Even though it’s been summer vacation time for several CLZ team members, we’ve been able to push out several huge releases, the most popular of which (by far) was the new Alphabet Bar. But don’t forget the huge book cloud update and CLZ Barry 2.0!
These are the topics of today’s newsletter, discussing all July releases and what’s cooking at the CLZ HQ at this very moment:
- CLZ Cloud 2.1 for Books: Sync your *own* data for 8 extra book fields
- CLZ Barry 2.0 for iOS and Android
- New “Alphabet Bar” in all 15.3 versions for PC & Mac
- Sharper Cover Thumbnails in all v15.3 versions for Windows
- Further improvements to Connect and the CLZ Cloud viewers
- What’s Cooking?
A very nice review of Book and Movie Collector on Sunilification. Here is a quote from it:
“Friends and readers would be aware of my woes of cataloguing books, DVDs and Blu Rays. I don’t own too many, roughly about 1200 books and 500 DVDs, but managing them can be a nightmare. Especially when items are regularly borrowed and returned. It took me a while to remember who hadn’t returned my copy of White Teeth or the original Festen.
For a long time now, I have been seeking a software to catalogue them or a barcode scanner that can scan and update the status of items when they are added or borrowed ( a la a public library). So far, I didn’t find anything that was complete or met all of my needs.
Last month, a friend suggested Collectorz. A visit on to their website and checking out the features of their products convinced me that they had what I was looking for. I have been using it over last couple of months and it runs like a dream. I think for people like me, who collect and manage books, I can’t recommend it enough.”
Read the complete review here.
Hectic times here at the CLZ office in Amsterdam. We’ve completed some big releases and started on a couple of huge other projects. Some of which I will disclose in this newsletter (we’re back on Android!!), but others I have to keep quiet about for now.
First, here’s the new stuff we’ve launched this month:
- CLZ Barry for Android version 1.1
- Book Collector NINE for Mac OS X
- Core for Comics / Comic Collector 5.4
And this is what we’re working on now:
- CLZ app updates for Android ( join our CLZ Android Club! )
- Further improvements for the iOS apps
- Improvements to Connect software and cloud-syncing
- …. ?
Let me go over these in more details (warning: it’s lllloooonnnnnggggg).
I know, I know, it’s been way too long since we last updated our Android apps. But this is all going to change soon. Please read on for happy Android news …
You see, during most of 2012, while the Android and iOS editions of our mobile apps were exactly the same… our iOS editions still sold twice as many copies …
Yes, that’s weird, with more Android devices being sold. Maybe the average Collectorz user is more likely to use iOS, maybe the average iOS user buys more apps, I don’t know.
Fact is, when we started developing the most frequently requested features for our apps,
( adding, editing, barcode scanning and two-way syncing through Connect )
the obvious choice was to do all this for the iPhone/iPad edition first …
Yes, I admit, that sucks if you’re on Android. But it got even worse:
The development of these 2.0 apps for iOS took way longer than expected
And all that time, progress on the Android editions was left at a standstill.
HOWEVER: here’s the good news: More »
Finally you can scan barcodes with your Android’s camera and wirelessly send them to your PC or Mac, to any program, any text box, including of course all Collectorz software!
Buy the CLZ Barry app for Android ( US $7.99 ) here,
or just search for “clz barry” in the Android Market on your device itself.
In last week’s Barry for Android update we told you that,
because of the less than perfect Android edition of the Red Laser engine,
CLZ Barry for Android would not support UPC+5 barcodes and thus could not be used for comic books.
But today I have great news:
CLZ Barry for Android *will* support comic book barcodes! More »
The ETA is still: Tuesday September 13.
At the moment, Pim and AJ are focusing on the look and feel. Because of that, the app has finally reached a state where we could make a couple of screen shots that are quite close to the final look. More »
Busy days at the CLZ HQ. Finalizing Barry for Android, 4 programmers working on the Mac software, rewriting the clz websites… and in the meantime also moving our database and millions of cover images to new hardware. Fun!
In today’s news summary for August:
- Using a Mac? Then join the CLZ Mac Club!
- CLZ Barry for iOS is live!
- Upgrading our database server (again)
- Other news (Connect, CLZ.com, Features pages)
- [CLZ News] Introducing the new CLZ Help Center: Help.CLZ.com
- [CLZ News] Manage your software on the new My.CLZ.com
- [CLZ News] Track list syncing for music / 2 new CLZ team members
- [CLZ News] Material for Android / Comic search improvements / macOS Sierra
- [CLZ News] We’re on a roll, lots of releases coming up!