Book Collector for Mac OS X updates
What's new in Book Collector for Mac OS X ?
Version 16.0 build 7 (released on May 10, 2016) :
- Credits with role "Author" were not listed
- Template: ISBN icon was missing
- Duplicate Book: Stories were not copied
- Main Screen: Edit in List
- un(checking) checkbox lists didn’t trigger a "sync change"
- changing "Read It" and "Changing Date" didn’t trigger a "sync change"
- Cards View: the new cover was not displayed using Find Cover
- Add Auto: sometimes not selected queue items were also added using "Add Selected" in queue mode
Version 16.0 build 6 (released on April 19, 2016) :
- User Defined Fields for Stories were not saved
- Full Covers Template: Subtitle was not spaced correctly
- New Maintenance tool: Tools > Maintenance > Open database location
- Automatically Close Add Auto screen after queue is emptied was not working
- List Sorting: Empty values were not sorted correctly
- Pseudonym can not be selected in "Manage Pick List" screen if a quick search has been done.
Version 16.0 build 5 (released on April 05, 2016) :
- Default Fields: "Read It" was missing
- Add auto screen: "Collection Status" setting was not working properly
- Images View: Newly added items with "Add Automatically" were not selected
Version 16.0 build 4 (released on March 22, 2016) :
- Templates: changing Read It/Rating didn't trigger a change for syncing
- Templates: 2 panels mode with selected folder: selection was lost after changing "Read It"
- Edit in List: Edit Rating was not working
- Templates: Online Links: "https" URLs didn’t open
- Cover Flow panel now has a black background
- Performance: Statistics are no longer updated if not necessary
- Sort Sets selection was sometimes lost after restarting the app
- Main Screen: "Collection status" filter selection was not remembered after restarting the app
Version 16.0 build 3 (released on March 07, 2016) :
- Menu: "View > Cards" item was missing
- Cards View was not working on Mavericks
Version 16.0 build 2 (released on February 17, 2016) :
- List View could crash after opening the program, making it seem like no database was open.
Version 16.0 build 1 (released on February 17, 2016) :
New view for the main screen: Card View
Next to List View, Images View and Cover Flow, we have added a Card View, a multi-column view with little info cards for each book, showing the main book details and a small cover thumbnail.
Delete Orphaned Images
Clean up your hard-disk by deleting all unused cover images and thumbnails.
- This tool scans your configured Images Folder or database container to find all images
that are not linked to your current database file.
- Browse the list of found orphaned images in List or Images View.
Check thoroughly to make sure these can all be deleted.
- Finally, use the red "Delete Selected Images" button,
and all "checked" images will be removed from your computer.
WARNING: Do NOT use this tool if you have multiple databases !!!!
Enhanced database Backup and Restore system
Keep multiple time-stamped backups and easily restore them.
- The software now keeps multiple time-stamped database backups of data,
saved inside your Backup folder as "[yourdatabasename].bkcp[timestamp] [# of items] Books".
- Use the new "Backup Folder" option in Book Collector / Preferences / Folders to set your Backup folder location.
- Use the new "Number of Days" setting in Book Collector / Preferences / Backup to select
how many days of backups you want to keep. Older files are automatically pruned.
- Use the Tools / Maintenance / Restore Database submenu to easily restore a backup.
Restored backups are copied back inside your BKCP database file.
Upon conversion of the database, the software will move all old format backups from inside the database file to the Backup Folder that has been set in Book Collector / Preferences / Folders, making the database file a lot smaller in size.
New QuickSilver template, new QuickSilver Shelves for Images View
- "Out of memory" crashes after using the program for a few hours.
- Main screen sort order was not preserved when using Edit in List feature.
- Add Book Files: Crash when clicking the Scan button a second time.
- 2 Panels / Image View / Alphabet Bar : sometimes the edit screen wouldn't open.
- Sorting on numeric fields: empty values were not sorted correctly.
- Yosemite only: Export to Text screen didn't open.
- Add Auto: Edit After Adding: values in Pick Lists were not saved.
Version 15.6 build 2 (released on December 04, 2015) :
- Fixed a crash on Mountain Lion & Lion
Version 15.6 build 1 (released on December 03, 2015) :
Now uses Bing Image Search for Find Image Online tool
The Find Image Online tool previously used Google Images to find images.
However, it turns out that on December 1, Google terminated the free Google Image Search API
that we were using, causing our Find Image Online functionality to stop working.
Google provides a new paid version of the Search API, but it is limited to max 10K searches per day.
With the amount of customers we have, we need at least 20K daily searches (600K per month!) :-(
The solution: Switch to BING!
Microsoft also offers a paid Bing Image Search API and this one has no limits.
Or, to be more precise, they let us pay more for higher limits.
So here it is: the new Find Image Online, powered by Bing!
- Covers and Images sort order was not immediately updated after closing the "Choose Sort Fields" screen.
- Images View: when an alphabet letter was selected, the Edit Item menu option was disabled.
- Fixed a selection issue after closing Edit Screen
- Fixed some crashes.
Version 15.4 build 3 (released on October 21, 2015) :
- Fixed performance issues in the main screen.
Version 15.4 build 2 (released on October 01, 2015) :
- El Capitan compatibility: errors when installing "Can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed."
- First Column Sorting was not working for some fields.
- Shelf mode, 2 Panels, Detail View: sometimes the wrong book was displayed after filtering with Alphabet Bar.
- Pick List Screen: crash when editing a LookupItem used in a Story.
- Folders were not always sorted correctly.
- Cloud sync sometimes hanged on Mavericks.
Version 15.4 build 1 (released on September 17, 2015) :
- The "tree panel" has become the Folder Panel.
This Folder Panel now always shows folders, and folders *only*.
- The "list panel" on the right is now the Book List Panel.
This Book List Panel always shows a list of *books*, never folders.
- New BIG folder button to the left of the bread-crumb bar.
Now also displays the currently selected folder Preset.
- No more situations where the left and right panels show the same list.
- The Images and Cover Flow view always show *book cover images*
Which is what they are for. No more big ugly folder, disc or episode icons.
- Selecting books is *always* done in the Book List Panel.
No more confusion about actions behaving differently depending on
wether a book has been selected in the tree or the list.
- Use the Folder Panel to *filter* the book list in the Book List Panel.
E.g. select the Stephen King folder to make the Book List show all King's books.
- Click the root/top folder to show *all* books.
Select the top item in the folder tree to make the Book Panel show
all books in your collection. No need to switch to No Folders mode.
- No Folders Mode? Then no Folder Panel.
Don't want to use folders? No problem, switch to No Folders mode and the
Folder Panel will disappear, resulting in a nice "Classic Mode" view.
- Only two panels: Book List and Book Details, no Folder Panel.
- Folders are "integrated" into the Book List as extra folder rows.
- The Two Panel Layout is available in Horizontal and Vertical versions.
Re-designed Field Selection screens for Sorting, Columns and Folders
- Clearer layout: Available Fields on the left, Selected Fields on the right.
- Easier selection of fields: just drag from left to right to select, from right to left to remove.
- Or use keyboard short-cuts:
- While in Available Fields list: hit Spacebar to move the selected field to the right.
- While in Selected Fields list: hit Del to remove the selected field.
- Manage your Field Presets using the dropdown list and buttons top right (PRO edition only).
- Switch between Presets using the dropdown list.
- Create a new Preset using the plus "+" button.
- Create a copy of the current Preset using the Duplicate button.
- Rename a Preset using the pencil button.
- Remove a Preset using the trash can button.
- Edit Multiple: The field "Printing" was not correctly saved
Version 15.3 build 4 (released on August 13, 2015) :
New settings in Tools / Options to control the sorting
Some users just like to sort Authors by their Firstnames.
Others like to sort titles *including* "The" and "A".
With today's new "Ignore" settings in Tools / Options / Sorting, they finally can:
- Ignore the Sort Names of Person items (e.g. Authors) YES/NO
- Ignore the Sort Title field
- Show Sort Titles instead of Titles
- Memory issue in User Defined Fields code
Version 15.3 build 3 (released on August 05, 2015) :
Further improvements to the Alphabet Bar
- You can now also use the Alphabet Bar to filter on the first letter of Titles.
Use the Settings button on the far right of the bar to switch between Author and Title.
- Hide the Alphabet Bar using the Settings button on the far right of the bar.
(show it again using the command in the View menu)
- Fixed: the folder list also showed the "other" authors of matching multi-author books.
- Import From Text was not working on older OSX versions.
Version 15.3 build 2 (released on July 22, 2015) :
Updated: Alphabet Bar
- Alphabet Bar now uses full width of Main Screen
- Alphabet Bar menu item now toggles between "Show Alphabet Bar" and "Hide Alphabet Bar"
Version 15.3 build 1 (released on July 21, 2015) :
New: Alphabet Bar in main screen
- An A to Z alphabet bar is now available at the top of your main screen.
- Click a letter to quickly filter your book list by the first letter of the author.
- The letter buttons are automatically greyed out if there are no book authors starting with that letter.
- The bar automatically stretches to fit the width of your screen. Wider screen -> bigger buttons.
- Hide/Show the Alphabet Bar using the new option in the View menu.
Version 15.2 build 4 (released on July 13, 2015) :
- Crash when starting on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
Note: this is the final Snow Leopard compatible build.
Support for Snow Leopard will be dropped from future versions!
Version 15.2 build 3 (released on July 08, 2015) :
Tweaks to CLZ Cloud Syncing screen and toolbar buttons.
- CLZ Cloud Syncing screen:
- Login info and CLZ Cloud viewer link now prominently displayed at the top.
- Optional "Do you want to view your CLZ Cloud now?" message after syncing.
- CLZ Cloud toolbar in main screen:
- Sync button now shows Sync Status (red exclamation mark indicating "not in sync").
- New View my CLZ Cloud button (existing users: place on toolbar using View / Toolbar / Customize).
More stable CLZ Barry connections
The built-in CLZ Barry support has been changed to always keep your Barry connection "alive".
No more spontaneous disconnects. Requires CLZ Barry 2.0 (free update for iOS and Android).
Version 15.2 build 2 (released on July 03, 2015) :
- For some users, in the first session after updating to v15.2.1, the User Defined Fields were not visible.
Version 15.2 build 1 (released on July 01, 2015) :
8 more fields added to the CLZ Cloud syncing!
In April, with v15 for PC & Mac and v3 for iOS/Android, we upgraded our Cloud Syncing to be easier, faster and more reliable.
Today, we're making the next step: syncing more fields.
In today's updates to all our book-related tools, we are adding 8 more fields to the CLZ Cloud syncing:
- Dewey Number
- LoC Control Number (LCCN)
- LoC Classification
At the same time, all these 8 fields are now editable in the CLZ Books mobile apps and Book Connect!
Obviously, to synchronize these 8 fields between desktop and mobile, you need today's new versions on both sides:
- Book Collector 15.2 for Windows or Mac
- CLZ Books 3.1 for iOS or Android
ALSO NOTE: after updating your Book Collector desktop software, all book entries that have data in one of the 8 new sync fields will be marked as "Modified", making sure they are synced UP TO the CLZ Cloud next time you sync. So in your first Cloud Sync you may suddenly see lots of books being uploaded, this is expected, intended and necessary :-)
- Preferences: crash on OS X Leopard and Lion.
- Program was crashing on startup when a Folder Set with an empty name was selected.
Version 15.1 build 3 (released on June 03, 2015) :
- Import from Text: ISBN was copied into the Author field.
- CLZ Cloud Sync: Fixed a crash which happened in the Sync screen while it was scrolling down.
Version 15.1 build 1 (released on May 28, 2015) :
Re-Designed Preferences screen
- Navigate between groups of settings using a two-level tree panel on the left
(instead of tabs at the top), which allows for a better categorization of settings.
- All settings have been re-categorized and renamed to make them clearer and easier to find.
New: Import from Text
Import basic book data into Book Collector from other programs:
Upload to CLZ Cloud and Submit to Core features
now automatically resize cover images that are too large
No more failed image uploads because of the 500kb limit. Both the Upload to CLZ Cloud and Submit to Core features now automatically resize images to within 750x750 pixels when uploading.
- Cloud Sync: Items modified by “Re-assign Index Fields" were not seen as changes for the Cloud upload.
- Manage Pick Lists: Crash after editing Display Name for UDF lists.
- Manage Pick Lists: Crash when Adding an item and then cancelling straight away.
- Edit Screen: In some situations, editing a person entry could crash the app.
- Edit Screen: Story Credit Roles were still blinking in editing mode after clicking on Next/Previous.
- Templates / Automation: when setting a rating, Read It Date was not automatically set.
Version 15.0 build 3 (released on May 04, 2015) :
- CLZ Cloud Syncing 2.0: several rare problems with the syncing of cover images.
- Manage User Defined Fields screen: Removing a User Defined field resulted in a program crash.
Version 15.0 build 2 (released on May 01, 2015) :
- New sync protocol crashed on Snow Leopard.
- Add Book Manually: the “Cancel” button was not closing the screen.
- CLZ Barry Scanner: if a book was edited before scanning, the scanned barcode was wrongly added to the previously edited book.
- Manage Pick Lists: fixed a crash on Mavericks.
- Check for Update: wasn't working correctly with an expired license.
- Main List: dates with unspecified day and “January" as month were displaying an incorrect year.
- Saved "Sort Field Sets" are now sorted alphabetically.
Version 15.0 build 1 (released on April 29, 2015) :
Welcome to Book Collector version 15, aka "The Carbon Edition"!
New CLZ Cloud Syncing v2.0
We have completely rewritten the CLZ Cloud syncing mechanism,
to make it easier to use, faster, more reliable and capable of syncing very large databases.
- Easier: One "Synchronize" button that syncs up and/or down as needed.
No more need to choose the sync direction (Up or Down). Just click the single Synchronize button and
the system will automatically upload your local changes and download your cloud-side changes.
- Faster: Sync your additions, changes and removals within a few seconds.
The software now keeps track of your adds, edits and removes, so when synchronizing with the CLZ Cloud,
it already knows which items need to be up- or downloaded, making the actual sync very fast.
( the initial full sync may be slightly slower though, but you only need to do that once )
- More scalable: Transfer very large databases without problems.
The syncing process is now a series of tiny data uploads and downloads, as opposed to
a single huge upload/download. This ensures that databases of any size can be synced.
- More reliable: Solves many problems of the old syncing system.
No more "invalid XML" when uploading large collections, no more changes that keep recurring every sync.
No more starting from scratch in case of connection problems, just continue where you left off.
New "Carbon" template for the details panels
- 4 different styles: Carbon Dark, Carbon Light, Plain Dark and Plain Light.
- Fully adaptive to the width of the details panel, to always make best use of the available space.
New Carbon Shelves style for the Images View
A new carbon look shelves style to match the Carbon template.
Version Cobalt.9 build 4 (released on March 30, 2015) :
- Find Cover screen: cropping didn't work.
- Sometimes “Manage Pick List” screen was crashing and it was not possible to open it anymore.
- Detail View was blank when using special characters in the Field Names.
Version Cobalt.9 build 3 (released on March 16, 2015) :
- Edit Screen: Persons Tables: Cells were not correctly aligned with the columns.
- Manage Pick Lists:
- After adding a duplicate, an empty row was added to the list.
- Sort order is now case insensitive.
- Database Totals didn't always show the real "totals".
- Main Menu:
- File > Export to Text was sometimes greyed out.
- File > Save Database As.. was very slow.
- Column Feld Selection Screen: Duplicate Columns Set: some columns were wrongly checked.
Version Cobalt.9 build 2 (released on February 26, 2015) :
- Preferences Screen: "Automatically Increment Index" Yes/No didn't save correctly.
- Fixed an issue with handling barcodes from OPN-2001 scanner.
- Add / Link Files: Hidden "Already Linked Files" were added anyway when clicking "Batch Add Checked"
- Upload Cover to CLZ Cloud: Replaced "Invalid Action" error with something more understandable.
- Loan Manager: Default Loan Period wasn't saved correctly.
Version Cobalt.9 build 1 (released on February 12, 2015) :
Edit Book/Contents: Easier adding and managing of Authors and other "person" fieldsA new user interface for adding new Author entries and managing their First and Last Names
straight from the Edit Book and Edit Contents screens, without opening the Tools / Manage Pick Lists screen.
Instead, REMOVE the Author (bin icon), then ADD the other Author using the "Search box" at the top of the author grid.
- Screen wide multi-column tables for Authors, Credits and Characters in Edit Book and Edit Content screens.
- Tables show multiple columns with Display Name, First/Last Names and Sort Names (and a Pseudonym column where needed).
- How to Add Authors to your Book:
Add new entries using a new search box above the table, that auto-filters the pick lists as you type.
- Directly edit First and Last Names in the table, without opening the Manage Pick Lists screen.
- Or click the Edit (pencil) button in front of a name to directly edit the item inside the Manage Pick Lists screen.
- Easy re-ordering of entries by dragging the "drag" icon in the 1st columns.
- Easy removal of entries using the Delete (bin) icons on each row (in the last column).
- Direct access to relevant pick lists manage screen using the "Manage ... List" button top right.
The Manage Pick Lists screen will automatically select the entry that was selected in the Edit screen.
Adaptive layout of Edit Book and Edit Content screensNo more useless grey areas on big screens!
- The layouts of all tabs in the Edit Book and Edit Content screens are now adapting to fit the size of the screen.
- Edit boxes and drop down list get wider when you make your Edit screen wider.
- Checkbox list and multi-value grids get higher (and wider) when increasing the size of your Edit screen.
New List Selector panel in Tools / Manage Pick Lists screen
- Tools / Edit Lists is now called Manage Picks Lists.
- New list selection panel on the left replaces drop down menu.
- New "Favorites" area for your most commonly used lists (defaults to Persons, Labels and Genres)
- Drag and drop to and from Favorites area to create your own Favorites list.
- It is now possible to delete pick list items that are still in use (#Used > 0),
without having to hunt down all places where the value is used.
- Choose Remove on an item, answer Yes to the "Delete anyway?" question,
and the program will automatically clear this value in all fields where it was in use.
Find Image screen now available for Box Sets
You can now use the "Find Cover" screen on the images tab of the Edit Box Set screen.
New Folder option for "Author First Letter"
Use the blue folder button and choose "Author First Letter" to group your authors on their first letter.
More consistent Core / Cloud terminology
- "Update Books Automatically" is now called "Update from Core".
- "Link Books" is now called "Link with Core".
- "Unlink Books" is now called "Unlink from Core".
- "Upload Cover for Selected Book" is now called "Upload Cover to CLZ Cloud".
- Automation: Read It automatically gets set if you enter Reading Date or Rating.
- Synchronise with CLZ Cloud: “Upload new fields first” message was displaying even with a new empty database.
- Edit Book screen: now allows incremental search for Checkbox List fields.
- Print Panel: wasn't always displaying the paper orientation.
- User Defined Fields: Blank field names not allowed anymore.
- User Defined Fields: Autocomplete was not working for some fields.
- User Defined Fields were not properly removed.
- XML Import: Covers were not imported.
- Quick Search: Duplicated items sometimes didn't show.
Version Cobalt.8 build 5 (released on November 24, 2014) :
- After scanning a barcode, add automatically screen was not displaying the barcodes tab view.
- Statistics: Some bars from the bar statistics were hidden.
- Edit Lists: Next / Previous buttons were not working correctly.
- Templates: Cover Price didn't have a currency symbol.
Version Cobalt.8 build 4 (released on November 14, 2014) :
Improved Find Image screen
- More logical layout, with search box top left.
- Better looking thumbnail and preview area.
- New setting "Auto search when screen opens (Yes/No)" in Preferences, that lets you disable the automatic searching each time you open the screen.
- New: Stop searches and preview actions that take too long.
New options for Folder fields
- Read It (Yes/No)
- In trial mode, the Login screen popped up after every search in the Add Auto screen.
Version Cobalt.8 build 3 (released on November 10, 2014) :
- Crashes when removing books.
Version Cobalt.8 build 2 (released on November 06, 2014) :
- On Yosemite, none of the "open file", "save file", or "select folder" worked.
(for example, Open Database, Save Database, Browse for Images, etc...)
Version Cobalt.8 build 1 (released on November 05, 2014) :
Quick Search feature now searches more fields
- URLs of all links
- Book Content Data
New setting for Add Auto screen: Edit After AddMakes the Edit Book screen open automatically after adding a new book using the Add Books Automatically screen.
(only when adding one book in Direct Search mode, this setting has no effect on Queue Mode)
- When the list panel shows folders, the column header said "DisplayName". Now show the field name of the current folder field.
- Templates: User Defined date fields were not displaying in your configured System Date Format.
- Templates: Story level User Defined Fields were not displayed correctly.
Version Cobalt.7 build 3 (released on October 23, 2014) :
Yosemite compatibilityMultiple changes to make Book Collector fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 / Yosemite,
for example: Clicking a cover image in the Details Panel didn't work anymore.
- Main Screen / Images View: Crashes when displaying Stories.
Version Cobalt.7 build 2 (released on October 13, 2014) :
New: Connect / Core / CLZ Cloud 2.0 supportSome changes to prepare for the upcoming 2.0 versions of Connect, the public CLZ Cloud pages and the Core site.
- "My public collection" link in CLZ Cloud Syncing screen now points to the new cloud.collectorz.com site.
- User Defined Fields: Crashes on OS X 10.7 when adding a new field in the Manage UDF screen.
- User Defined Fields: Fields without field name would crash the app when opening the “Manage User Defined Fields” screen or the edit screen.
- CLZ Cloud syncing: crashes when uploading cover images.
Version Cobalt.7 build 1 (released on September 22, 2014) :
Improved Edit Lists screen (Tools menu -> Edit Lists)
- New: Quick Search
- Quickly find the list items you want using the new Quick Search box on the top right.
- The list instantly filters as you type, no need to hit the Enter key.
- New: Edit directly in the list screen.
Edit item names and other properties directly in the item list screen, no need to open the Edit screen.
- Use the Edit in List button to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the item list to edit it.
- Blue columns are editable, greyed out columns are not
(for read-only fields like ID and automatically generated values like Sort Name).
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes.
Fixed for the new User Defined Fields system:
- Several performance problems caused by the new UDF system.
- Crashes when closing the Manage UDF screen.
- Edit Multiple would clear Text and Pick List values.
- Edit Multiple would not always save correct values for Checkbox List fields.
- Using reserved XML characters like ‘<‘ and ‘&’ in user defined values broke the template and the value wasn’t saved.
- Synchronise with CLZ Cloud: program crashes while generating long item lists.
- Main List: horizontal 'rubber-banding’ was causing issues for laptop user's gestures.
- Folders: When selecting Edition folder, books were not displayed in the main list.
- Main List: When using Cmd + R to select a random book, the same sequences of books would be selected each time.
Version Cobalt.5 build 1 (released on September 08, 2014) :
New: Unlimited User Defined Fields (PRO edition only!)
- Use the new Manage User Defined Field screen (Tools menu) to create your own data fields, of any type, in any order and as many as you want.
- Choose from the following field types:
- Pick List
- Number (whole)
- Number (decimals)
- Checkbox (yes/no)
- Checkbox List
- All fields you define will appear on their own tab in the Edit Book screen.
- User Defined fields work like any other field. You can:
- Set Default Values.
- Add them as Columns to your main screen lists.
- Use them as Sort field.
- Select Pick List and Multi-Value fields as the Folder field.
- Search them using the Quick Search feature.
- View their data under their own header in the Details Panel template.
- Define your own "Header" name, which is used as the tab name in the Edit Book screen and as the header in the template.
- Any existing User Defined fields from the old version will automatically be converted into the new version (only fields that actually contain data).
Version Cobalt.4 build 3 (released on August 18, 2014) :
- Export to CLZ Books: Authors with birth dates were not correctly displayed in the mobile folders list.
- Import from old version 3 databases was not working correctly.
Version Cobalt.4 build 2 (released on July 28, 2014) :
- Preferences panel was occasionally disappearing when clicking on License > Password field.
- Details: Templates were occasionally broken by hidden characters inserted in the text fields.
- Main Menu: Buy > Unlock Software: If the database window was not open, popup did not show up.
- Person entries with ID zero could occur in the database, causing problems when Exporting to CLZ Books.
Version Cobalt.4 build 1 (released on July 14, 2014) :
New: Full screen mode (on Lion and Mavericks)
- Now supports the Mac OS X standard Full Screen Mode (introduced in OS X Lion).
- To expand to full screen, click the arrows in the top-right corner of the app window.
- To return to standard view, move the pointer to the top-right corner of the screen
until the menu bar appears, and then click the arrows.
Edit Book: easier adding of Authors and Credits
- When entering the name of an author or other book credit (Translator, Editor, Illustrator, etc..),
the pick list now filters the list using the letters you typed. (as opposed to jumping to the first matching item).
- This makes the drop down list more useful, as it now only shows a short list of matching items,
instead of tens of thousands of person names in a tiny box.
- On top of that, it avoids having to load the long list of names, making the Edit screen much faster.
- New database structure which will slightly improve the performance of most database actions,
and, more importantly, will make future database conversions much faster and more stable.
- However: this new database structure will cause one last slow conversion for this update,
which may take up to 15 minutes for large databases. Please do not close the software before it completes!
- Edit Book screen now opens much faster, especially on large databases with many authors and book credits.
Version Cobalt.3 build 3 (released on June 23, 2014) :
- Sync with CLZ Cloud / Upload Covers: Users are now notified when a cover is too big to upload.
- Update File Links: App was occasionally crashing after clicking on "Manual".
- Edit Book: Possible data corruption problems when clicking "Next" and "Previous" buttons extremely quickly.
- Templates: User Templates were not working anymore.
- Main screen / Edit In list: Date popups were not displaying the correct date
- App was freezing when switching to the statistics view on Retina Display MacBooks.
- For some users, the previous build was freezing right after starting the program.
Version Cobalt.3 build 2 (released on April 22, 2014) :
- Edit Screen: remove Author didn’t work.
- Main screen: Occasional Crash caused by the column "Original Title".
- Tools > “My CLZ Account”: “Expiration date” wasn’t displaying.
Version Cobalt.3 build 1 (released on April 08, 2014) :
WARNING: OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher REQUIRED!!Starting with this build, Book Collector is NOT COMPATIBLE with OS X 10.5 (Leopard) anymore.
To run this version, you need OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher.
New: Add/Link eBook Files by scanning your computer
- Scan your folders for book files (eBooks and/or Audio Books).
- Add the found books to your database in batch, with the book files automatically added under Links.
- Automatically reads meta-data from supported formats.
- Supported e-book formats for meta-data reading: Kindle, MobiPocket and ePub.
- Support meta-data fields: Author, Title, Plot, ISBN, Publisher and Publication Date.
- Then use Update Books Automatically to download book information
(like publisher, plot & cover image) from the Collectorz.com online database.
- Or, link the found book files to existing entries in your database.
- Use the new Open button in the Details View to open the eBook file or play the Audio Book in your favorite player.
Add Books Automatically: Now recognizes 23 million ISBNs!
- A new, secondary ISBN lookup data source has been added to our online book database.
- The new database includes 13 million new ISBNs, plus extra data for 5 million books in our existing database.
- This brings the total number of ISBNs recognized by our own database to 23 million!
( on top of that, our system still use all back-end lookup sources, like Library of Congress, Google Books, etc...)
- This new secondary ISBN lookup database is now automatically used when you add books by ISBN,
and will result in improved success rates on ISBN searches.
Add Books Automatically: New Cobalt Compact template for Preview panel
- The new Cobalt Compact template has been especially designed for the task at hand:
selecting the correct book and edition from the search results.
- Clearly showing the identifying edition information near the top (Author, Title, ISBN, Publisher, Publication Year).
- Toggle between Front and Back with the "flip" icon that appears when hovering over the cover image.
- Responsive design makes the template usable and good looking, whatever the width of your Preview panel is.
- Available in both Light and Dark styles.
- Main screen: fixed several issues with the layout settings.
- Add Books Automatically: auto-increment of the Index field wasn’t working correctly.
- Synchronize with CLZ Cloud: “Download From CLZ Cloud” button was disabled after creating a new database.
- Export to Text File was grayed out while in Folder mode.
- Main Screen: Confirm Remove item popup had a layout issue with long titles.
Version Cobalt.2 build 3 (released on January 20, 2014) :
- Find Cover Image screen would freeze up on some searches.
- Add Auto: The Author drop down list didn't follow the "Last name, First name" setting.
- Edit Screen / Crew list: Roles list did not show customized field names for user defined roles.
- Settings / License : Crash after removing password only.
Version Cobalt.2 build 2 (released on December 30, 2013) :
- Link screen: Edit search Criteria. OK button was unresponsive to Enter keyboard button.
- Link screen: Preview was not always updated after selection changed.
- Loan Manager: Loaners weren't displayed in the list.
- Loan Manager: "Loan" button wasn't always enabled.
- Edit Lists: Authors: pseudonym drop down list didn't allow incremental search.
- Add Auto Screen: Preview was not updated correctly after closing and re-opening the screen
Version Cobalt.2 build 1 (released on December 09, 2013) :
New: Fix broken file paths using the Update File Links feature
- Use Tools / Maintenance / Update File Links to fix the file paths for images and other files.
(e.g. after you have moved files to a different location on your computer or after renaming a folder).
- Choose the File Type on the top right, and the screen will automatically show the missing files.
- Select the file links you want to repair, then choose the Automatic or Manual method of setting the new file path.
- Automatic will search your hard disk for the missing files automatically.
- Manual lets you set the new location manually.
New: Move your images into or out of the database fileOur software has always let you decide where to store your images:
either inside the database file, or outside of the database file, in a specified location on your computer.
This new maintenance command lets you modify this setting afterwards
and move files into the database file, or move them out of the database file.
- Loan Manager: Loaners list was not sorted alphabetically.
- Tools / Edit Lists: "Language" item was displayed twice.
Version Cobalt.1 build 2 (released on November 26, 2013) :
- Add Auto: Author box is now bigger.
- Edit Book: Contents popup: Fixed availability of Next button when adding new stories
- Templates: Read it field was not correctly updated.
Version Cobalt.1 build 1 (released on November 14, 2013) :
New: Easier Author entry in Add Books Automatically
- The Author entry box in the Add Books Automatically now has a drop-down list
including all Author entries in your existing database.
- When typing in the box, it now "auto-completes" to any existing entries.
New: Support for "979 ISBNs"
- Book Collector now recognizes the new 13-digit "979" ISBNs as valid ISBN numbers.
- The central online book database is now able to deliver book data for the new "979" ISBNs.
Version Cobalt.0 build 2 (released on November 06, 2013) :
- Edit in List feature now also allows the editing of all Credits type (Translator, Illustrator, Editor, etc..)
