Book Collector for Mac OS X updates
What's new in Book Collector for Mac OS X ?
Version Cobalt.3 build 1 (released on April 08, 2014) :
WARNING: OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher REQUIRED!!Starting with this build, Book Collector is NOT COMPATIBLE with OS X 10.5 (Leopard) anymore.
To run this version, you need OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher.
New: Add/Link eBook Files by scanning your computer
- Scan your folders for book files (eBooks and/or Audio Books).
- Add the found books to your database in batch, with the book files automatically added under Links.
- Automatically reads meta-data from supported formats.
- Supported e-book formats for meta-data reading: Kindle, MobiPocket and ePub.
- Support meta-data fields: Author, Title, Plot, ISBN, Publisher and Publication Date.
- Then use Update Books Automatically to download book information
(like publisher, plot & cover image) from the Collectorz.com online database.
- Or, link the found book files to existing entries in your database.
- Use the new Open button in the Details View to open the eBook file or play the Audio Book in your favorite player.
Add Books Automatically: Now recognizes 23 million ISBNs!
- A new, secondary ISBN lookup data source has been added to our online book database.
- The new database includes 13 million new ISBNs, plus extra data for 5 million books in our existing database.
- This brings the total number of ISBNs recognized by our own database to 23 million!
( on top of that, our system still use all back-end lookup sources, like Library of Congress, Google Books, etc...)
- This new secondary ISBN lookup database is now automatically used when you add books by ISBN,
and will result in improved success rates on ISBN searches.
Add Books Automatically: New Cobalt Compact template for Preview panel
- The new Cobalt Compact template has been especially designed for the task at hand:
selecting the correct book and edition from the search results.
- Clearly showing the identifying edition information near the top (Author, Title, ISBN, Publisher, Publication Year).
- Toggle between Front and Back with the "flip" icon that appears when hovering over the cover image.
- Responsive design makes the template usable and good looking, whatever the width of your Preview panel is.
- Available in both Light and Dark styles.
- Main screen: fixed several issues with the layout settings.
- Add Books Automatically: auto-increment of the Index field wasn’t working correctly.
- Synchronize with CLZ Cloud: “Download From CLZ Cloud” button was disabled after creating a new database.
- Export to Text File was grayed out while in Folder mode.
- Main Screen: Confirm Remove item popup had a layout issue with long titles.
Version Cobalt.2 build 3 (released on January 20, 2014) :
- Find Cover Image screen would freeze up on some searches.
- Add Auto: The Author drop down list didn't follow the "Last name, First name" setting.
- Edit Screen / Crew list: Roles list did not show customized field names for user defined roles.
- Settings / License : Crash after removing password only.
Version Cobalt.2 build 2 (released on December 30, 2013) :
- Link screen: Edit search Criteria. OK button was unresponsive to Enter keyboard button.
- Link screen: Preview was not always updated after selection changed.
- Loan Manager: Loaners weren't displayed in the list.
- Loan Manager: "Loan" button wasn't always enabled.
- Edit Lists: Authors: pseudonym drop down list didn't allow incremental search.
- Add Auto Screen: Preview was not updated correctly after closing and re-opening the screen
Version Cobalt.2 build 1 (released on December 09, 2013) :
New: Fix broken file paths using the Update File Links feature
- Use Tools / Maintenance / Update File Links to fix the file paths for images and other files.
(e.g. after you have moved files to a different location on your computer or after renaming a folder).
- Choose the File Type on the top right, and the screen will automatically show the missing files.
- Select the file links you want to repair, then choose the Automatic or Manual method of setting the new file path.
- Automatic will search your hard disk for the missing files automatically.
- Manual lets you set the new location manually.
New: Move your images into or out of the database fileOur software has always let you decide where to store your images:
either inside the database file, or outside of the database file, in a specified location on your computer.
This new maintenance command lets you modify this setting afterwards
and move files into the database file, or move them out of the database file.
- Loan Manager: Loaners list was not sorted alphabetically.
- Tools / Edit Lists: "Language" item was displayed twice.
Version Cobalt.1 build 2 (released on November 26, 2013) :
- Add Auto: Author box is now bigger.
- Edit Book: Contents popup: Fixed availability of Next button when adding new stories
- Templates: Read it field was not correctly updated.
Version Cobalt.1 build 1 (released on November 14, 2013) :
New: Easier Author entry in Add Books Automatically
- The Author entry box in the Add Books Automatically now has a drop-down list
including all Author entries in your existing database.
- When typing in the box, it now "auto-completes" to any existing entries.
New: Support for "979 ISBNs"
- Book Collector now recognizes the new 13-digit "979" ISBNs as valid ISBN numbers.
- The central online book database is now able to deliver book data for the new "979" ISBNs.
