What's new in Book Collector? (page 2)
Big changes today! The Add Books Automatically screen has been completely re-designed, to make it both easier-to-use and easier-on-the-eye (and it’s now called “Add Books from CLZ Core”):
- A simple two-panel design: Search Results on the left, Preview on the right.
- The Search Results now show cover images.
- Automatic Preview of selected result (no more double clicking).
See it in action:
Here’s the full list of improvements:
We’ve expanded the quick search box to now also allow “search-as-you-type” with suggestions for pick list fields.
How does it work?
In the quick search box top right of your screen you should see a “dropdown” button. Use this to select which field you wish to perform a search on. If “search-as-you-type” is available for that field, it will instantly work once you start typing in the box.
You can now select the field “Author” in the quick search box, start typing an author name, and instantly see suggestions (based on what you typed) of authors you have in your database. Click on an author to see all his/her books.
Try it with the “Publisher” field too! Instantly see which books you own from a specific publisher you type in the quick search box.
Fixes in this version
We also fixed some issues with the program in this version:
- Images Popup:
- “size window to picture” showed image slightly smaller
- .tiff images were not showing
Quick Search: Search-As-You-Type suggestions
Instantly find and select a particular book in your local database:
- In the Quick Search box, just start typing the first few letters of the author or title you are looking for.
- While typing, a drop-down list will appear, showing the first five matching books.
(for most books, it only takes 2 or 3 letters before it shows up.)
- Once you see the one you were looking for, use the up/down keys to select it, then hit Enter.
- The book will now be selected in your list, with the details showing in the Details Panel.
Improved “Unrecognized ISBN” screen
- NEW: integrated Find Cover tool.
Easily pick a cover images from internet search results for the ISBN.
- Two extra fields: Publisher and Year.
- Author box now has drop-down with your Author list for easy entry of existing author names.
- Dragging and dropping cover images did not work for HTTPS URLs.
- Person grids: problems adding authors when multiple authors exists with the same display name.
- Link/Update Books now also supports the “Unrecognized ISBN” screen
- Quick search now also supports Regular Expressions. Enter “matches:” followed by regular expression in the quick search box.
- In Add Books Automatically, when an ISBN is not recognized, a new “Unrecognized ISBN” screen will appear.
- In this screen, just type the Author and the Title, then click Add Book.
- This will:
- Instantly add the ISBN/Author/Title entry to our Core online book database.
- Add the book to your own database with ISBN, Author and Title filled in AND linked to the new Core entry.
In other words, this new screen not only helps you in adding unrecognized books,
but it also helps your fellow Book Collector users by adding the missing ISBN to the CLZ Core.
( BTW: this screen replaces the “Report Missing ISBN to Core” web-form. Of course, you can still provide more info for the added ISBN using the Submit to Core button in the Edit Book screen. )
NEW: Choose between Light, Dark or System skins
Yes, We’re getting rid of the gray!
Book Collector now comes with a skin system, which affects the look of all screens in the program,
main screen, edit screens, add auto-screen, sync screen etc.. even the settings screens.
We have designed two different skins for you to choose from: Light and Dark.
The third option “System” is basically the old pre-v16.3 look.
New view for the main screen: Card View
Next to List View, Images View and Cover Flow, we have added a Card View, a multi-column view with little info cards for each book, showing the main book details and a small cover thumbnail.
- Add Automatically: right click menu didn’t popup when there were no results showing
- Content View: Folder grouping on a field with inheritance didn’t take the inherited book values into account
Find Image Online tool now uses Bing Image Search
The Find Image Online tool previously used Google Images to find images.
However, it turns out that on December 1, Google terminated the free Google Image Search API
that we were using, causing our Find Image Online functionality to stop working.
Google provides a new paid version of the Search API, but it is limited to max 10K searches per day.
With the amount of customers we have, we need at least 20K daily searches (600K per month!) 🙁
The solution: Switch to BING!
Webcam barcode scanning
Use your webcam as a barcode scanner, to add or find books by ISBN.
- Scan barcodes with your webcam
Just use the live camera view to point your webcam at a barcode
and let our software detect the barcode that is in view.
- Use the webcam scanner to add books by barcode
Pop-up the scan window and scan ISBN barcodes,
either using Direct Search or scanning into the Queue.
- Or use it in the main screen to find books by barcode
Scan an ISBN barcode while in the main screen,
to quickly search your local database by barcode.
- Works best with auto-focus or manual-focus webcams
Fixed focus cameras will not work well (or at all).