- "Read It" value was erroneously updated after using Edit Multiple Books.
- Problems validating License Keys containing zeroes.
Version Cobalt.0 build 1 (released on October 24, 2013) :
New: Edit directly in the main screen book listEasily make quick changes to your book entries, right in the main screen list. No need to open the Edit Book screen.
- Use the Edit in List button (top right) to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the book list to edit it.
- Blue columns are editable, greyed out columns are not (for read-only fields like ID)
- Directly edit text fields (like Title), choose from a dropdown for picklist fields (like Format, Publisher), use a checklist for multi-value fields (like Genres, Subjects) or pick a date from a calendar for date fields.
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes (for instance, book may move to a different folder when changing Author, Publisher, Genre, etc...)
New system for License Checks and Check for Updates
- New Software Unlock system
Previously, unlocking the trial edition into the licensed Standard or Pro edition was done by entering a License Name and License Key into the software. Not anymore!
Starting with the Cobalt versions, the only thing you need to do is login to the software with your CLZ Account (if you haven't done so already for cloud syncing). The program will automatically "know" which edition (Standard or Pro) you own.
- New Check for Updates system
Similarly, the new Cobalt versions will use your CLZ Account to give you a smarter Check for Updates system, showing you exactly which updates you are allowed to install with your current Update Plan, also automatically unlocking them after upgrading/updating.
Version 9.0 build 1 (released on May 01, 2013) :
- Author images
- Links to the author's page on Wikipedia (stored in a new "Wiki URL" field, preserving your own Author URLs)
- Birth and death dates and cities
These images, links and dates are delivered directly and automatically from the
Collectorz.com central online book database, no special action required.
And yes, you can use Update Books Automatically to get the
new images, links and dates for the existing book entries in your database.
The new author information is displayed in a new horizontal "Author panel" in the new Vee Nine and Blockz templates.
We have improved the look of the Images View in the main screen, you know, the one that shows the cover image thumbnails.
It now shows "Virtual Shelves" in multiple shelve styles. Choose from 5 different looks:
- Wood (light)
- Wood (dark)
- Classic (No shelves)
And the other ones:
- Report missing books:
In Add Books Automatically, when an ISBN is not found, you are now able to immediately add the book to our central database. After adding it to Core, just repeat your ISBN search to retrieve the data you entered for your local Book Collector database.
- Report book data errors:
Click the red "Report data error" in Add Automatically to report errors in our central data. Your error reports are queued and processed by our content managers as soon as possible.
- Submit to Core
Choose Submit to Core from the Connect menu or use button in Edit Book to submit your local data to the central online database.
- The "By ISBN" and "By Author/Title" and "By LCCN" options are now on completely separate tabs.
- "By ISBN" tab now includes integrated support for the CLZ Barry wireless barcode scanner app.
- Settings, Check Connection and Help buttons have been moved to the top right.
- The "Add" buttons are now where they belong: bottom left, under the Search Results.
- New links to directly report missing entries and data errors to Core.
- Set your own image for any list item, e.g. for Formats, Languages...
- Set a 16x16 image that will appear in the tree and list on main screen.
- Set a larger template image for use in Details Panel templates.
For example: here's how you could set your own images for the Country list:
- Book Collector now comes with pick list images that are
automatically used in the tree, list and Details Panel templates, for the following fields:
- When using CLZ Barry with Book Collector, you don't need the
"Buddy for Barry" software anymore.
In other words, Buddy is now integrated into Book Collector.
- Connect with CLZ Barry right from Book Collector's main toolbar
and from the Add Books Automatically screen (on the "By Barcode" tab).
- CLZ Barry is available for iPhone, iPad and Android.
Click here for more information about CLZ Barry.
The "Collectorz Blue" look of the toolbar has now been implemented everywhere, resulting in a look that is more consistent and easier on the eye:
several color styles to choose from and some cool new features:
- Large front cover image, that "flips" to show the back cover.
- Full support for Author images, Wiki-links and Birth/Death info.
- Fixed length Plot display for a cleaner layout.
Click "Show More" / "Show Less" links to expand/collapse full plot.
- Click Read It "eye" icon to toggle Read It between Yes and No.
Vee Nine is based on the Book Collector Connect look.
It uses a fixed width for the book details (minimum width 700 pixels),
with the book backdrop taking up the rest of the space.
The Blockz template has several colored blocks with your data.
Blockz comes in three styles: Collectorz Colors, Backdrop and the easy-on-the-eye Dark style.