Even though it’s been summer vacation time for several CLZ team members, we’ve been able to push out several huge releases, the most popular of which (by far) was the new Alphabet Bar. But don’t forget the huge book cloud update and CLZ Barry 2.0!
These are the topics of today’s newsletter, discussing all July releases and what’s cooking at the CLZ HQ at this very moment:
- CLZ Cloud 2.1 for Books: Sync your *own* data for 8 extra book fields
- CLZ Barry 2.0 for iOS and Android
- New “Alphabet Bar” in all 15.3 versions for PC & Mac
- Sharper Cover Thumbnails in all v15.3 versions for Windows
- Further improvements to Connect and the CLZ Cloud viewers
- What’s Cooking?
Despite the current heat wave in the Netherlands, the work on all our cataloging solutions is continuing.
This is the June 2015 edition of the CLZ Newsletter, with full details on last month’s releases, plus a quick overview of What’s Cooking:
- The final 3.0 app for Android is live: CLZ Music!
- Report movie data errors and missing movies to Core.
- New: “What’s New” blog for Connect & the CLZ Cloud viewer.
- What’s cooking? This is coming up next month.
At Collectorz.com customer support, we’re regularly seeing confusion about Core, Cloud and Connect, the 3 C’s of Collectorz.com online. So I figured I’d write a clear explanation.
Here it is (including a sneak preview of next week’s Christmas Sale):
It’s been an ongoing project at our CLZ HQ for a long time, but now it is finally live, Connect 2.0!
Connect 2.0 is a completely revamped version of our web-based collection cataloging solutions.
The goal of this new version:
- Introduce a more modern look and feel.
- Support all screen sizes (desktop and mobile) with one app.
- Re-think the user interface to make it more logical and intuitive.
Here’s an overview of what’s new:
The first CLZ Newsletter of 2014! So let me (Alwin) start with this month’s biggest news: We hired two new web-developers!
Early this month, we welcomed Bart and Dion to the CLZ team. Both are still students which means they will be working with us for just 2 days a week now. If all goes well, they will complete their studies later this year and will then join Collectorz.com full time.
Bart and Dion have joined senior developer Robbert on a huge project : a complete rewrite of Connect. All five Connect web-applications will get a more modern look and a responsive design that will automatically adapt to all screen sizes: desktops, tablets and phones.
We expect to be working on this for at least the next 3 months. I will try post regular updates on Facebook with screen shots of our progress.
Now, let’s go over this months releases:
- Big 2.5 updates for all 5 CLZ iOS apps
- CLZ Movies 1.6 for Android, with CLZ Cloud syncing
- New Tools / Options screen for all Cobalt versions for Windows
- Editing in main list now available for all Cobalt versions
- New naming : CLZ Account and CLZ Cloud
- CLZ Cloud storage and syncing is now free for everyone!
- Coming soon: Improved CLZ Cloud syncing with custom images and more data fields
Hectic times here at the CLZ office in Amsterdam. We’ve completed some big releases and started on a couple of huge other projects. Some of which I will disclose in this newsletter (we’re back on Android!!), but others I have to keep quiet about for now.
First, here’s the new stuff we’ve launched this month:
- CLZ Barry for Android version 1.1
- Book Collector NINE for Mac OS X
- Core for Comics / Comic Collector 5.4
And this is what we’re working on now:
- CLZ app updates for Android ( join our CLZ Android Club! )
- Further improvements for the iOS apps
- Improvements to Connect software and cloud-syncing
- …. ?
Let me go over these in more details (warning: it’s lllloooonnnnnggggg).
Most of you have probably heard all about this new service in the February 2012 edition of the Collectorz.com Newsletter, but here’s a short summary.
In October 2009, we launched Collectorz.com Connect, our fully online software for cataloging and sharing your collections. By now, many new customers are opting for just Connect to catalog their books, movies, CDs, comics or video games.
On top of that, a lot of users of the desktop software for PC & Mac have added a Connect subscription, to share and manage their collection data online.
However, we are so proud of Connect, that we want even more desktop users to experience the joys of accessing and sharing their collection data online.
I mean, how cool is this!
So we have made a BIG change.
Today, we have great news for our loyal Collectorz.com customers.
So don’t skip this blog post, it’s too important to miss. Here we go:
In July 2009, we launched Connect, our fully online cataloging and sharing software for movies, books, music, comics and video games. During the past 3 years, we have been continuously improving Connect, adding more features, improving performance and polishing the user interface.
By now, more and more new customers are opting for just Connect, using only the online software to catalog their collections.
On top of that, a lot of users of the desktop editions for PC & Mac, have added a Connect subscription, to share their collection list with friends and family and to manage their collection data from other computers and from mobile devices (e.g. their iPad).
However, we are so proud of Connect, that we want even more desktop users to enjoy Connect.
We want more users to experience the usefulness of accessing their database from anywhere, from any device and the joys of sharing their collection data online.
So we are going to make a big change (starting next week):
- We will launch a new Connect subscription type, called Connect Sync & Share.
Sync & Share is a basic Connect edition, created for desktop users who just
want to sync their collection online and share it with friends, but wish to
keep using their desktop software to manage (add/edit) their database.
In short, Sync & Share is Connect without the adding and editing features.
- Sync & Share will be FREE for PRO users of the *latest* desktop edition.
That’s right, FREE! If you own a PRO license for the latest version of our
desktop software you’re entitled to a FREE lifetime Sync & Share subscription!
In last year’s major upgrades for all Windows edition, we introduced the Find Cover feature. A simple way to find missing cover images using a Google Images search. Just point and click to add found images to your database entries.
This feature has proven to be very popular, so this week we added it to all Connect editions.
- What’s cooking for desktop, Connect and mobile?
- [CLZ News] Introducing the new CLZ Help Center: Help.CLZ.com
- [CLZ News] Manage your software on the new My.CLZ.com
- [CLZ News] Track list syncing for music / 2 new CLZ team members
- [CLZ News] Material for Android / Comic search improvements / macOS Sierra