It’s a short month, so here I (Alwin) am already, with the Feb ’14 edition of the CLZ Newsletter. Today’s newsletter will focus on one of our customers, Michael Thomasson, who has attained the official Guiness World Record for “Largest Video Game Collection”!
But first, let me give you a super-compact overview of what the CLZ Team is working on at the moment:
- Robbert and Ronald: Updates for all Windows editions, with a new Cobalt Compact template for Add Auto, plus other program-specific new features.
Their Movie Collector update is already live, more info below.
- Pim and AJ: CLZ Movies 2.0 for Android. Add Movies screen is finished (inc barcode scanning!), working on Edit screen and two-way CLZ Cloud syncing now.
- Patrick: Big update of Book Collector for Mac, with automatic e-book cataloging features and the new Cobalt Compact templates for Add Auto.
- Robbert and Dion: a complete redesign of Connect, with a more modern look that automatically adapts to desktop, tablet and phone screens.
- Rowdy and Martin: Quality checking all movie and edition cover images in our online movie database, replacing all small and low-quality images with better ones.
- Chris: A complete rewrite of all manuals of our Windows and Mac editions, using our own online manual software Manula.
Okay, on to the biggest video game collection… in the world…
Our longtime competitor FNProgramvare (the maker of CATVids) has ceased operations. We received loads of requests from current CATVids users, seeking an alternative, for an import feature.
We have created and released a dedicated import routine for CATVids users, wanting to switch to Movie Collector. This import feature is available in version Cobalt.3 build 1 and up, released January 9.
Great Canadian Reviews, the source for independent evaluations of computer products, reviewed Movie Collector.
The conclusion: “Movie Collector’s ease of use, multiple application functions and faultless operation has earned it Great Canadian Reviews Highest Award, The Gold Leaf Award for Excellence.”
WOW! Thanks for the honor.
You can read the entire article here.
A very nice review of Book and Movie Collector on Sunilification. Here is a quote from it:
“Friends and readers would be aware of my woes of cataloguing books, DVDs and Blu Rays. I don’t own too many, roughly about 1200 books and 500 DVDs, but managing them can be a nightmare. Especially when items are regularly borrowed and returned. It took me a while to remember who hadn’t returned my copy of White Teeth or the original Festen.
For a long time now, I have been seeking a software to catalogue them or a barcode scanner that can scan and update the status of items when they are added or borrowed ( a la a public library). So far, I didn’t find anything that was complete or met all of my needs.
Last month, a friend suggested Collectorz. A visit on to their website and checking out the features of their products convinced me that they had what I was looking for. I have been using it over last couple of months and it runs like a dream. I think for people like me, who collect and manage books, I can’t recommend it enough.”
Read the complete review here.
We have just released version 9 for Movie Collector Mac OS X.
Version 9 gives you automatic images and IMDb links for actors & directors, Core for Movies support, improved Update Auto feature, custom item images plus a full cosmetic overhaul: Virtual Shelves, new templates, new icons, etc…
A small, but recommended, maintenance update of Movie Collector 9 for Windows has just been released.
- Update Automatically: sometimes actor image links would disappear
- Main Screen: sorting on IMDB rating was very slow
- Quick Search: cast and crew names weren’t always searched correctly depending on the “Show Names as Last Name, First Name” option
- Edit Lists: ID column was never showing values
- Templates: movie poster or backdrop weren’t showing when movie had no links.
To update, just use Help > Check for Updates in your current version of Movie Collector.
Mac users, good news!
A new major version of Movie Collector for Mac, version NINE, is coming soon!
Yesterday we have revealed the first v9 feature to the members of our MOVIE9MAC Preview Club.
It is up on our Preview Page now, with screenshots.
This is your last chance to become a member of this MOVIE9MAC Preview club.
Just click this link, then use the form to join.
Version NINE of Movie Collector for Mac OS X is coming soon.
We’re currently aiming for early April 2013.
What will be new, you ask?
Well, if you have been following the news about the Windows counterpart, you already have a good idea of what to expect of this Mac edition. If not, here’s a sneak preview screen shot with some hints:
These new updates come highly recommended to all our existing Mac users.
Make sure to install the updates!
Use menu [name of app] Collector>Check for Updates to update to:
- Book Collector 8.2.1, released January 24
- Comic Collector 5.3.4, released February 5
- Movie Collector 8.3.2, released February 6
- Music Collector 10.2.2, released February 14
Our Mac programmer does not stop here of course. He is steadily working on a major upgrade for Movie Collector, version 9!
Keep an eye out for news about this upcoming major upgrade.
Version 9 will give you automatic images and IMDb links for actors & directors, full Unicode support, an improved main screen, Core for Movies support, plus a full cosmetic overhaul: Virtual Shelves, new icons, new templates, etc…
A few weeks ago we launched the first part of Core for Movies, Reporting Missing Movies. Today, it is time for part 2:
Report Missing Barcodes
The Report Missing Barcode section of Core lets you add missing barcodes to our online movie database, by selecting the movie the barcode belongs to.
How to Report Missing Barcodes?
First, go to the Core for Movies – Missing Barcodes page, and login to your Connect account.
Then, simply follow this three-step process: More »
- [CLZ News] Introducing the new CLZ Help Center: Help.CLZ.com
- [CLZ News] Manage your software on the new My.CLZ.com
- [CLZ News] Track list syncing for music / 2 new CLZ team members
- [CLZ News] Material for Android / Comic search improvements / macOS Sierra
- [CLZ News] We’re on a roll, lots of releases coming up!