Comic Collector for Mac OS X updates
What's new in Comic Collector for Mac OS X ?
Version 16.1 build 7 (released on January 17, 2017) :
- Crash: Add Comics Automatically screen could be prompted while using the program.
Version 16.1 build 6 (released on January 03, 2017) :
- Cards View: Quick Search didn’t filter the cards in the list.
- First Letter folder option was not using the Sort Names.
- Loan Manager Screen: Search was not working.
- Sierra: Full Screen Mode: "Add Cover" popup appears under the Edit Screen.
- Internal Images: Templates images were not updated after editing an item.
- When no internet connection was available, app was launched in Trial Mode.
- Templates : HTML content in Plots was not formatted correctly.
Version 16.1 build 5 (released on December 22, 2016) :
- Main Screen: after resizing the first column too much, the text was no longer readable
- Edit Comic: Closing the edit screen could cause a crash on El Capitan
Version 16.1 build 4 (released on December 01, 2016) :
- Main screen: switching from details to statistics would crash the program
Version 16.1 build 3 (released on November 23, 2016) :
- Program would crash on startup or load incorrectly for OS older than Sierra
Version 16.1 build 2 (released on November 22, 2016) :
- Free Trial now has an information panel to show the user how to get started.
- Trial Popup has been simplified to make it easier to pick one of the options.
- The Trial Popup sometimes showed when it shouldn't for existing users.
- Fixed Fullscreen Popups on macOS Sierra
Version 16.1 build 1 (released on September 22, 2016) :
New: "Search-As-You-Type" suggestions when adding comics by title
If you are adding most of your comics "By Title", then this will be a huge time-saver.
Here's how the new "Search-As-You-Type" feature works:
- In the Add Comics Automatically screen, just start typing the first letters of the series title you want to add issues for.
- While typing, a drop-down list will appear, instantly showing the five most popular series that match,
including the date range, the number of issues contained and a small thumbnail image.
- For popular series, it usually takes only 2 or 3 letters before it shows up.
For older or less popular series, type a few more letters.
- Once you see your series appear, use the arrow keys to select it, then hit Enter.
- Then under Search Results, that exact series will be listed, with its' issue list.
Important: this is an *extra* tool, that makes it easier and faster to add popular series.
Just hit Enter or choose "Show all results for ".." to see the full search results.
See it in action:
Faster and better results when searching series By Title
Next to the new Search-As-You-Type system, we have also improved the "normal" By Title search engine:
- Super-fast results for your searches (almost instant).
- Cleaner, more focused results, less fuzzy. For example, where previously a search for "batman rebirth" would show all series that would contain "batman" OR "rebirth" in their name, the results now just show series that contain BOTH words.
- The order of the results is weighted by popularity. A search for "amazing spider-man" will give you the main volumes at the top, with less popular series further down below.
Version 16.0 build 10 (released on September 19, 2016) :
- Check for Updates was broken for macOS Sierra.
- Templates were broken when User Defined Field headers contained special characters.
- CLZ Cloud: Down sync: Fixed an issue causing possible duplication of series.
Version 16.0 build 9 (released on June 14, 2016) :
- CLZ Cloud Sync: Fixed a crash when down-syncing a new comic.
- CLZ Cloud Sync: Series: Sort Names were not always synced.
- Add Auto: When adding a new Comic, customised Series Names were overwritten.
- 2 Panel Mode: Folders were always sorted by article.
- Folders: Preference "Ignore SortName of Person Item" was not working.
Version 16.0 build 8 (released on May 24, 2016) :
- Edit In List: some checkboxes didn’t trigger a sync change
- Cards View: Find Cover: select new cover. New Cover was not displayed.
- Add Auto: Queue mode > Add Selected: sometimes all (not selected) queue items were added
- Main Screen: 2 Horizontal Panels: Layout Sizes were not restored
- Add Automatically: By Barcode: Sometimes a new comic was added without barcode
- Manage Pick Lists: Didn't always show any warning for duplicate items
Version 16.0 build 7 (released on May 03, 2016) :
- Add Auto screen: "automatically close after queue is emptied" was not working
- Table Sorting: Empty values were not sorted correctly
- Edit In List: Edit Read It & Changing Date didn’t trigger a "sync change"
- Template: Barcode icon was missing
Version 16.0 build 6 (released on April 12, 2016) :
- New Maintenance tool: Tools > Maintenance > Open database location
- Add Auto/Update Settings: Include links from Collectorz Core
- Add Auto: QuickFill: Collection Status wasn’t set correctly
- Stories UDF were not saved
- Sort by Series Column: now it sorts the Series Issues too
- Template: Links section fixed
Version 16.0 build 5 (released on April 05, 2016) :
- Add auto screen: "Collection Status" setting was not working properly
- Images View: Newly added items with "Add Automatically" were not selected
Version 16.0 build 4 (released on March 22, 2016) :
- Templates: changing Read It/Rating didn't trigger a change for syncing
- Templates: 2 panels mode with selected folder: selection was lost after changing "Read It"
- Edit in List: Edit Rating was not working
- Templates: Online Links: "https" URLs didn’t open
- Cover Flow panel now has a black background
- Performance: Statistics are no longer updated if not necessary
- Sort Sets selection was sometimes lost after restarting the app
- Main Screen: "Collection status" filter selection was not remembered after restarting the app
Version 16.0 build 3 (released on March 07, 2016) :
- Menu: "View > Cards" item was missing
- Cards View was not working on Mavericks
- Add automatically: edit screen wasn’t opening after adding a comic
- Delete Orphan Images: TPB Covers were always deleted
Version 16.0 build 2 (released on February 17, 2016) :
- List View could crash after opening the program, making it seem like no database was open.
Version 16.0 build 1 (released on February 17, 2016) :
New view for the main screen: Card View
Next to List View, Images View and Cover Flow, we have added a Card View, a multi-column view with little info cards for each comic, showing the main issue details and a small cover thumbnail.
Delete Orphaned Images
Clean up your hard-disk by deleting all unused cover images and thumbnails.
- This tool scans your configured Images Folder or database container to find all images
that are not linked to your current database file.
- Browse the list of found orphaned images in List or Images View.
Check thoroughly to make sure these can all be deleted.
- Finally, use the red "Delete Selected Images" button,
and all "checked" images will be removed from your computer.
WARNING: Do NOT use this tool if you have multiple databases !!!!
Enhanced database Backup and Restore system
Keep multiple time-stamped backups and easily restore them.
- The software now keeps multiple time-stamped database backups of data,
saved inside your Backup folder as "[yourdatabasename].cmcp_[timestamp] [# of items] Comics".
- Use the new "Backup Folder" option in Comic Collector / Preferences / Folders to set your Backup folder location.
- Use the new "Number of Days" setting in Comic Collector / Preferences / Backup to select
how many days of backups you want to keep. Older files are automatically pruned.
- Use the Tools / Maintenance / Restore Database submenu to easily restore a backup.
Restored backups are copied back inside your CMCP database file.
Upon conversion of the database, the software will move all old format backups from inside the database file to the Backup Folder that has been set in Comic Collector / Preferences / Folders, making the database file a lot smaller in size.
Improved support for Trade PaperBacks (TPBs)
Catalog TPBs with full details and cover art of all contained issues,
automatically downloaded from our Core online comic database.
- Mark a comic in your database as TPB.
- List the issues contained in the TPB on the Contents tab of the Edit Comic screen.
- Content entries can now have their own cover image.
- Issues within the TPB are then shown in the Details Panel, with cover art. »»»
- Content entries can now be linked to Core and Updated From Core.
How to create TPB entries:
There's 3 ways to create TPB entries in your comic database
- Create a new TPB straight from the Add Auto screen
In the Add Comics Automatically screen, find the issues contained in the TPB,
check their checkboxes, then click the Add As TPB button. All done!
- Merge existing issue entries into a TPB
If you already have the contained issues in your database as separate database entries, you can merge these into a TPB, with the issues listed as Contents.
Just select the issues you want to merge, right click, then choose "Merge Into TPB".
- Add issue details to an existing TPB entry
If you already have the TPB in your database as just entry, you can add the contained issues as Contents, making full use of the issue details and covers from Core.
Just Edit the TPB, go to the Contents tab and click the Add TPB Issues button. This will open the Add Auto screen when you can find the contained issues, then add them.
Add Comics Automatically: new "Pull List" tab
Manage the series on your pull list using the new Pull List tab,
easily find new releases and add them to your database.
- Pull List tab merges functionality of old "New Releases" and "Favorites" tabs.
- Click Refresh to find all issues that either have been released in the last 7 days
or are going to be released in the upcoming months.
- Issue Release Dates are more accurate because these are now updated weekly.
- Filter the new releases list, to either show:
- New issues in your Pull List series (default).
- New issues in your series.
- New issues in all series.
- Add/Remove series to/from your Pull List by clicking the new star icons.
- Tip: double click the "Show all issues" text to see ALL issues in a series.
Other improvements to the Add Comics Automatically screen
- In all Series Search Results, the Date column now shows the date range of the contained issues, making it easier to find the series you're looking for.
- New: filter the search results on Collection Status.
Show/Hide the Have/Want display
- Tools / Options / Customization:
New setting to hide the Have/Want display in Details Panel.
New QuickSilver template, new QuickSilver Shelves for Images View
- Tools / Options / Customization:
New setting to hide the Have/Want display in Details Panel.
- "Out of memory" crashes after using the program for a few hours.
- Main screen sort order was not preserved when using Edit in List feature.
- 2 Panels / Image View / Alphabet Bar : sometimes the edit screen wouldn't open.
- Sorting on numeric fields: empty values were not sorted correctly.
- Yosemite only: Export to Text screen didn't open.
- Add Auto: Edit After Adding: values in Pick Lists were not saved
Version 15.6 build 2 (released on December 04, 2015) :
- Fixed a crash on Mountain Lion & Lion
Version 15.6 build 1 (released on December 03, 2015) :
Find Image Online tool now uses Bing Image Search
The Find Image Online tool previously used Google Images to find images.
