Collectorz.com Forum

Catalog your movies, books, music, comic books and video games.
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

General comic book related discussion

Post subject: Do you remember your first comic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:59 pm 

One of the first comics in my collection is Ghost rider vol #1, #18, bought in 1976 i still have it although it looks like it lost a fight with godzilla. i remember earlier Ghost Rider comics that i read but lost or tore up in my youth.

I also have a copy of Adventures on the Planet of the Apes #6 June, 1976 that was from the same month as Ghost Rider #18

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:14 pm 

My first comic was Avengers 228, the one with Henry Pym on trial. It was late 1982/early 1983. My grandfather took me to Simmy's (a former mini-mart just down the road) in Burlington, VT and told me to get anything I wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:56 pm 

I have a memory of my dad buying me Uncanny X-Men #109 at a convience store back in 1978.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:10 pm 

Justice League of America #191 where Zatanna gives up a large portion of her magical powers to cure the Key of his then horribly shrunken body.

Come to think about it, I wonder if that has anything to do with his current evolution....

Seems Z might be responsible for more trouble than she's currently aware of...

Hmmmm........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:24 am 

I have a memory of Red Wolf #7 and at about the same time, either a Kid Colt or Rawhide Kid issue.

I do remember though that my first complete series was Ghost Rider, 1-81. After getting to issue 10 or so, I remember going back and looking for all the appearances from Marvel Spotlight #5 and up.

current collection is probably now about 15,000. I just got CC Pro and have just started entering issues. I love the fact that it has built in scanning so I can get an accurate scan of the condition of my books. I tried downloading the wraparound template but it doesn't work. The details are in the middle between the front and back covers. anyway, I'm still having fun with the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:16 pm 

I know I had comics prior to this, but Transformers #1-3 by Marvel kicked off my collection. I got a pack containing the first three issues for my twelfth birthday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:42 pm 

Comic books were commonplace throughout my youth, but I've always remembered the one that got me started collecting and preserving them. Many moons ago, I was in a drug store [Nowadays we say pharmacy, don't we?] with a friend looking through the new comic books. I couldn't make up my mind on what to buy, so he held out Amazing Spiderman #43 and said, "This one's pretty good.". I bought it and became hooked on the Marvel universe of stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:27 am 

Hmmm.... I don't recall the title, just remember it being Gold Key or Whitman. My dad knew someone who would occassionally give him a paper bag full of them for me to read! After I read them I had to give them back for the next batch! I remember Boris Karloff, Twilight Zones and Star Trek... wish I had them now!

Post subject: Marvel Team-Up annual #7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:08 am 

I remember my first comic was Marvel Team-Up Annual number 7, starring Spider-Man and Alpha Flight against a giant snake or something. I remember the cover vividly, with the greenish chick from Alpha Flight. I was only 10, I think, but I thought she was cute. :)

Around the same time, I think I got G.I. Joe #28. I think I read that one about 100 times.

Both are long destroyed now.

My collecting started with G.I. Joe issues in the 60s, I think (61, maybe?), then I had about 3500 comics by the time I dropped out of college in '94. I sold them all for maybe $300 (except for one box that had the full runs of GIJ Special Missions and Strikeforce Morituri, some Bone, Tick, and a bunch of Groo)

Three or four years ago I started picking up some comics here and there. Now my basement is nearly full. I have at least 60 long boxes down there, after buying people's collections, et cetera.

Now I am looking forward to the Mac version of CBC so I can organize them better and decide what to sell. (jwlvs is also my eBay name, if I ever get around to selling.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:45 am 

I enjoyed the animated X-Men series on television, so I picked up a recent issue of the dutch comic X-Mannen in 1995; it included The Uncanny X-Men #306 and X-Men Unlimited, Vol. 1 #1. And I was in love with Marvel! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:23 am 

I bought two issues at the same time:

Incredible Hulk #181 (1st Wolverine)
Fantastic Four #156

The older brother of a good friend had been allowing me to read his comics for some time and got me hooked so I was somewhat familiar with both the Hulk and the Thing which is why my first comics were FF and the Hulk. I'm no longer a fan of the Hulk, but those early days sparked a lifelong love of the Fantastic Four that continues today. I've spent years amassing as many high-grade copies of the series as I can and someday I'll complete the collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:44 pm 

I remember it clearly.....

Wolverine Mini-Series, Issue one, on a spinner rack at the local gas station.....

N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:12 am 
Collectorz.com

My first comic.... I guess it would have been a Suske & Wiske but I can't remember. My parents always bought us a comic each when we went on holiday. In those days (early seventies) there was limited choice. And my brothers and I enjoyed Suske & Wiske and Asterix, so either one of them was My First.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:16 am 

Some of the first comic books I remember reading were the original Doctor Solar man of the Atom and Magnus Robot fighter by Gold Key. I remember getting them in a collected pack from a five and dime store when I was 7 or 8 years old. Just wish I still had them now. They got thrown away after being read so much they were falling apart. :(

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:48 am 

cburnham wrote:
I bought two issues at the same time:

Incredible Hulk #181 (1st Wolverine)
Fantastic Four #156

The older brother of a good friend had been allowing me to read his comics for some time and got me hooked so I was somewhat familiar with both the Hulk and the Thing which is why my first comics were FF and the Hulk. I'm no longer a fan of the Hulk, but those early days sparked a lifelong love of the Fantastic Four that continues today. I've spent years amassing as many high-grade copies of the series as I can and someday I'll complete the collection.

Hey Chris, I'll trade you for that Hulk #181 it probably will never be worth anything. :wink: