Music Collector Manual
for Windows edition
Welcome to Music Collector Download and Install Navigating the Main Screen Adding your First Album Cataloging Music Files How to search your Collection Adding Albums Automatically Adding Albums Manually Adding Multi-Disc Albums Barcode Scanning Adding Tracks Adding a Box Set Adding Music Files Field Defaults Import from iTunes Importing from text Importing from Windows/XML Adding Backdrops Managing your Wish List Search Settings Editing Albums Editing Multiple Albums Changing the layout List Items and more Adding Lyrics Files Find Cover Image Adding Backdrops, Links and Files Editing List Icons Update File Links Using Folders Edit in List Customizing Music Collector Custom Field Names Sorting your Collection Custom Views Edit, Merge List Items Shelves View Activating CLZ Cloud Synchronize with Connect Linking your albums for Connect CLZ Music for Android CLZ Music for iPhone/iPod CLZ Music HD for iPad Exporting your collection Printing a Simple List Managing Loans Export to a text file Using the Filter screen Updating Music Collector The Options Screen Validating Music Collector Data Submission Guidelines Field Reference Transfer your collection Creating a Backup Keyboard Shortcuts Collection Statistics Print Screen Linking Albums Using Core for Music
Data Submission Guidelines
About the Collectorz.com online CD databaseThe Add Albums Automatically screen in Music Collector uses our own Collectorz.com online CD database for CD data and cover images. This online database is automaticaly "fed" from the freedb and MusicBrainz open source CD databases, but the main source for new CD entries and cover images is Music Collector users like you.
So if you come across a CD that is not in our database, you can help your fellow Music Collector users, by adding that CD manually and then submitting it for inclusion in the central online database, preferably including a "home-scanned" cover image.
The same holds for entries that are missing a cover image or have incorrect data (e.g. a typo in one of the song titles). Just complete and correct the entry you downloaded, then submit it back to us.
All submitted data is processed semi-automatically on a daily basis, so your submitted entries will be live in the central database within 24 hours, ready to be enjoyed by other Music Collector users.
How to submit your dataSubmitting to the online database is quite easy and can be done right from your Music Collector program. Just select one ore more items in the Music Collector main screen and then choose Submit to Collectorz.com Music Database from the Edit menu.
Tip: you can submit multiple albums in one go by selecting multiple items in the list panel on the right of the main screen. Use the standard Windows method of Ctrl-clicking or Shift-clicking to select multiple items.
Or to submit your entire database (may take an hour or more!):
- Choose View / Folders / No Folders, to make your main screen show a full list of all your albums.
- Select all albums, by clicking in the list on the right, then choosing Edit / Select All from the menu.
- Now, choose Edit / Submit to Collectorz.com Music Database.
- Finally, in the screen that opens, click the Submit button.
Which CDs should you submit?Basically, this can be summarized simply as:
- Only submit correct data and images. In particular, make sure the barcode and cover image matches the edition you own and scanned in your computer.
(CDs that have not been added by scanning will automatically be rejected by the Submit screen.)
- Only submit images that you have scanned yourself
We are not allowed to use images that have been downloaded from other websites (see the Copyrighted Material section below).
When not to submit your dataThis may sound strange, but there really are situations where we'd rather not receive your data, because it would endanger the quality of our database.
So please do not submit your entries, when one or more of the following applies to your usage of Music Collector:
- You are not using the main Music Collector fields the way they were meant to be used. This especially applies to the main identifying fields Artist, Title, track titles, Barcode. In other words, please only submit if you used the Artist field for the artist name, e.g. "Metallica", the Title field for the Title (e.g. "St. Anger"),the Barcode field for the barcode (e.g. "085391900726") and the Catalog Number field for the catalog number (e.g. "62853-2").
- You have your own non-standard conventions for field values. You may like to enter all values in ALL CAPS, or maybe you enclosed all your Title fields in double quotes because that makes them show up in a nicer way, or maybe you included your own numbering system in the titles. You are free to do so, but please do not submit your data.
Copyrighted MaterialCollectorz.com is committed to protecting the copyrights of itself and all third parties. If you own the copyright for content present in the Collectorz.com database and wish to have it removed, please contact us and we will do so immediately.
Please help us prevent copyrighted material from being included in the database by not submitting any material that may be copyrighted by 3rd parties. This mainly applies to cover images:
Cover imagesCopyright issues on images are quite complicated, as there are two kinds of copyrights involved here:
- The copyright on the original image: This copyright is either owned by the record label, the distributor of the CD or the cover artist. The "fair use" policy says that copyrighted cover images can be used as long as they are used for illustrational purpose only. General consensus is that low-resolution images can be regarded as just illustrational.
That is why the Collectorz.com Music Database only delivers cover images with a maximum height of 600 pixels. Submitted cover images with a higher resolution will be automatically resized to 600 pixels in height.
- The copyright on the image file: Another thing to consider when using images on the internet is the ownership of the digitized image file. Other sites have invested time and money in digitizing (scanning) the cover images and creating good looking digital image files. Without permission from those sites we cannot just use their image files in our database, we would be stealing their work.
So please do not submit any cover images that have been downloaded from other sites. If we have any reason to suspect that the images have not been "home-scanned", we will reject the submitted images. If you did not scan your own images, please save yourself and us some time and uncheck the "Submit Cover Images" checkbox in the Submit screen. Thanks!
More legal Mumbo JumboBy submitting music data to the Collectorz.com Music Database, you grant Collectorz.com a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute and display any data you submit throughout the world in any media.
You represent and warrant that the content is accurate; that use of the content you supply does not violate this site's policies and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify Collectorz.com for all claims resulting from content you supply.
Collectorz.com has the right but not the obligation to monitor and edit or remove any content.
Collectorz.com takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any content submitted by you or any third party.