However, it turns out that on December 1, Google terminated the free Google Image Search API
that we were using, causing our Find Image Online functionality to stop working.
Google provides a new paid version of the Search API, but it is limited to max 10K searches per day.
With the amount of customers we have, we need at least 20K daily searches (600K per month!) :-(
The solution: Switch to BING!
Microsoft also offers a paid Bing Image Search API and this one has no limits.
Or, to be more precise, they let us pay more for higher limits.
We immediately went to work and updated all our Windows and Mac programs
to use Bing Images for the Find Image Online tool instead.
Obviously, this generates considerable extra monthly costs (well over US $1,000),
but we have decided that we will NOT pass on these extra costs to our customers.
So here it is: the new Find Image Online, powered by Bing. Enjoy!
- Covers and Images sort order was not immediately updated after closing the "Choose Sort Fields" screen.
- Images View: when an alphabet letter was selected, the Edit Item menu option was disabled.
- Fixed a selection issue after closing Edit Screen
- Fixed some crashes.
Version 15.4 build 3 (released on October 21, 2015) :
- Fixed performance issues in the main screen.
Version 15.4 build 2 (released on October 01, 2015) :
- El Capitan compatibility: errors when installing "Can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed."
- Folders were not always sorted correctly.
- Cloud sync sometimes hanged on Mavericks.
Version 15.4 build 1 (released on September 24, 2015) :
- The "tree panel" has become the Folder Panel.
This Folder Panel now always shows folders, and folders *only*.
- The "list panel" on the right is now the Comic List Panel.
This Comic List Panel always shows a list of *comics*, never folders.
- New BIG folder button to the left of the bread-crumb bar.
Now also displays the currently selected folder Preset.
- No more situations where the left and right panels show the same list.
- The Images and Cover Flow view always show *comic cover images*
Which is what they are for. No more big ugly folder icons.
- Selecting comics is *always* done in the Comic List Panel.
No more confusion about actions behaving differently depending on
wether a comic has been selected in the tree or the list.
- Use the Folder Panel to *filter* the comic list in the Comic List Panel.
E.g. select the 52 folder to make the Comic List show all comics from the 52 series.
- Click the root/top folder to show *all* comics.
Select the top item in the folder tree to make the Comic Panel show
all comics in your collection. No need to switch to No Folders mode.
- No Folders Mode? Then no Folder Panel.
Don't want to use folders? No problem, switch to No Folders mode and the
Folder Panel will disappear, resulting in a nice "Classic Mode" view.
- Only two panels: Comic List and Comic Details, no Folder Panel.
- Folders are "integrated" into the Comic List as extra folder rows.
- The Two Panel Layout is available in Horizontal and Vertical versions.
Re-designed Field Selection screens for Sorting, Columns and Folders
- Clearer layout: Available Fields on the left, Selected Fields on the right.
- Easier selection of fields: just drag from left to right to select, from right to left to remove.
- Or use keyboard short-cuts:
- While in Available Fields list: hit Spacebar to move the selected field to the right.
- While in Selected Fields list: hit Del to remove the selected field.
- Manage your Field Presets using the dropdown list and buttons top right (PRO edition only).
- Switch between Presets using the dropdown list.
- Create a new Preset using the plus "+" button.
- Create a copy of the current Preset using the Duplicate button.
- Rename a Preset using the pencil button.
- Remove a Preset using the trash can button.
- Templates: Series sequences in the Have/Want box at the top were not always correctly ordered.
- Improved memory management for some features.
- Import Old V3 Database: Fixed an issue with Local Links.
Version 15.3 build 3 (released on August 13, 2015) :
New settings in Tools / Options to control the sorting
Some users just like to sort their Series *including* "The" and "A".
Others like to sort Creators by their Firstnames .
With today's new "Ignore" settings in Tools / Options / Sorting, they finally can:
- Ignore the Series Sort Name.
- Ignore the Sort Names of Person items (e.g. Creators, Characters) YES/NO
- Memory issue in User Defined Fields code
Version 15.3 build 2 (released on July 22, 2015) :
Updated: Alphabet Bar
- Alphabet Bar now uses full width of Main Screen
- Alphabet Bar menu item now toggles between "Show Alphabet Bar" and "Hide Alphabet Bar"
- Add Auto: Opening Screen and switching tabs performance issue fixed
Version 15.3 build 1 (released on July 21, 2015) :
New: Alphabet Bar in main screen
- An A to Z alphabet bar is now available at the top of your main screen.
- Click a letter to quickly filter your comic list by the first letter of the Series title.
- The letter buttons are automatically greyed out if there are no comic series starting with that letter.
- The bar automatically stretches to fit the width of your screen. Wider screen -> bigger buttons.
- Hide/Show the Alphabet Bar using the new option in the View menu.
Add Comics Automatically: new Daily Updates and Favorites tabs
- Daily Updates: easily find which comic books have been recently updated in our Core online comic database.
- Favorites: quickly add issues from your favorite series by keeping them listed on the Favorites tab.
(just right click a Series in the normal Search Results and choose Add to Favorites).
Version 15.1 build 5 (released on July 13, 2015) :
- Crash when starting on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
Note: this is the final Snow Leopard compatible build.
Support for Snow Leopard will be dropped from future versions!
Version 15.1 build 4 (released on July 08, 2015) :
Tweaks to CLZ Cloud Syncing screen and toolbar buttons.
- CLZ Cloud Syncing screen:
- Login info and CLZ Cloud viewer link now prominently displayed at the top.
- Optional "Do you want to view your CLZ Cloud now?" message after syncing.
- CLZ Cloud toolbar in main screen:
- Sync button now shows Sync Status (red exclamation mark indicating "not in sync").
- New View my CLZ Cloud button (existing users: place on toolbar using View / Toolbar / Customize).
More stable CLZ Barry connections
The built-in CLZ Barry support has been changed to always keep your Barry connection "alive".
No more spontaneous disconnects. Requires CLZ Barry 2.0 (free update for iOS and Android).
- Preferences: "Show Quick Fill screen" checkbox value was inverted.
- Preferences: crash on Leopard and Lion OSX.
- The app was crashing on startup when a Folder Set with an empty name was selected.
Version 15.1 build 3 (released on June 03, 2015) :
- CLZ Cloud Sync: Fixed an error during Cover Upload (problem with Preview Art).
- CLZ Cloud Sync: Fixed a crash which happened in the Sync screen while it was scrolling down.
Version 15.1 build 2 (released on May 29, 2015) :
- Preferences screen didn't open on CLZ Account when clicking the "Unlock" button in the program / splash screen.
Version 15.1 build 1 (released on May 28, 2015) :
Re-Designed Preferences screen
- Navigate between groups of settings using a two-level tree panel on the left
(instead of tabs at the top), which allows for a better categorization of settings.
- All settings have been re-categorized and renamed to make them clearer and easier to find.
New: Import from Text
Import basic comic data into Comic Collector from other programs:
- Issue Number
- Issue Ext
Upload to CLZ Cloud and Submit to Core features
now automatically resize cover images that are too large
No more failed image uploads because of the 500kb limit. Both the Upload to CLZ Cloud and Submit to Core features now automatically resize images to within 750x750 pixels when uploading.
- Cloud Sync: Items modified by “Re-assign Index Fields" were not seen as changes for the Cloud upload.
- Manage Pick Lists: Crash after editing Display Name for UDF lists.
- Manage Pick Lists: Crash when Adding an item and then cancelling straight away.
- Edit Screen: In some situations, editing a person entry could crash the app.
- Edit Screen: Story Credit Roles were still blinking in editing mode after clicking on Next/Previous.
Version 15.0 build 3 (released on May 04, 2015) :
- CLZ Cloud Syncing 2.0: several rare problems with the syncing of cover images.
- Manage User Defined Fields screen: Removing a User Defined field resulted in a program crash.
Version 15.0 build 2 (released on May 01, 2015) :
- Templates: Carbon templates didn't show the have/want issues at the top.
- New sync protocol crashed on Snow Leopard.
- Add Comic Manually: the “Cancel” button was not closing the screen.
- CLZ Barry Scanner: if a comic was edited before scanning, the scanned barcode was wrongly added to the previously edited comic.
- Manage Pick Lists: fixed a crash on Mavericks.
- Check for Update: wasn't working correctly with an expired license.
- Main List: dates with unspecified day and “January" as month were displaying an incorrect year.
- Saved "Sort Field Sets" are now sorted alphabetically.
- Columns Editor: "Show collection status indicator” was turned off by default
Version 15.0 build 1 (released on April 29, 2015) :
Welcome to Comic Collector version 15, aka "The Carbon Edition"!
New CLZ Cloud Syncing v2.0
We have completely rewritten the CLZ Cloud syncing mechanism,
to make it easier to use, faster and capable of syncing very large databases.
- Easier: One "Synchronize" button that syncs up and/or down as needed.
No more need to choose the sync direction (Up or Down). Just click the single Synchronize button and
the system will automatically upload your local changes and download your cloud-side changes.
- Faster: Sync your additions, changes and removals within a few seconds.
The software now keeps track of your adds, edits and removes, so when synchronizing with the CLZ Cloud,
it already knows which items need to be up- or downloaded, making the actual sync very fast.
( the initial full sync may be slightly slower though, but you only need to do that once )
- More scalable: Transfer very large databases without problems.
The syncing process is now a series of tiny data uploads and downloads, as opposed to
a single huge upload/download. This ensures that databases of any size can be synced.
- More reliable: Solves many problems of the old syncing system.
No more "invalid XML" when uploading large collections, no more changes that keep recurring every sync.
No more starting from scratch in case of connection problems, just continue where you left off.
New "Carbon" template for the details panels
- 4 different styles: Carbon Dark, Carbon Light, Plain Dark and Plain Light.
- Fully adaptive to the width of the details panel, to always make best use of the available space.
New Carbon Shelves style for the Images View
A new carbon look shelves style to match the Carbon template.
Version Cobalt.9 build 3 (released on March 30, 2015) :
- Find Cover screen: cropping didn't work.
- Sometimes “Manage Pick List” screen was crashing and it was not possible to open it anymore.
- Detail View was blank when using special characters in the Field Names.
- Detail View was blank on previous OS X because of Want/Have block in the templates
Version Cobalt.9 build 2 (released on March 16, 2015) :
- Templates: Have/Want Series Header
- Edit Screen: Persons Tables: Cells were not correctly aligned with the columns.
- Manage Pick Lists:
- After adding a duplicate, an empty row was added to the list.
- Sort order is now case insensitive.
- Database Totals didn't always show the real "totals".
- Main Menu:
- File > Export to Text was sometimes greyed out.
- File > Save Database As.. was very slow.
- Column Feld Selection Screen: Duplicate Columns Set: some columns were wrongly checked.
Version Cobalt.9 build 1 (released on February 25, 2015) :
Edit Comic/Contents: Easier adding and managing of Creator and Character fieldsA new user interface for adding new creator/character entries and managing their First and Last Names (and aliases)
straight from the Edit Comic and Edit Contents screens, without opening the Tools / Manage Pick Lists screen.
Instead, REMOVE the Writer (bin icon), then ADD the other Writer using the "Search box" at the top of the Creators grid.
- Screen wide multi-column tables for Creators and Characters in Edit Comic and Edit Content screens.
- Tables show multiple columns with Display Name, First/Last Names and Sort Names (and an alias column for characters).
- How to Add Creators to your Comics:
Add new entries using a new search box above the table, that auto-filters the pick lists as you type.
After searching a creator, click the "Add Creator" button.
Then select a role for that creator and it's added.
- Directly edit First and Last Names in the table, without opening the Manage Pick Lists screen.
- Or click the Edit (pencil) button in front of a name to directly edit the item inside the Manage Pick Lists screen.
- Easy re-ordering of entries by dragging the "drag" icon in the 1st columns.
- Easy removal of entries using the Delete (bin) icons on each row (in the last column).
- Direct access to relevant pick lists manage screen using the "Manage ... List" button top right.
The Manage Pick Lists screen will automatically select the entry that was selected in the Edit screen.
Adaptive layout of Edit Comic and Edit Content screensNo more useless grey areas on big screens!
- The layouts of all tabs in the Edit Comic and Edit Content screens are now adapting to fit the size of the screen.
- Edit boxes and drop down list get wider when you make your Edit screen wider.
- Checkbox list and multi-value grids get higher (and wider) when increasing the size of your Edit screen.
New List Selector panel in Tools / Manage Pick Lists screen
- Tools / Edit Lists is now called Manage Picks Lists.
- New list selection panel on the left replaces drop down menu.
- New "Favorites" area for your most commonly used lists (defaults to Character, Creator, Publisher and Series)
- Drag and drop to and from Favorites area to create your own Favorites list.
- It is now possible to delete pick list items that are still in use (#Used > 0),
without having to hunt down all places where the value is used.
- Choose Remove on an item, answer Yes to the "Delete anyway?" question,
and the program will automatically clear this value in all fields where it was in use.
New Folder option for "Series First Letter"
Use the blue folder button and choose "Series First Letter / Series" to group your series on their first letter.
More consistent Core / Cloud terminology
- "Update Comics Automatically" is now called "Update from Core".
- "Link Comics" is now called "Link with Core".
- "Unlink Comics" is now called "Unlink from Core".
- "Upload Cover for Selected Comic" is now called "Upload Cover to CLZ Cloud".
- Automation: Read It automatically gets set if you enter Reading Date or Rating (optional, check your Preferences screen to check the boxes for this).
- Synchronise with CLZ Cloud: “Upload new fields first” message was displaying even with a new empty database.
- Edit Comic screen: now allows incremental search for Checkbox List fields.
- Print Panel: wasn't always displaying the paper orientation.
- User Defined Fields: Blank field names not allowed anymore.
- User Defined Fields: Autocomplete was not working for some fields.
- User Defined Fields were not properly removed.
- XML Import: Covers were not imported.
- Quick Search: Duplicated items sometimes didn't show.
- Add Automatically: Quick Fill screen: Store field now auto completes.
- Add Automatically: Quick Fill screen: Store field now sorts alphabetically.
- Add Automatically: Quick Fill screen: Purchase Date was entered even if status was set to "Wish List" there.
- Fixed an issue with handling barcodes from OPN-2001 scanner.
- Preferences Screen: "Automatically Increment Index" Yes/No didn't save correctly.
- Fixed a problem with series backdrops duplicating for issues of the same series.
- Loan Manager: Default Loan Period wasn't saved correctly.
- Upload Cover to CLZ Cloud: Replaced "Invalid Action" error with something more understandable.
Version Cobalt.8 build 4 (released on November 24, 2014) :
- After scanning a barcode, add automatically screen was not displaying the barcodes tab view.
- Statistics: Some bars from the bar statistics were hidden.
- Edit Lists: Next / Previous buttons were not working correctly.
Version Cobalt.8 build 3 (released on November 14, 2014) :
Improved Find Image screen
- More logical layout, with search box top left.
- Better looking thumbnail and preview area.
