Collectorz.com Forum

Catalog your movies, books, music, comic books and video games.
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

General book related discussion, which books did you read lately, which authors do you like?

Post subject: Can't close BookCollector
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:53 pm 

I am sudddenly unable to close the BookCollector program by the usual means (ie., Clicking "X" in upper right hand corner or, by clicking "File/Exit"). Nothing happens when I do either of these things. In order to exit the program I must do a "Ctrl/Alt/Delete" to bring up Task Manager, select "BookCollector.e" and then click "End Task."

Yes, I did type "BookCollector.e" and not "BookCollector.exe" because that is how it is listed in Task Manager. Could that strange file extension be the problem? If so, what is the explanation for it? Notwithstanding that possibility, could anyone please suggest how I might get back to closing the program down by the usual means? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:54 am 
Collectorz.com

The Task Manager display truncates the filename, you can ignore that.

Does this also happen when you open and then immediately close the program again? Or only after using online functionality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:49 pm 

It happens when I open and immediately close the program. It also happens when I don't *immediately* close the program. The problem seems to be completely independent of any internet activity as I have not used the internet feature during the time the problem arose. The problem is also intermittent.

A new problem just occurred as I was testing the program in order to make this reply. When I attempted to open a book entry from book view, in order to examine its details, I received this error message: "Access violation at address 0065970C in module 'BookCollector.exe'. Read of address 0000000C." I was unable then to open the entry. I don't know what this means but thought the problems might be related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:57 pm 

Another strange thing I just noticed: When I first open the program, my cursor is represented by the hourglass symbol, rather than the usual arrow symbol and it remains so until I click an entry - yes, it still functions normally as the cursor - and go into the details screens (main, notes, etc). Once there, it reverts to the usual arrow symbol. ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:26 am 
Collectorz.com

You say the hanging problem 'suddenly' started appearing. Could it be that you installed or changed a firewall? It sounds like the program is hanging on trying to do the automatic check for version update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:11 am 

I use a firewall and have a very similar problem.
How can I get around it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:35 am 
Collectorz.com

Configure your firewall to allow Book Collector access to the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:43 am 

I've already done that. The only way the program will close is if I deny the program access through the firewall.
Will any future updates be addressing this problem? It seems that it's a problem that has struck a lot of people across a number of Collectorz products?