Collectorz.com Forum

Catalog your movies, books, music, comic books and video games.
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

About the Game Collector game database software for Windows.

Post subject: Some Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:54 am 

Hello,

First off let me just say Game Collector is fantastic piece of software, I've been looking for a program for cataloging my games and GC works perfectly.

After using the software for awhile I would like to suggest some things I think would make a nice addition in a future version of Game Collector.

More info in Database Totals
Right now it only shows very minimal information about your collection. It would be nice if additional information was shown.
Some examples:
- Number of games in collection.
- Number of games in wishlist.
- Number of games completed to number of games owned ratio.
- Console/Handheld of choice, based of amount of games owned per console/handheld or amount of games beaten per console/handheld.
- Genre of choice, based of database entries.
- First purchase, based of database entries.
- Most expensive game bought, based of database entries.
- Most valuable game, based of database entries.

I could list more but I don't want to create a list. :)

Basic Text Export Option
I know the pro edition has a few more options for exporting but would it be possible for the standard edition to export into a plain old .txt file with vary minimal information like console/handled and then the list corresponding to the console/handheld. I only ask for such a feature as it would be nice to have a list of the games on my wishlist when I'm out and about on the off chance I might find something on my list.

Rating Score
Instead of a user rating it would be cool if the rating was the culmination of various game reviewer scores. Metacritic does a really nice job of this, http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/la-noire. If GC was able to pull the score from Metacritic that would be awesome.

Random Game
It would be neat feature that when clicked would show a random game from your collection. I know it serves no practical purpose but it still would be neat. :)

Developers Website
It would be nice if one of the auto-added links were to the developers website.

Region Selection Option on Search
When searching for games to add it would be nice if you could select the region so only games in your selected region show up.

That's all I can think of at the moment, again thanks for creating such fantastic software!

Post subject: Re: Some Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:09 am 

Thank you for your suggestions!

Export movie data to XML and Text (CSV) formats (for use in Excel and other software) will stay Pro features, we're not pulling them to Standard (probably not even basic options).

Random game is already possible. Open your list with all your games (View > Folders > No Folders and select the name of your database.gmc in the tree). Then press CTRL+R (for random). It's a "hidden" feature 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 am 

AJMouse wrote:
Export movie data to XML and Text (CSV) formats (for use in Excel and other software) will stay Pro features, we're not pulling them to Standard (probably not even basic options).

That's OK, the print feature will work for my needs. On a side-note I'm impressed with how many options the printing feature has!
AJMouse wrote:
Random game is already possible. Open your list with all your games (View > Folders > No Folders and select the name of your database.gmc in the tree). Then press CTRL+R (for random). It's a "hidden" feature 8)

Awesome, I'm going to use this feature to decide what game to play next. :)

Got one more suggestion.

Totals
I noticed that the total displayed at the bottom includes every game added regardless if its on your wish list or collection. Would it be possible for it to display both totals?
For example:
Total: 100 Games (45 in Collection, 55 in Wish List), 3 Hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:27 pm 

Though I agree with you, there is kind of a way to do what you want. Go to the top and click the button that says "Show Folders" I believe, after that if you click on your main collection tab on the left, it should give you just the quantity in EITHER your collection or your wishlist.

But, yes, I do think there should be something a little better. Love the program though, thank you Alwin! 8)