- New setting "Auto search when screen opens (Yes/No)" in Preferences, that lets you disable the automatic searching each time you open the screen.
- New: Stop searches and preview actions that take too long.
New options for Folder fields
- Read It (Yes/No)
- In trial mode, the Login screen popped up after every search in the Add Auto screen.
Version Cobalt.8 build 2 (released on November 10, 2014) :
- Crashes when removing comics.
Version Cobalt.8 build 1 (released on November 05, 2014) :
Quick Search feature now searches more fields
- URLs of all links
- Comic Content Data
New setting for Add Auto screen: Edit After AddMakes the Edit Comic screen open automatically after adding a new issue using the Add Comics Automatically screen.
- When the list panel shows folders, the column header said "DisplayName". Now show the field name of the current folder field.
- Templates: User Defined date fields were not displaying in your configured System Date Format.
- Templates: Backdrops were not displayed anymore on some Macs.
Version Cobalt.7 build 3 (released on October 23, 2014) :
Yosemite compatibilityMultiple changes to make Comic Collector fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 / Yosemite,
for example: Clicking a cover image in the Details Panel didn't work anymore.
- Main Screen / Images View: Crashes when displaying Stories.
Version Cobalt.7 build 2 (released on October 13, 2014) :
New: Connect / Core / CLZ Cloud 2.0 supportSome changes to prepare for the upcoming 2.0 versions of Connect, the public CLZ Cloud pages and the Core site.
- Downloaded links to our online database now point to the new core.collectorz.com site.
- "My public collection" link in CLZ Cloud Syncing screen now points to the new cloud.collectorz.com site.
- User Defined Fields: Crashes on OS X 10.7 when adding a new field in the Manage UDF screen.
- User Defined Fields: Fields without field name would crash the app when opening the “Manage User Defined Fields” screen or the edit screen.
- CLZ Cloud syncing: crashes when uploading cover images.
Version Cobalt.7 build 1 (released on September 22, 2014) :
Improved Edit Lists screen (Tools menu -> Edit Lists)
- New: Quick Search
- Quickly find the list items you want using the new Quick Search box on the top right.
- The list instantly filters as you type, no need to hit the Enter key.
- New: Edit directly in the list screen.
Edit item names and other properties directly in the item list screen, no need to open the Edit screen.
- Use the Edit in List button to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the item list to edit it.
- Blue columns are editable, greyed out columns are not
(for read-only fields like ID and automatically generated values like Sort Name).
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes.
Fixed for the new User Defined Fields system:
- Several performance problems caused by the new UDF system.
- Crashes when closing the Manage UDF screen.
- Edit Multiple would clear Text and Pick List values.
- Edit Multiple would not always save correct values for Checkbox List fields.
- Synchronise with CLZ Cloud: program crashes while generating long item lists.
- Download from CLZ Cloud: Only Series Titles were compared (and not Series IDs).
- Main List: horizontal 'rubber-banding’ was causing issues for laptop user's gestures.
- Main List: When using Cmd + R to select a random comic, the same sequences of comics would be selected each time.
Version Cobalt.6 build 1 (released on September 17, 2014) :
New: Unlimited User Defined Fields (PRO edition only!)
- Use the new Manage User Defined Field screen (Tools menu) to create your own data fields, of any type, in any order and as many as you want.
- Choose from the following field types:
- Pick List
- Number (whole)
- Number (decimals)
- Checkbox (yes/no)
- Checkbox List
- All fields you define will appear on their own tab in the Edit Comic screen.
- User Defined fields work like any other field. You can:
- Set Default Values.
- Add them as Columns to your main screen lists.
- Use them as Sort field.
- Select Pick List and Multi-Value fields as the Folder field.
- Search them using the Quick Search feature.
- View their data under their own header in the Details Panel template.
- Define your own "Header" name, which is used as the tab name in the Edit Comic screen and as the header in the template.
- Any existing User Defined fields from the old version will automatically be converted into the new version (only fields that actually contain data).
Version Cobalt.5 build 4 (released on August 18, 2014) :
- Add Comics Automatically Auto: Quick Fill screen:
- Purchase Price Field now shows a warning if comma is used instead of dot.
- Purchase Price decimal values were not added correctly.
Version Cobalt.5 build 3 (released on July 28, 2014) :
- The warning "The document's file has been changed by another application.” was occasionally displaying when opening a database.
- Add automatically screen: it was not possible to sort results by issue "Series/Issue" or “Publisher”.
- Export to CLZ Comics was occasionally crashing for some databases.
- Person entries with ID zero could occur in the database, causing problems when Exporting to CLZ Comics.
Version Cobalt.5 build 2 (released on July 18, 2014) :
- Add Automatically: Series field was not filled in when adding issues from series not in the database yet.
- Details: Templates were occasionally broken by hidden characters inserted in the text fields.
Version Cobalt.5 build 1 (released on July 17, 2014) :
New: Full screen mode (on Lion and Mavericks)
- Now supports the Mac OS X standard Full Screen Mode (introduced in OS X Lion).
- To expand to full screen, click the arrows in the top-right corner of the app window.
- To return to standard view, move the pointer to the top-right corner of the screen
until the menu bar appears, and then click the arrows.
Edit Comic: easier adding of Creators and Characters
- When entering the name of a character or creator (Writer, Artist, Colorist, etc...),
the pick list now filters the list using the letters you typed. (as opposed to jumping to the first matching item).
- This makes the drop down list more useful, as it now only shows a short list of matching items,
instead of tens of thousands of person names in a tiny box.
- On top of that, it avoids having to load the long list of names, making the Edit screen much faster.
- New database structure which will slightly improve the performance of most database actions,
and, more importantly, will make future database conversions much faster and more stable.
- However: this new database structure will cause one last slow conversion for this update,
which may take up to 15 minutes for large databases. Please do not close the software before it completes!
- Edit Comic screen now opens much faster, especially on large databases with many creators and characters.
- Main Menu: Buy > Unlock Software: If the database window was not open, popup did not show up.
- Preferences panel was occasionally disappearing when clicking on License > Password field.
- Export to mobile occasionally failed because images paths were not escaped correctly.
Version Cobalt.4 build 2 (released on June 23, 2014) :
- Update File Links: App was occasionally crashing after clicking on "Manual"
- Edit Comic: Possible data corruption problems when clicking "Next" and "Previous" buttons extremely quickly.
- Templates: User Templates were not working anymore.
- Main screen / Edit In list: Date popups were not displaying the correct date.
- App was freezing when switching to the statistics view on Retina Display MacBooks.
- For some users, the previous build was freezing right after starting the program.
Version Cobalt.4 build 1 (released on May 05, 2014) :
WARNING: OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher REQUIRED!!Starting with this build, Comic Collector is NOT COMPATIBLE with OS X 10.5 (Leopard) anymore.
To run this version, you need OS X 10.6 (Show Leopard) or higher.
Add Comics Automatically: New Cobalt Compact template for Preview panel
- The new Cobalt Compact template has been especially designed for the task at hand:
selecting the correct series and issue from the search results.
- Clearly showing the identifying issue information near the top (Series Title, Issue Number, Publication Date, Barcode, etc..).
- Toggle between Front and Back with the "flip" icon that appears when hovering over the cover image.
- Responsive design makes the template usable and good looking, whatever the width of your Preview panel is.
- Available in both Light and Dark styles.
Add Comics Automatically: New Quick Fill popup when adding comics
- Add to Collection / Wish List selection in Add Auto screen has been replaced with this Quick Fill popup
that lets you set ALL Collection Status values (including On Order and For Sale), plus several extra fields.
- Set the values of several personal fields while adding comics:
- Collection Status
- Purchase Store
- Purchase Price
- Purchase Date
- The Quick Fill popup is enabled by default. Disable it by unchecking the "Always show this popup"
checkbox at the bottom. Re-enable it using Tools / Options / Add/Update Comics Automatically.
Fully configurable Update Comics Automatically feature:
- When Updating Comics with the central online comic database,
you can now configure how the update should handle your current data.
- Choose from:
- "Leave as is"
- "Update empty fields only"
- "Replace current data"
- These options are available for:
- Front Cover
- Back Cover
- Preview Art
- Cover Price
- Issue Extension/Edition
- Title / Subtitle / Story Arc / Crossover
Add/Update Automatically settings moved to Tools / Options screen
- All settings for Adding and Updating Movies Automatically can now be
found in the Tools / Options screen, in the Add/Update Comics Automatically section.
- This tab can also be reached like before, using the little wrench button
on the top right of the Add Comics Automatically screen.
- Import from XML: series with ID equal to 0 were imported incorrectly.
- Main Screen: A layout issue for the removal confirmation popup of comics with longer titles.
- Main Screen: fixed several issues with the layout settings.
- Add Auto: auto-increment of the Index field wasn’t working correctly.
- Sync with CLZ Cloud: “Download From CLZ Cloud” button was disabled each time a new database was created.
- Sync with CLZ Cloud: “Upload Covers”: an new alert notifies the user when a cover is too big to upload to CLZ Cloud.
Version Cobalt.2 build 4 (released on January 21, 2014) :
New: Edit directly in the main screen comic listEasily make quick changes to your comic entries, right in the main screen list. No need to open the Edit Comic screen
- Use the Edit in List button (top right) to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the comic list to edit it.
- You can edit information in any column, except greyed ones (for read-only fields like ID).
- Directly edit text fields (like Title), choose from a dropdown for picklist fields (like Series, Publisher, Age), use a checklist for multi-value fields (like Genre, Characters) or pick a date from a calendar for date fields.
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes (for instance, issues may move to a different folder when changing Series, Genre, Publisher, etc...)
- Settings / License: Crash after removing password only.
- Edit Screen / Crew list: Roles list did not show customized field names for user defined roles.
Version Cobalt.2 build 3 (released on January 09, 2014) :
- Add Comics Automatically: crash when adding comics from a new series.
Version Cobalt.2 build 2 (released on January 07, 2014) :
- Find Cover Image screen would freeze up on some searches.
- Loan Manager: Loaners weren't displayed in the list.
- Loan Manager: "Loan" button wasn't correctly enabled.
