Collectorz.com Forum

Catalog your movies, books, music, comic books and video games.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

About the Movie Collector movie organizer software for Windows and Mac.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: TV series
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:28 pm
Posts: 98
BRAVO! Much improvement! The TV series episode information is FANTASTIC! One question, is there a way to "merge" TV series seasons. For example I have the entire series of the 1966 Batman TV series recorded off TV and instead of having each season separate, I could "merge" them under one entry (my episodes are recorded out of order and not grouped by season) If there isn't might this be a consideration for the future? Also might be a consideration for a search feature.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:52 am 
Offline
Collectorz.com
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:07 am
Posts: 18112
Location: Netherlands
I am glad you like the new TV Series features!

I am afraid it is not possible to merge seasons.
Our online database has the TV series data all grouped per season because that is the most likely unit for DVD and Blu-Ray releases (so that we can add the barcodes). And of course because we expect most users to want to enter them that way.

_________________
Alwin Hoogerdijk
President, Collectorz.com

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:28 pm
Posts: 98
Alwin Hoogerdijk wrote:
I am glad you like the new TV Series features!

I am afraid it is not possible to merge seasons.
Our online database has the TV series data all grouped per season because that is the most likely unit for DVD and Blu-Ray releases (so that we can add the barcodes). And of course because we expect most users to want to enter them that way.



I just figured out the START of a "workaround". I search and add "Batman Season 1". then under "Edit Movie" you can hit "Clear CLZ ID", click "update" then you get your search results again, and I select "Season 2" and "Update". The season 2 episodes are amended to the end of season 1 episodes. However it looks like you can only do this with 2 seasons for each series for some reason (it won't add season 3 episodes, not just Batman but other series as well) If we could get beyond the "2 season barrier" it be a GREAT workaround option for those that could use it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:40 am
Posts: 326
i was hoping to be able to auto merge series

i guess to clean up the database its to manually do it

and there is no way to even manually merge them is that correct,

ie you can't drop or drag them from one entry to another?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:33 am 
Offline
Collectorz.com
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:07 am
Posts: 18112
Location: Netherlands
progrocktv wrote:
I just figured out the START of a "workaround". I search and add "Batman Season 1". then under "Edit Movie" you can hit "Clear CLZ ID", click "update" then you get your search results again, and I select "Season 2" and "Update". The season 2 episodes are amended to the end of season 1 episodes. However it looks like you can only do this with 2 seasons for each series for some reason (it won't add season 3 episodes, not just Batman but other series as well) If we could get beyond the "2 season barrier" it be a GREAT workaround option for those that could use it.


Sounds like that workaround would work.
Don't see why it wouldn't work for seasons 3 or higher tough...

_________________
Alwin Hoogerdijk
President, Collectorz.com

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:33 am 
Offline
Collectorz.com
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:07 am
Posts: 18112
Location: Netherlands
rgs80074 wrote:
i was hoping to be able to auto merge series

i guess to clean up the database its to manually do it

and there is no way to even manually merge them is that correct,

ie you can't drop or drag them from one entry to another?


Just curious: what is your reason for wanting to merge series?

_________________
Alwin Hoogerdijk
President, Collectorz.com

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:28 pm
Posts: 98
Alwin Hoogerdijk wrote:
rgs80074 wrote:
i was hoping to be able to auto merge series

i guess to clean up the database its to manually do it

and there is no way to even manually merge them is that correct,

ie you can't drop or drag them from one entry to another?


Just curious: what is your reason for wanting to merge series?


The episodes on my discs are out of order and not arranged according to season (the station broadcasted then that way) for example the first episode on the Batman '66 disc is season 1 episode 8, the second is season 3 episode 11 and so on. I'd have to merge the series have all the episodes together for me to arrange them in the proper order in Collectorz.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:28 pm
Posts: 98
Alwin Hoogerdijk wrote:
progrocktv wrote:
I just figured out the START of a "workaround". I search and add "Batman Season 1". then under "Edit Movie" you can hit "Clear CLZ ID", click "update" then you get your search results again, and I select "Season 2" and "Update". The season 2 episodes are amended to the end of season 1 episodes. However it looks like you can only do this with 2 seasons for each series for some reason (it won't add season 3 episodes, not just Batman but other series as well) If we could get beyond the "2 season barrier" it be a GREAT workaround option for those that could use it.


Sounds like that workaround would work.
Don't see why it wouldn't work for seasons 3 or higher tough...



Yea, you think it should but I tried many scenarios and couldn't get past the "2 seasons hurdle". Would be a GREAT workaround if we could get it to work. If you get a minute see if you have any luck on your end and try it with the Batman '66 and I'm curious if you can get the third season episodes to import.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:10 am
Posts: 111
There is a workaround. I got five seasons into one set yesterday. All you have to do is unlink the movie. Then, if you arrange the discs with the episodes you're trying to download as the first discs in the set, it's always thinks you're downloading from scratch. You can leave an empty episode line for every episode you're downloading. It'll put them all at the top in each slot you left blank. Make sure you leave at least as many as you need because it can't overlap the info on top of your other episodes (thank god), but you may not get some if there aren't enough spaces for them. Then you can put the discs back in the order you want them when you're done.

One thing with the tv sets: always unlink rather than updating. Then search and view the results very carefully. If you've already got your titles entered, the results could merge incorrectly. Make sure your list matches the one you're downloading exactly first.

I will say this though: For big sets, maybe it is just way too much info to organize, and you're all right about listing the seasons individually under a top level box set. LOVING this though!! BEST. UPDATE. EVER!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:40 am
Posts: 326
Alwin Hoogerdijk wrote:
rgs80074 wrote:
i was hoping to be able to auto merge series

i guess to clean up the database its to manually do it

and there is no way to even manually merge them is that correct,

ie you can't drop or drag them from one entry to another?


Just curious: what is your reason for wanting to merge series?



well it would be to clean up the database, no real reason to have for example over nine entries for x-files, right now there in one entry per season, i'd like to take that down to possiby one or two

now that we can rename disc tabs in v 8 (and once i get my next work bonus i plan on upgrading) i'd like to not have multiple listings. its really a minor issue since i've been having them like this for ages now so i am used to it but i might get around to merging them into one entry, but without being able to merge them that is goign to take a lot of extra work


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:10 am
Posts: 111
Alwin Hoogerdijk wrote:
rgs80074 wrote:
Just curious: what is your reason for wanting to merge series?


Some series are released by volume rather than season. One example would be Batman: The Animated Series.

When you download the episode details via the system, what shows up (based on downloading by season) isn't even close to what's actually on the sets. It's possible to unlink and relink it to all the different season sets until you get the whole series, then delete the episodes you don't need, but to do that over and over for each set is crazy time-consuming. If the information could be merged or imported from one set (or movie) to another, you could simply just transfer particular episodes to the correct set.

There are actually a lot of DVD sets where episodes have been moved from one season to another, or seasons have been merged (like Just Shoot Me: Seasons 1 & 2), so it would help in those instances as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:40 am
Posts: 326
i was trying to do this work around because

the database contains great episode information per season

i have the full complete series as one box set and while the database contains it it has no episodes for it and such.

while trying to use this work around, i ran into the same problem that person did

it worked perfect for the first two seaons after that i ran into problems

for season 3 it put in one episode

season 4 nothing.

has there been any other way around this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:36 am 
Offline
Collectorz.com
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:07 am
Posts: 18112
Location: Netherlands
Just enter each season as a separate entry in your database (which will give you full episode details).
Then use the Box Set field to link them.
http://www.collectorz.com/movie/manual/box-set.html

_________________
Alwin Hoogerdijk
President, Collectorz.com

Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV series
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:32 pm
Posts: 11
Alwin Hoogerdijk wrote:
Just enter each season as a separate entry in your database (which will give you full episode details).
Then use the Box Set field to link them.


I use this approach since v8 and have grown to like it, but it's not always appropriate. For example, the later Family Guy sets have consisted of the latter part of one season and the first part of the next. I have some X-Files Mythology sets each of which has a selection of episodes from multiple seasons. The box set approach doesn't really work well for these.

For sets like those I've used the workaround described by gemris above and have been able to successfully combine more than two seasons a number of times. Here's how I would combine three seasons.

    For convenience, I add one disc per season to the entry I'm trying to update; in this case three.
    I link it to the last season, so season 3.
    Make sure the entry has no episodes already and run auto-update. This pulls in season 3's episodes. I'll put them all on disc 3 if they're not there already.
    I unlink the DB entry and link it to season 2. Before pressing the link button, while the season 2 details are showing, I verify the number of season 2 episodes then press link.
    I add that number of blank episodes to disc 2 and run auto-update. That fills in all the blank episodes with season 2 info.
    Repeat for season 1 on disc 1. At that point I have all the episodes, one disc per season, and can rearrange them as appropriate for the set.

It's a little fiddly, but goes pretty fast once you've done it a few times. It makes a mess of the links tab, and the cast & crew lists can get a bit out of hand but that's usually not too hard to fix if it bothers you. If nothing else you can clear them out manually, re-link the set to its real entry by barcode and run auto-update once again.

The v8 update to pull in episode info was huge; I love it! Thanks to Collectorz for adding it, and to progrocktv and gemris for figuring out this workaround.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

About the Movie Collector movie organizer software for Windows and Mac.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group