ Cloud syncing.
In today’s update, CLZ Music has been updated to sync through this new server, which should result in faster syncing and a more stable syncing experience during high load times (weekends).