- Add Comics Automatically: When using Series titles in your local database that are different from the titles in the online database, adding new issues would not automatically put them in the correct Series folder.
- Link screen / Edit search Criteria : OK button was unresponsive to Enter keyboard button.
- Link screen: Preview did not always update when selection changed.
Version Cobalt.2 build 1 (released on December 09, 2013) :
New: Fix broken file paths using the Update File Links feature
- Use Tools / Maintenance / Update File Links to fix the file paths for images and other files.
(e.g. after you have moved files to a different location on your computer or after renaming a folder).
- Choose the File Type on the top right, and the screen will automatically show the missing files.
- Select the file links you want to repair, then choose the Automatic or Manual method of setting the new file path.
- Automatic will search your hard disk for the missing files automatically.
- Manual lets you set the new location manually.
- Finally, click Update to write the new file paths to your database.
New: Move your images from "internal" to external images folder, or vice versaOur software has always let you decide where to store your images:
either inside the database file (internal), or outside of the database file (external), in a specified location on your computer.
This new maintenance command lets you modify this setting afterwards
and move files into the database file, or move them out of the database file.
- Loan Manager: Loaners list was not sorted alphabetically.
Version Cobalt.1 build 3 (released on December 02, 2013) :
- Improved layout of "My CLZ Account" screen, to make it clearer that
one needs to enter CLZ Username and Password, NOT a license key.
- New "Show Characters in Alphabetical order" setting (for templates) in the Preferences Screen.
- Improved layout of "My CLZ Account" screen, to make it clearer that
- After adding a new comic using Add Auto, the current Series folder was unselected.
- Publisher logos were not correctly displayed in the Cobalt Templates.
Version Cobalt.1 build 2 (released on November 26, 2013) :
- Edit Screen: Submit button was still enabled when in "Edit multiple" mode.
- Templates: Read it field was not correctly updated.
Version Cobalt.1 build 1 (released on November 14, 2013) :
Redesigned Add Comics Automatically Screen
- Clearer and nicer looking tabs at the top for switching between By Title, By Barcode and New Releases.
- More logical and cleaner layout of buttons and other controls.
New: Easier Series entry in Add Comics Automatically
- The Series entry box in the Add Series Automatically now has a drop-down list
including all Series entries in your existing database.
- When typing in the box, it now "auto-completes" to any existing entries.
Integrated support for our CLZ Barry wireless barcode scanner app
- When using CLZ Barry with Comic Collector, you don't need the
"Buddy for Barry" software anymore.
In other words, Buddy is now integrated into Comic Collector.
- Connect with CLZ Barry right from Comic Collector's main toolbar
and from the Add Comics Automatically screen ("By Barcode" tab).
- CLZ Barry is available for iPhone, iPad and Android.
Click here for more information about CLZ Barry.
Version Cobalt.0 build 2 (released on November 06, 2013) :
- Templates: Cobalt and Metro templates didn't always show Wrap-Around back and front cover side by side.
- Edit Lists: Some columns didn't display the correct value for certain items.
- Problems validating License Keys containing zeroes.
Version Cobalt.0 build 1 (released on October 24, 2013) :
New Virtual Shelves look for Images View
The Images View in the main screen, you know, the one that shows the
cover image thumbnails, now includes Virtual Shelves.
Choose from 5 different looks:
- Classic (No shelves)
- Wood (light)
- Wood (dark)
More "Collectorz Blue" iconsThe "Collectorz Blue" look of the toolbar has now been implemented everywhere,
resulting in a look that is more consistent and easier on the eye:
New: Customizable images for all pick list items
Set your own image for any list item, e.g. for Formats, Languages...
- Set a 16x16 image that will appear in the tree and list on main screen.
- Set a larger template image for use in Details Panel templates.
For example: here's how you could set your own images for the Country list:
Two new templates: Cobalt and BlockzFor the Cobalt version, we created two new templates that bring different layouts,
several color styles to choose from and some cool new features:
- Large front cover image, that "flips" to show the back cover.
- Fixed length Plot display for a cleaner layout.
Click "Show More" / "Show Less" links to expand/collapse full plot.
- Click Read It "eye" icon to toggle Read It between Yes and No.
Cobalt is based on the Comic Collector Connect look.
It uses a fixed width for the comic details (minimum width 700 pixels),
with the backdrop image taking up the rest of the space.
The Blockz template has several brightly colored blocks with your data. .
Blockz comes in three styles: Collectorz Colors, Backdrop and the easy-on-the-eye Dark style.
New system for License Checks and Check for Updates
- New Software Unlock system
Previously, unlocking the trial edition into the licensed Standard or Pro edition was done by entering a License Name and License Key into the software. Not anymore!
Starting with the Cobalt versions, the only thing you need to do is login to the software with your CLZ Account (if you haven't done so already for cloud syncing). The program will automatically "know" which edition (Standard or Pro) you own.
- New Check for Updates system
Similarly, the new Cobalt versions will use your CLZ Account to give you a smarter Check for Updates system, showing you exactly which updates you are allowed to install with your current Update Plan, also automatically unlocking them after upgrading/updating.