Version Cobalt.0 build 2 (released on November 06, 2013) :
- Edit in List feature now also allows the editing of all Credits type (Translator, Illustrator, Editor, etc..)
- "Read It" value was erroneously updated after using Edit Multiple Books.
- Problems validating License Keys containing zeroes.
Version Cobalt.0 build 1 (released on October 24, 2013) :
New: Edit directly in the main screen book listEasily make quick changes to your book entries, right in the main screen list. No need to open the Edit Book screen.
- Use the Edit in List button (top right) to switch to "Edit Mode".
- While in Edit Mode, just click a value in the book list to edit it.
- Blue columns are editable, greyed out columns are not (for read-only fields like ID)
- Directly edit text fields (like Title), choose from a dropdown for picklist fields (like Format, Publisher), use a checklist for multi-value fields (like Genres, Subjects) or pick a date from a calendar for date fields.
- Exit Edit Mode by clicking the same button again and the screen will refresh to reflect your changes (for instance, book may move to a different folder when changing Author, Publisher, Genre, etc...)
New system for License Checks and Check for Updates
- New Software Unlock system
Previously, unlocking the trial edition into the licensed Standard or Pro edition was done by entering a License Name and License Key into the software. Not anymore!
Starting with the Cobalt versions, the only thing you need to do is login to the software with your CLZ Account (if you haven't done so already for cloud syncing). The program will automatically "know" which edition (Standard or Pro) you own.
- New Check for Updates system
Similarly, the new Cobalt versions will use your CLZ Account to give you a smarter Check for Updates system, showing you exactly which updates you are allowed to install with your current Update Plan, also automatically unlocking them after upgrading/updating.
Version 9.0 build 1 (released on May 01, 2013) :
- Author images
- Links to the author's page on Wikipedia (stored in a new "Wiki URL" field, preserving your own Author URLs)
- Birth and death dates and cities
These images, links and dates are delivered directly and automatically from the
Collectorz.com central online book database, no special action required.
And yes, you can use Update Books Automatically to get the
new images, links and dates for the existing book entries in your database.
The new author information is displayed in a new horizontal "Author panel" in the new Vee Nine and Blockz templates.
We have improved the look of the Images View in the main screen, you know, the one that shows the cover image thumbnails.
It now shows "Virtual Shelves" in multiple shelve styles. Choose from 5 different looks:
- Wood (light)
- Wood (dark)
- Classic (No shelves)
And the other ones:
- Report missing books:
In Add Books Automatically, when an ISBN is not found, you are now able to immediately add the book to our central database. After adding it to Core, just repeat your ISBN search to retrieve the data you entered for your local Book Collector database.
- Report book data errors:
Click the red "Report data error" in Add Automatically to report errors in our central data. Your error reports are queued and processed by our content managers as soon as possible.
- Submit to Core
Choose Submit to Core from the Connect menu or use button in Edit Book to submit your local data to the central online database.
- The "By ISBN" and "By Author/Title" and "By LCCN" options are now on completely separate tabs.
- "By ISBN" tab now includes integrated support for the CLZ Barry wireless barcode scanner app.
- Settings, Check Connection and Help buttons have been moved to the top right.
- The "Add" buttons are now where they belong: bottom left, under the Search Results.
- New links to directly report missing entries and data errors to Core.
- Set your own image for any list item, e.g. for Formats, Languages...
- Set a 16x16 image that will appear in the tree and list on main screen.
- Set a larger template image for use in Details Panel templates.
For example: here's how you could set your own images for the Country list:
- Book Collector now comes with pick list images that are
automatically used in the tree, list and Details Panel templates, for the following fields:
- When using CLZ Barry with Book Collector, you don't need the
"Buddy for Barry" software anymore.
In other words, Buddy is now integrated into Book Collector.
- Connect with CLZ Barry right from Book Collector's main toolbar
and from the Add Books Automatically screen (on the "By Barcode" tab).
- CLZ Barry is available for iPhone, iPad and Android.
Click here for more information about CLZ Barry.
The "Collectorz Blue" look of the toolbar has now been implemented everywhere, resulting in a look that is more consistent and easier on the eye:
several color styles to choose from and some cool new features:
- Large front cover image, that "flips" to show the back cover.
- Full support for Author images, Wiki-links and Birth/Death info.
- Fixed length Plot display for a cleaner layout.
Click "Show More" / "Show Less" links to expand/collapse full plot.
- Click Read It "eye" icon to toggle Read It between Yes and No.
Vee Nine is based on the Book Collector Connect look.
It uses a fixed width for the book details (minimum width 700 pixels),
with the book backdrop taking up the rest of the space.
The Blockz template has several colored blocks with your data.
Blockz comes in three styles: Collectorz Colors, Backdrop and the easy-on-the-eye Dark style.